Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

differential shims

Old 11-14-2007, 10:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default differential shims

Im about to swap out my stock diff for a zexel torsen unit. Can I just re use my shims that I take, as long as i put them back in the exact same way they came out. Or do I need to order more?
Old 11-14-2007, 11:51 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sdimess84
Im about to swap out my stock diff for a zexel torsen unit. Can I just re use my shims that I take, as long as i put them back in the exact same way they came out. Or do I need to order more?
It's a shot in the dark going from one differential to the next. We use an adjustable carrier shim with 2 hard halves and an assortment of thin shims between. Buying some from the OEM is just about impossible these days.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the stock shims is probably a good starting point, but you will almost definately need to adjust the shims for the backlash and gear mesh to be right. the shim pack scott is talking about can be bought in a lot of places, I got mine from an install kit scott sold me, but I also found just the shim kit at a local driveline shop. your best bet though is to get the whole kit from scott so you have everything you need to install your new diff.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Scott was refering to... "Super Shims" are worth the simple expense to save yourself a lot of time and headache.

I probably have 2500 OE shims. It has taken me 18+ years to compile them, mostly from blown up differentials and just making the super shims as part of my normal install kit. Its nice to have the shims... but it suck when you are looking to make a 0.001 - 0.003" change and you have to go through 2500 shims to get your preload and backlash in one hit. With the super shims you have known shim thickness and you just measure, pull out what you dont need or transfer it over to the other side and your done.

My advise... by some super shims and save yourself time and sanity.

Search this Thread