Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Hurst Shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hurst Shifter?

Whats the difference between the regular shifter(like in my non-WS6 formula) and the hurst shifters in the WS6/SS cars? Sorry if this is a noob question.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A stock shifter vs a GM Hurst shifter I believe is what you are asking. The GM Hurst shifter will have shorter throws for the shift points, and it will be smoother, or easier to shift (or in other words, it won't feel as mushy when you shift).

There is also a difference between the GM Hurst shifters that come in the SS and say Firehawks, and the aftermarket Hurst shifters. The aftermarket Hurst shifters are even shorter throws, and make it even easier to shift than the GM ones.

Opinion can also be about the "feel" of what you are looking for. Most everyone likes the GM or aftermarket options more than they like the stock shifters. Some people like the GM Hurst's over the aftermarket ones.

I have had many different shifters over the years in different F-bodies (I have had GM Hurst, aftermarket Hurst, B&M, Pro 5.0). I like the Pro 5.0 a lot, but on my Z28 in my sig, I have the GM Hurst with a short stick, and I friggin love how it feels.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:24 AM
TECH Addict

If you replace the stick with a short stick, you will give the shifter a more solid feel. I'd try that first as because of how the stock shifter is designed, it's a stick in a rubber piece that is bolted in to the shifter. That's what tends to give a mushy feel to shifting.

The GM Hurst shifter reduces the throw distance of the shift but it doesn't change that mushy feel which only gets worse with the age and use of the shifter. While reduced, the shifts still have this "odd numbers are shorter distance than even number shifts". The stocker will feel like 2nd gear is double the distance from 1st gear. The Hurst shortens both shifts up a lot, but the ratio of distance from neutral will still be biased to first as the shorter shift.

To fix that problem, aftermarket shifters reduce the shifts even further and bias the shifter towards the even numbers. The result is that odds and evens feel relatively equal distance. (Stock is like 1:2, where aftermarket feels like 1:1.2).

Lastly aftermarket shifters have adjustable spring tension and adjustable stops. Spring tension is a preference thing, if your shift is too enthusiastic, you can find yourself doing the 2-1 shift instead of the 2-3 shift. They put in much stiffer springs to force you into third to prevent that. The adjustable stops are also for people that like to bang gears hard, but that's a moot point these days as the t-56 has internal stops to prevent that.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the info, it was very helpful. Where can I get the GM hurst shifter? The dealership, or maybe find a used one?
Old 11-12-2007, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Look in the 4 Sale section. Thats where I found mine, and there were plenty to pick from, which made it pretty cheep.

Quick Reply: Hurst Shifter?