New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can anyone stop me from selling my car?!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can anyone stop me from selling my car?!!

ey guys..

I recenty just bought a z28, Traded in my Evolution 8...

My Z28 is an M6 and It has about 72k miles on it right now...

I sold my evo b/c I wanted to try something different, and I love corvettes, that's why the reason I want to try the ls1.
Plus I do love the sound of V8s...

Now the pros: Sound of V8, Low end torque, and power potential..

Now the cons:
-When I go over 60+ mph, I can hear the wind noises coming from the side window, it feels like a good amount of air coming in! - Can this be fixed?
-Also when the A/C is on, My floormat on the passenger side gets wet, the water falls out from the middle..? What is it and can it be fixed?
-My drivers door, When I push the lock button at the door or by using the remote, It won't lock, although the passenger will, Can this be fixed?
-I get horrible gas mileage,.. Full tank of gas only gets me 220 - 230 miles.. 50/50 mix driving., How can that be fixed?
-When its raining, it leaks through my t-top.. Is it expensive to fix?
-When rolling the windows up/down , They are very very slow, both my side and the passenger, How can that be fixed?
-The rear trunk got stuck when I push the trunk release button, How can that be fixed?
-Also when the car first started, (Cold), The volt gauge seems to be going crazy, like going left and right.. ?, My headlights would go dim and flashes.. I just did the alternator change like 15,000 miles ago?..

I'm sorry guys but I'm just getting really fed up about this.!
there's just so many problems about this car?.
Can anyone help me out please? I love my car and I do not want to get rid of it!!
Old 11-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Launching!

ok.

1. the sound you hear going over 60mph, yep thats not gna get fixed. good purchase on the Z28 but remember, its not a corvette, its a Camaro. they are high dollar (persay) cars.
2. the water leaking is not normal, might have something to do with the tubes connecting to your A/C unit. just get it checked out.
3. you might just need a new motor for the locks? (i honestly dont know)
4. haha, gas milage. 220-230 a full tank is normal in the city. i get about 230ish to a tank which is 15.2 mpg. HWY i get 24. use 6th gear as much as you can going over 50mph.
5. t-tops. if you can find an f-body that t-tops DONT leak, take that car and steal it. lol jk dont really do taht, but, its probably just the seals, they arent that expensive. this is my first t-top car and it barely leaks, im not too worried. its like 100-200$??? maybe
6. your windows, mine are slow too.. probably needs a new motor.
7. rear trunk, also might need a new latch motor, they tend to go out
8. the volt gauge problem... good question. i have no answer.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blackhawk_02
ok.

1. the sound you hear going over 60mph, yep thats not gna get fixed. good purchase on the Z28 but remember, its not a corvette, its a Camaro. they are high dollar (persay) cars.
2. the water leaking is not normal, might have something to do with the tubes connecting to your A/C unit. just get it checked out.
3. you might just need a new motor for the locks? (i honestly dont know)
4. haha, gas milage. 220-230 a full tank is normal in the city. i get about 230ish to a tank which is 15.2 mpg. HWY i get 24. use 6th gear as much as you can going over 50mph.
5. t-tops. if you can find an f-body that t-tops DONT leak, take that car and steal it. lol jk dont really do taht, but, its probably just the seals, they arent that expensive. this is my first t-top car and it barely leaks, im not too worried. its like 100-200$??? maybe
6. your windows, mine are slow too.. probably needs a new motor.
7. rear trunk, also might need a new latch motor, they tend to go out
8. the volt gauge problem... good question. i have no answer.

I've dealt with the same fustration as you have with having a car you love, but has so many problems that keep coming up you feel like your at a loss, and get to a point where you don't even want to drive it sometimes.

I was fed up with problems from my 180k mile camaro and at one point I put it up for sale, thinkin it would solve all my problems. BUT, what I realized is that it would just be another mistake I didn't want to end up regretting. I fell in love with my car the first moment I saw it, and even more once I hopped in and drove it for the first time, what a blast! I realized that the problems could be fixed, and they were going to happen inevitably on any car, not just my camaro. So I bought my Acura, as my daily driver, something with low miles, and no rattles. Of course it was much more expensive than my 'camaro, but the whole point of my camaro was to have a project, something I could make my own. My Acura is just another beater on the road, nothing special about it besides the stereo. But people notice the Z, and they compliment it because its not something they see all the time. That, and you can hear it coming a mile away lol. But the point is, now that i don't have to drive it every day and complain about the issues it has, I can put some time and money into it to replace the parts and have it be just like new again, it can be done. The fustration you have with a car with issues is you feel like you'll never get it figured out, as if the car is doomed to be like that forever, when really its not.

So, I think before you decided to put it up for sale, you really think about whether or not you'd rather bit the bullet and put some money into your ride, or if you'd rather pass the burden on to someone else, and get something else. The problems you've listed are all very common, and lots of info on here on how to fix it without going to a dealer.

- Rob
Old 11-12-2007, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

Thank ^, I actually decided to sell my Camaro a month ago.. But I come to think of it ..
I don't really know if I wanted to sell it yet,
If I were to sell it, I wanna go back to an Evo b/c of the handling capabilities.
Idk about the Camaro, But I assume my car is meant for Straight way.. Not on the curvy road.
I really wish my Camaro can handle like an evo too... !!

Other than that, I'm satisfied with my car
Just those things that I've listed and the handling...
Old 11-12-2007, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your wind noise and the t-tops leaking are both probably caused by windows and t-tops out of adjustment. If not positioned correctly they will leak like a screen door.

Gas miliage is directly liked to your right foot, but 230 ish to a tank is on the OK side.

