Sponsored by:

Oil Change Light ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 05:32 PM
al
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Change Light ?

I use Mobil 1 and my oil change light is on after 4200 miles and less than 3 months on the oil. Using syn. oil do I need to change the oil when the computer says so or can I go for longer?
Old 02-02-2003, 05:58 PM
10 Second Club

Default Re: Oil Change Light ?

Too many factors are actually needed to determine in just how many miles to change your synthetic (or any) oil.
Stop and go driving? Highway only? Racing? Dusty conditions?
The dashboard reminder isn't really that accurate. The only way to really know is to maybe do an oil analysis and that can help tell you if it's ok to go over 5k miles (or 3 months etc.), remember, even if the oil is in good shape the filter gets dirty as well.
I use Mobil 1/AC Delco filters and change them at around 5k+- miles or less than one year, which ever comes first.
Old 02-03-2003, 05:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The oil change light is based on conventional oil. Your Mobil 1 can easily go 5-6k. Many people go way longer.

Put it this way. GM recommends a one year/15k interval with the Corvette. I don't think it's smart to go that long without oil analysis, however it does show their confidence in Mobil 1.

I've seen many oil analysis results with Mobil 1 that prove it's still safe to run well beyond 5k.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:38 AM
Staging Lane

the only time i have seen my change oil light is upon engine startup with all the other lights, i dunno why
Old 02-03-2003, 09:58 PM
al
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the info guys. In my Monte Carlo I use to go 6 months (about 9k miles) without a oil change with Mobil 1. My Dad and Uncel also go 6 months in their newer trucks. Since I got the Camaro I have been changing the oil every 4 months. How much dose a oil analysis cost and I know that the prices vary from area to area. Also the first time my Oil Change Light came on it stayed on. This time it comes on and goes off after I have been driving for a while. Thanks for any more responces.
Old 02-03-2003, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

That system is a PITA. All the car does is use some algorithims to guess when is likely to change it. I've never listened to it.

If you're tired of looking at it, here is how to reset it:

1) Turn on ignition but DON'T crank it.
2) Push and hold the trip odometer reset near the odometer.
3) After about 10 seconds or so, you'll see the light flash a couple of times and then go out. If you turn off the car and then crank it, it shouldn't stay on any longer than the lamp check cycle. That should do it!
Old 02-04-2003, 09:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by al:
<strong> Thanks for the info guys. In my Monte Carlo I use to go 6 months (about 9k miles) without a oil change with Mobil 1. My Dad and Uncel also go 6 months in their newer trucks. Since I got the Camaro I have been changing the oil every 4 months. How much dose a oil analysis cost and I know that the prices vary from area to area. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Blackstone Labs charges between $20 to $35 depending on the level of service you want.

Here is their site:

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

For a first timer, I recommend you spend the $35 on the Terry Dyson service package, as that will give you the most detailed explanation of your oil analysis results, and then you can have Terry Dyson's services to answer any future questions you may have on your oil analysis.

I use a lab up here in Ontario, but still use Terry Dyson to interpret my results, as he's been extremely helpful to me in offer advice and insider tips. He charges $10 for interpretation of the results, from any lab. It's just recently that he's teamed up with Blackstone in order to get a package where you send the sample to them and then they send the results to Terry to interpret.

Terry's contact info is here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/terry.html