Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics of fenders trimmed

Old 11-12-2007, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics of fenders trimmed

Please post photos of your fenders trimmed for the bigger tires.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:19 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

http://teamprickracing.com/95z/bigtires/
Old 11-14-2007, 10:05 AM
Launching!

brady/madman,

how long was that string?
Would it be more accurate to use the center of the axle for measurement purposes?
Old 11-14-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the pics brady.

So in the rear the body panel is just cut and the metal is bent? I wanted mine to have some kind of lip because I am tucking in my tire and am trying to keep it looking as factory as possible.

I also have the factory ground effects on my car and wanted to keep those on so looks like I'll have a bit more fab work =/

Any other photos?
Old 11-14-2007, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Twin76mmTA
brady/madman,

how long was that string?
Would it be more accurate to use the center of the axle for measurement purposes?
My guess would be that they don't center the string because it would be shorter and making the string longer would make a larger circle so it transitions less. and won't look as rounded.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:25 PM
Launching!

thats with stock length arms too.... interesting to see how everything fits.

i noticed the picture says 15 3/16

is that 15 3/16 from that stud? what is the measurement to the front?
Old 11-14-2007, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can't tell, how much space is needed on a 315 60 15 radial tire? I am not sure how much they grow but I want mine to fit tight, I don't like how it looks with a big gap.

Maybe 3/4" in front and back.

I want mine to have a lip in the back so I think I will cut the plastic and then glass the fender lip back on.

What are you guys using to cut the plastic material in back? I know it cuts easy, I cut a piece of the front nose skin on thebottom.

I was thinking of a hack saw blade by hand and just saw it a little at a time. Then reshaping the piece I cut off and glassing it back on then instead of beating the metal back, just cutting it and fabbing up a piece to fill the space so there are no gaps.

Is anyone just moving the wheel base back and inch or so and cutting material just off the back?
Old 11-14-2007, 04:02 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

people here locally have vut the metal behind the fender and reinstalled it then during the run it will brush against the tire but the tire rubs it away...after a few passes tit stops and leave a nice tight gap pefect
Old 11-14-2007, 04:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by chrismorales75
I can't tell, how much space is needed on a 315 60 15 radial tire? I am not sure how much they grow but I want mine to fit tight, I don't like how it looks with a big gap.

Maybe 3/4" in front and back.

I want mine to have a lip in the back so I think I will cut the plastic and then glass the fender lip back on.

What are you guys using to cut the plastic material in back? I know it cuts easy, I cut a piece of the front nose skin on thebottom.

I was thinking of a hack saw blade by hand and just saw it a little at a time. Then reshaping the piece I cut off and glassing it back on then instead of beating the metal back, just cutting it and fabbing up a piece to fill the space so there are no gaps.

Is anyone just moving the wheel base back and inch or so and cutting material just off the back?
in one of the pictures is shows a razor blade blade box cutter, i would think that it would leave a much cleaner cut than a saw.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used a hacksaw blade with fine teeth it cut that plastic perfect, then I just used a little sand paper on the edges and it is nice and smooth without a knick or one f'd up spot.

I used the same pattern I made for the front in the back and it looks a lot like the factory shape but just a little stretched and actually it smoothed out the sharp curve from the factory in the rear part, it tappers a lot smoother like in the front.

I stretched the front 1 1/2" and the rear a little over 1 1/4, I am going to move the rear end forward a hair so I made it that way, there will be a hair over an inch clearance in the front and back.

I really don't need much since I am tucking my tire like 1.5-1.75" from the fender lip so the tread won't be close to the lip anyways. Should be around 32" or so.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

can you take some pics showing where you measured from and the distance.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know when I can take pics I don't have a camera.

I made an exact copy of the front factory wheel well pattern out of cardboard.

I put a ruler on top of the ground effects and measured in 1.5" and made a mark.

On the rear I measured from the top of the ground effects and made a mark 1 1/4".

I added some examples on the photo look for text on the picture.

I started on the ground effects I cut those pretty close to straight down.

On the front body I tilted the pattern I made to meet the 1.5" mark on the bottom and then ran the top of the pattern to run into the fender lip and exit where the body has that seam on it.

On the rear I tilted the pattern to meet the mark at the bottom and then lined up the top of the pattern so it cuts into the fender lip 1" below the screw that holds the rear bumper cover.

On a 30" tire I will have 1" in front and 1" in the back of clearance where the tire is closest to the fender lip.

My tire will tuck in a lot so I don't need as much clearance because the tread on my tire won't be in front of the fender lips.

The pattern looks a lot like the front factory wheel well cut out, it very slightly angles outward and when it mets the ground effects it is made to run straight down so the pattern has a very gradual curve and fits nice around the tire.

I had a junk truck tire that is 30" and just tucked it in and evened it between the wheel well and it fits nice and won't rub any place even with the car pretty low. I think the fender lip will be about 27" off the ground.

I found a pic that has a very similar curve to mine to give you an idea till I take photos of mine.

Mine has less angle on the back it is angled like the front on this photo, and then where the body mets the ground effects it cuts straight down from there.
Attached Thumbnails Pics of fenders trimmed-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by chrismorales75; 11-18-2007 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:49 PM
8 Second Club

Take a sawsall and follow the tire useing it as a guide . the space from the blade to the guard is perfect.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't cut something like this with a sawzaw, it is too hard to turn and control. I used a cut off wheel to get close to the pattern then used a grinder to finish close to the lines and smooth any bumps or edges.

On the rear I used a hacksaw blade by hand and cut the plastic close then took the grinder and smoothed to the line it leaves the edge perfectly smooth.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Took pics will post them tonight.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Thanks,

Don't know how frustrating getting them to fit "perfect" has gotten.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default New pics

Here are the fenders trimmed sorry but still don"t have the big tires on it but you can see the shape.
Attached Thumbnails Pics of fenders trimmed-0187186-r1-e001-s.jpg   Pics of fenders trimmed-0187186-r1-e011-s.jpg   Pics of fenders trimmed-0187186-r1-e012-s.jpg   Pics of fenders trimmed-0187186-r1-e013-s.jpg   Pics of fenders trimmed-0187186-r1-e014-s.jpg  

Old 11-21-2007, 05:22 PM
Launching!

Lookin good Chris
Old 11-21-2007, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's amazing what you can do with a sawzaw, angle grinder, drill, hacksaw and a pair of tin snips lol.

BTW this is my first mini tub job I am happy with how it is turning out too. So thanks for the compliment, much better than hearing damn that looks f;d up LOL.

Now all I need to do is tuck that 315 60 15 under there on that 15x12 rim and fill up that space and lay some rubber down in the drive way

Oh if you notice what I said about using the same pattern I made from the front on the back it evens out the shape see how similar the front and rear look now with them both cut the same.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pics of fenders trimmed