A/C leak is a cloged drain. It comes out of the firewall above the passenger side cat/header.

NO RWD car (maybe a Vette) will handle like your AWD Evo did. I'm sure you knew that before you bought it.

Re'
Old 11-12-2007, 11:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the handling problem can be fixed with a little aftermarket help, these cars arent total slouches when it comes to cornering but they do need a little boost. what you lack in cornering is made up for by the gobs of torque coming out of the turn Strano is the name of the suspension guru around here, i think
Old 11-12-2007, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Replace the stock shocks, they are total garbage(even if you have low miles). Bigger sway bars really help as well.

As for the trunk not releasing:
http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

Window motors need to be replaced, they are junk.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like you just bought a car that needed some work. Given a low buying price, there is bound to be some work that must be done. I know the little things can be annoying.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thaigleshmk
-When I go over 60+ mph, I can hear the wind noises coming from the side window, it feels like a good amount of air coming in! - Can this be fixed?
Check your door and window seals to make sure everything is sealed but that is one of the quirks of these cars. Everybody I know has the same problem with their cars.

-Also when the A/C is on, My floormat on the passenger side gets wet, the water falls out from the middle..? What is it and can it be fixed?
This is not normal and like has already been said is most likely due to one of the tubes being plugged.

-My drivers door, When I push the lock button at the door or by using the remote, It won't lock, although the passenger will, Can this be fixed?
I don't know alot of the electrical system on these cars but I would guess it's some sort of problem on the drivers side with the lock

-I get horrible gas mileage,.. Full tank of gas only gets me 220 - 230 miles.. 50/50 mix driving., How can that be fixed?
That is about normal I'm afraid

New T-Top seals probably will take care of that. I wanna say they are around $200

-When rolling the windows up/down , They are very very slow, both my side and the passenger, How can that be fixed??
There is a kit available from one of the sponsors here that will take care of that. http://www.autotrix.net/product_page...indow_fix.html

-The rear trunk got stuck when I push the trunk release button, How can that be fixed?
Sorry, this one I can't really help you with but once again I would guess a problem with the latch or release switch

-Also when the car first started, (Cold), The volt gauge seems to be going crazy, like going left and right.. ?, My headlights would go dim and flashes.. I just did the alternator change like 15,000 miles ago?..
Somebody else will have to help you out with this. Once again the electrical and charging system are not my areas of knowledge.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:56 AM
TECH Regular

The quick fix for the trunk not popping up all the way should be to twist the rubber stops up a little more. They should react like screws. Mine did the same thing.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thank ^, I actually decided to sell my Camaro a month ago.. But I come to think of it ..
I don't really know if I wanted to sell it yet,
If I were to sell it, I wanna go back to an Evo b/c of the handling capabilities.
Idk about the Camaro, But I assume my car is meant for Straight way.. Not on the curvy road.
I really wish my Camaro can handle like an evo too... !!

Other than that, I'm satisfied with my car
Just those things that I've listed and the handling...
As far as handling goes, contact Sam Strano at stranoparts.com.
The weakest link suspension wise with these cars are the shocks, they cannot damper anything. Just a set of Koni SA's on the car and you will be amazed with the difference. You have much better steering and chassis feel, no more fishtailing or wheel hop, and the car becomes very neutral in turns. You can confidently throw your car into a turn way faster than you ever dreamed of with stock shocks, have complete control over the way it behaves, and rocket out of the corner without snap oversteer. With the suspension mods in my sig, I honestly wouldnt be surprised if an (stock)EVO had trouble keeping up with me in the corners, even with the 200lbs or so weight advantage and AWD, this thing is on rails!
Old 11-13-2007, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

For T-tops leaking, my passenger side one did a little until I found that the gasket had gotten pinched under the plastic cover that goes over the latch hole. Check to make sure the gaskets aren't pinched or folded funny.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Like already stated a window alignment and new stripping should fix this problem. But, if the stripping looks new try putting some vaseline on the stripping, this will seal it better.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

The A/C is clogged. I had that problem and just unclogged it. Everything is fixable and not major.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

Might seem obvious, but as far as the t-tops leaking, make sure you are putting them in right. They have to slide in on the inside, then drop down. Mine were leaking too until i realized i was sliding them in all the way and pinching the outer seal.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Resident

For the hatch problem, I tried the write up on adding another spring to the latch, and t didn't work for me. Just dealt with it since 2003, until a couple weeks ago. While tearing apart a 98 Trans Am, I noticed that it had a different latch. Bolted it up on my car and it now works perfectly. Wish I would have known that a long time ago.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:38 AM
12 Second Club

The cars almost 8 years old. unless it was sitting in someones garage your gunna have some problems. Remember these cars were meant to be fast and affordable. There strengths are mostly in the straightway due to the amount of power and RWD. A lot of members have built some great handling cars with the addition of after market suspension products. The suspension forum would probably be helpful to you.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:09 AM
Launching!

you will regret it.

im selling mine to and i already feel like crap.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

Agreed, for the power/price ratio, you can't expect a car that doesn't leak, rattle, squeak and sound like it's about ready to fall apart when you hit a big bump. The wind going through my windows drives me insane, you can look and you'll see where its coming from. I just took a nut and placed it inside the weatherstripping to make it push it out towards the window. Took care of my problem. lol
Old 11-15-2007, 01:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by slikrider20
Agreed, for the power/price ratio, you can't expect a car that doesn't leak, rattle, squeak and sound like it's about ready to fall apart when you hit a big bump.
That just shows you how terrible the factory shocks are. Mine does none of the above... Invest in some Koni SAs, the only thing you will regret is not doing it sooner.