Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

ok, for all the people with amps in the trunk

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 12:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ok, for all the people with amps in the trunk

ok, i've now been at this for 2months. how the hell do you guys get your power from the battery (or the aux battery connector) to the trunk? I can't find any space in the firewall that would let me run the cable (and be able to get to it from inside the cab) to run it along to the trunk. any info would be greatly appreciated.

NetrixTardis
Old 11-11-2007, 01:36 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The grommet for running your power wire through the firewall is located behind your PCM. Just remove it carefully and you'll see the large bundle of wires going through it. It is the only place I know of to gain access to the interior of a 4th gen F-body.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:38 PM
Banned

Picture for reference. You PCM may look different from this one as they vary from year to year.
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1...nF-bodyPCM.jpg
Old 11-11-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

just drill a hole, thats what i did!
Old 11-11-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^ +1 for that. Dont run your power wire from the Aux. Run it straight from the terminal of the battery.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Click on my signature z98. I have pictures that tell you what you have to do to get through the fire wall.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

Don't drill a hole, there's a lot of wire in that vicinity you might catch with the drill bit accidentally. There is a grommet directly behind the PCM. remove it just like Kee Audio suggested, and the grommet does have some wire going through it, but it is huge. here's a pic of my power wire going through the grommet after the PCM has been removed (oh, and BTW that's 1/0 gauge wire):

Old 11-15-2007, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Snootch
Don't drill a hole, there's a lot of wire in that vicinity you might catch with the drill bit accidentally. There is a grommet directly behind the PCM. remove it just like Kee Audio suggested, and the grommet does have some wire going through it, but it is huge. here's a pic of my power wire going through the grommet after the PCM has been removed (oh, and BTW that's 1/0 gauge wire):

That's what I did.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by QWIK Z of OP
just drill a hole, thats what i did!
Why would you ever drill a hole in your car to run a wire...the grommet everyone is talking about takes about 48 seconds to access...it's on the same side as the battery...and it's got enough room to run some SERIOUS wiring through it. Drilling a hole is never the right solution. Even everything I have mounted in the back for stereo equipment, I spent the 10 minutes per thing to make some brackets to attach said things to existing fasteners in the car...like my amp rack is mounted to the same bolts that hold the berger panel on and one more I think for the trunk latch...just bought some random scrap metal from Home Depot for like $4 and bent it and drilled holes in it...way better than ruining the car...5 more minutes with some black spraypaint after you know they fit, then let them dry and then start mounting stuff.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:02 PM
TECH Regular

i like running mine on the drivers side. ive hooked up many systems and on every vehicle i do, i get a screwdriver and poke a hole in the rubber grommet around the steering shaft. there is an auxilary + terminal on the driver side, on camaros. if done this way all of the wires can be ran together and it will be easier to get to the head unit from your amp.