Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to Install my own headers! Any Help Gratefull fellas!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 10:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to Install my own headers! Any Help Gratefull fellas!

I have a 01 Ws6 And I just purchased Hooker Headers and the Y Pipe, I would like to do this myself but would like to get some input from ppl who have or has tried to install headers! I would like to make this as easy as possible, the dealer just sniffed there nose up to me And performance shops just wanted to make a sale!
Old 06-17-2003, 11:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Going to Install my own headers! Any Help Gratefull fellas!

Do a search, is not too hard with basic tools but is time consuming. This http://www.ls1info.com/article.php?sid=195 is a starting point but has no pictures.
Old 06-18-2003, 03:59 AM
TECH Addict

Take your time, and expect some setbacks, but you'll overcome them. If you get stuck, take a short break and come back to it. Be careful installing the header bolts, don't overtighten them. Consider reusing the stock gaskets, they're really good gaskets. Be careful handling the O2 sensors. You might need an air wrench to remove the cats; I couldn't break the nuts loose by hand. It makes life so much easier if you rent a pipe expander for fitting the y-pipe (at least with my RT y-pipe that was the case). Have fun and enjoy the setbacks (easier said than done) as well as the victories. That's all I can think of at the moment.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Re- use the stock gaskets & manifold bolts. The hooker gaskets are paper crap and wil eventually fail- I've reused my stock manifold gaskets through 3 installs with no leaks. BEWARE of the bolts hooker gives you- they are total sh#t! They are so short it makes starting them very difficule, and they may strip the threads on the heads- use the stock manifold bolts. I had to do the install alone, and holding the headers to get the first two bolts started is really a problem on the passenger side. What worked for me was to wrap some wire around the back tube- I could pull on the wire to raise/lower the header so I could get the bolts started.
Old 06-21-2003, 12:59 AM
Teching In

Thank you for you info so far fellas as well ty for your time too. I appreciate you tips and advice thanks for the link for Ls1 Database "BlackZ28spt" BTW Black where in Indiana are ya from? Plz feel free to keep adding to my list of tips ppl. All info will be useful.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:16 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I got 4 cinder blocks from the hardware store to get the car high enough to let me work. I set the tires on the cinder blocks and had plenty of room. I agree with the other posts. DO NOT USE THE HOOKER BOLTS. If you feel the need to do that anyway have an 8MM X 1.25 tap handy. Ask me how I know. Also the I pipe will need to be dropped to slip onto the end of the Y pipe. The hooke Y pipe is a llot longer than the factory pipe. It will fit but needs some work. Other than that it was easy. Just took time and a little ppatience.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:27 AM
Teching In

OK I will go with what everyone says about the Header Bolts! But ya all forgot to give me some idea's of bolts to use. If it is just normal hardware bolts I shall go get some. But if it is a special type. Plz let me know! ty for all info
Old 06-22-2003, 11:23 PM
TECH Regular

I'm installing my Hooker LT this week too and I'm planing on using new OEM header gaskets from GM ($10.55 each) and the old bolts off the stock headers.
Old 06-22-2003, 11:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for you info so far fellas as well ty for your time too. I appreciate you tips and advice thanks for the link for Ls1 Database "BlackZ28spt" BTW Black where in Indiana are ya from? Plz feel free to keep adding to my list of tips ppl. All info will be useful.
I live in Hobart. Know where that is? NW corner in Lake County. Only for the summer though spend the school year in West Lafayette.

Let us know how it all goes. I will be installing Jet-Hot LT's with a buddy on July 2nd or 3rd.
Old 06-22-2003, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I finished my header istall yesterday and it was pretty straightforward. I used a 3 ton truck jack that would extend 24" and I bought a set of truck jack stands that raised 25" for the front. I had the rear tires sitting on 8" cinder blocks. With this setup I had all the room I could ever want underneath the car.

I removed the coil packs for more room. The passenger side slid right in and bolted right up in 10 mins. The driver side required removing the oil filter, diverter plate directly above the filter base, and the steering shaft. The shaft is held on with two bolts and will need to be pried off the base with a large screwdriver. Reinstall is the reverse. Other than that the drivers side slid right in.

The ORPY was a little tricky but the main problem was getting it to slide into my I pipe as it had already been clamped down tight with the stock Y and was a tight fit.

HTH
Old 06-23-2003, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dont get frusterated, I am assuming you got longtubes. They are a pain to install, and if you can deal with the clearence issues, you'll love them.
Old 06-23-2003, 02:52 PM
Teching In

Is it nessacary to have tuning done to my car after installing the header sys. Or do i wait untill they are installed and see if a code comes up!
Old 06-23-2003, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, but you can still drive the car.
Old 06-23-2003, 05:58 PM
Restricted User

This was my first install for LT headers.

Jack up & support car at least 24". I drained oil, removeed filter, and the fitting right above the filter (2x 10mm bolts), remove the steering shaft (1x 10mm bolt on each end), unbolt started and support (no need to remove completely), remove coilpacks, plugs, and associated emissions if not needed. I got gaskets from Checkers for $12, they are OEM replacements, and I used Stage 8 Locking header bolts ($34 from Thunder). After this, its cake walk. Slide header up, support or wire, and hop-up top, start two middle bolts, cinch down until you can start the end bolts. Once end bolts are started, remove center bolts, slide gasket down into place, install all bolts and tighten. install plugs, coilpacks, and wires, and if needed Emissions items, move to other side and same thing, the last bolt, by #8 cyl, was a dirty woman c-word, but after a buddy showed up to wiggle the header, no problem. replace the fitting above oil filter, and filter. add oil, reconnect the steering arm! I have TD's so no Y pipe on my car. Sorry. But this took me 5hr 15 min first time on the floor of my garage. mostly by myself at that.
You got the idea of the not using the bolts that came w/ headers, I too have seen and heard too many problems with them. Mine have been on for a month, no retorqueing and no leaks! I love the Jet Hots and the Stage 8 bolts.

Good-luck.

Charlie.
Old 07-02-2003, 03:20 PM
Teching In

Well fellas thx to your tips and hints. I am glad to say that Headers are installed and runing great, although i will have to live with the hissing rasping noise. MY god its loud! the only advice i have to give to ppl that read this in future, Make sure you have time to dry fit all fitting b4 you actually install, I didnt and i was layin under the car tryin to fit them. it was hell Thank you : Cat3,smokeFord,Ryan02SS,BlkZ,Ls1maniac,SteveBurger ,Preadator,RoadRunner.... meep meeep