Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

im going to be ordering a new rearend soon

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 10:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default im going to be ordering a new rearend soon

and i have a couple of questions...... i have an 02 ta m6 currently with 3.73's and no active tcs(i dont have a switch for but i do get a low trac light if i hit a bump everyonce in a while). i plan on going to a moser 12 bolt with c clip eliminators anyway so my questions are

1)what is a spool?

2)what are the advantages over having one and not having one?

3)Which is stronger a 30 spline or 33 spline?

4)what is the difference between the 1310 yoke and the 1350 yoke?
Old 11-14-2007, 10:35 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 96ta
and i have a couple of questions...... i have an 02 ta m6 currently with 3.73's and no active tcs(i dont have a switch for but i do get a low trac light if i hit a bump everyonce in a while). i plan on going to a moser 12 bolt with c clip eliminators anyway so my questions are

1)what is a spool?

2)what are the advantages over having one and not having one?

3)Which is stronger a 30 spline or 33 spline?

4)what is the difference between the 1310 yoke and the 1350 yoke?
A spool is used in place of a differential usually in racing applications. A standard differential allows the outside wheel in a turn to rotate faster than the inside wheel since it has a longer distance to travel around said turn...that keeps tire wear down, and keeps your stability. A spool does not allow this to happen...both wheels turn at the same rate regardless.

Pros - there are no small spider gears to break, no clutches to wear, etc.

Cons - handling will suffer, especially in low speed situations (like in your driveway or in a parking lot), and your tires will also wear faster since they'll be scrubbing all across the ground pulling into parking spots.

For a track only car (drag racing), a spool is a good choice. For a street car...well, I personally don't think they belong on the street (but many people on here would disagree with that statement).

A 33 spline axle is stronger than a 30 spline axle.

A 1350 yoke is physically larger than a 1310. Stock, an F-body is equipped with a Sagniaw 3R yoke (at least mine was). The bigger the yoke, the more power it should be able to handle, keeping in mind that you'll also be upgrading the u-joint to match the larger yoke.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks alot