Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing cage/sfc without motor in car

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 11:28 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing cage/sfc without motor in car

I'm to the point in my build where I am ready to do all the welding to install the 10 point cage, Madman torque arm, and subframe connectors (to attach the madman crossmember to).

My question is: Do I need to have the motor and transmission in the car to install all of this stuff? The directions from UMI for their sfc's said I did, and I assume this is because of the chassis will flex a little with the drive train in place.

I've watched a lot of "from scratch" builds come together on here and have rarely seen where all of the drivetrain was installed when a cage was installed.

Car is a 94 Camaro outfitted with a 406 sbc and a th400 if it makes any difference. It'll be a 90% drag car, street manners don't make any difference to me, I'll deal with them when I have it out and about.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-09-2007, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Most cars I see built are without the motor or trans in, just make sure the car is level, I'd use outriggers to tie the subframes into the rocker panel and weld your cage to those.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:23 PM
8 Second Club

dosent matter at all
Old 11-09-2007, 04:03 PM
Banned

When we build full tube cars you have no motor/trans/body/etc at first, you start with just the bars and if you are using frame rails or not you can utilize them.

Make sure all of your measurements are dead on (Measure twice, cut once) and you will be perfectly fine. If you are off, it will reflect. We have purchased a lot of high dollar items to make sure on top of human checking that are measurements are correct. A $30k chassis that you have to rebuild because you were not careful by a few degrees, oh wow
Old 11-09-2007, 05:36 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no driveline needed, as mentioned above take your time and it will show in the final product.

Derek
Old 11-09-2007, 06:40 PM
Launching!

Much appreciated guys! I'll definetly be taking my time, chromoly aint cheap, and I'm not gonna screw it up!
Old 11-10-2007, 05:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TTPMatt
When we build full tube cars you have no motor/trans/body/etc at first, you start with just the bars and if you are using frame rails or not you can utilize them.

Make sure all of your measurements are dead on (Measure twice, cut once) and you will be perfectly fine. If you are off, it will reflect. We have purchased a lot of high dollar items to make sure on top of human checking that are measurements are correct. A $30k chassis that you have to rebuild because you were not careful by a few degrees, oh wow

I know what you mean, in my line of work a hole in the wrong spot or not being carefull handeling someing can cost 50-60k+

Take you time, measure as many times as you need before you cut or drill.

To the poster, I want to built a 25.2 car in a few years and I plan to take my time. Do a lot of homework and ask a lot of questions and force yourself to take your time and you will do fine. You screw up when you rush.