Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Textra exoskel twin disk and its fried with just 700 lbs of torque wth

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 11:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fried exo skel twin disk after 5 months, edited with pics

Well.

I have had the clutch since june, and the car is making 600hp and 700 torque on the jug. It is blowing through the clutch. It holds the car when n/a just fine but on the bottle is a different story. I just started spraying it as well.

I though this clutch could take a good 1k foot pounds of torque. What a crock.

Anybody got any idea on how to go about handling this with textralia?

I cannot believe i spent $1300+ on a clutch that cannot take 700 foot pounds of torque.

I am so agrivated right now.

Grrr.

*edited*

While the clutch was being removed, it was noted that the pressure plate was not being released properly, and there was too much room in there. The clutch pretty much started to grind against the flywheel which became a sander.

Last edited by 50_Dave; 12-26-2007 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Updated with pics
Old 11-18-2007, 01:41 AM
10 Second Club

this is what I dont want to hear when i am getting ready to buy one. They might take care of it for you give them a call
Old 11-18-2007, 07:06 AM
Launching!

Anybody have a number?

The thing handled the n/a power quite well. Im pretty sure it is just a freak occurance, but I sure hope it doesnt happen again with a new one.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:34 AM
Dex
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 50_Dave
Anybody have a number?

The thing handled the n/a power quite well. Im pretty sure it is just a freak occurance, but I sure hope it doesnt happen again with a new one.
God forbid you actually talk to them about it before you start the bashing
Old 11-18-2007, 10:42 AM
TECH Regular

Well.

I have had the clutch since june, and the car is making 600hp and 700 torque on the jug. It is blowing through the clutch. It holds the car when n/a just fine but on the bottle is a different story. I just started spraying it as well.

I though this clutch could take a good 1k foot pounds of torque. What a crock.

Anybody got any idea on how to go about handling this with textralia?

I cannot believe i spent $1300+ on a clutch that cannot take 700 foot pounds of torque.

I am so agrivated right now.

Grrr.
Any 60' times with it?
Old 11-18-2007, 11:03 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Dex
God forbid you actually talk to them about it before you start the bashing

How the hell is that bashing? Did you not read the part where i put, "i think it is a freak occurance"? Im giving them the benefit of the doubt right there.

The best 60 I cut on it was a 1.73 60. I never pushed it as I have not installed my DTE brace yet. I have not sprayed it in first. Only in second and up. The car loved the 75 shot, but did not care for the bigger shot.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:25 PM
TECH Junkie

do you have a progressive controller with the jug. If not this can help not killing clutches by jolting it so dam hard.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've seen this clutch fail twice with a ~500rwhp NA car. First clutch made 3 passes... second 4....
Old 11-18-2007, 05:19 PM
Launching!

Ugh.

Thats not good to hear
Old 11-18-2007, 05:46 PM
TECH Regular

Ugh.

Thats not good to hear
Wow, I've seen alot of higher hp cars do well with it.
My concern is the 60. I haven't seen anyone go better that 1.47-1.50.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty wierd stuff. Have been following and reading about the tex single and twins for a long time there are tons of threads if you search on this section. Many guys running big power for quite awhile with lots of track runs. I have the twin but have only 2000 miles on mine and currently at maybe 420 engine hp ,my turbos are not on the car yet.
I was hoping for it to handle 850 to 1000rwhp. Now of course don't like hearing this stuff.
Tex also makes a triple of course for even more money.

Only thing I can think of is wondering if you guys with 500 plus are trying to slip the clutch off the line? Pretty sure you have to dump the clutch and have a drivetrain ,rear end that can handle the dump. I do slip mine some but am currently at lower power levels.Also metallic clutches normally grab better after a few runs as they should grab more as they get hotter. I have read of lots of guys running the single with no problems at high way past 500rwhp levels. Only other thing can think is it could be from not using loctite and mabye having the bolts coming out on pressure plate.
Also went thru my last cartech in a few thousand miles with no track use because the adjustable master cartech used was fubar and caused the clutch to drag all the time.
I swear much more crap from clutches and just going with 480le and call it a day.

Tex seemed very good when talking to them. They even sent me some street discs to try in my twin that they were testing out,this was quite a few months ago and I never got around to installing them. I was looking for a bit more streetable disc. The standard twin is a bit harsh but is getting better with break in.

Several guys as said are pushing big power thru them. Stevie turbo has a twin or triple now and does lots of track runs at very high power levels..There are quite a few others. Many guys on vette boards running them. Many in australia running and racing them.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:43 PM
Launching!

I talked to guy that runs textralia. His name is Jarred. He said he will make things right as he is a believer in his clutch. If push comes to shove, he will upgrade it to the tripple disk for me.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Jarred made it all good with mine. I have a 05 GTO, at the time it was SC'd making around 500. I was in the box heating them up and when I pressed the clutch to disengage.........Nothing. As it turned out my clutch welded the friction surface to the flywheel ,pressure plate and intermediate plate...!
Textralia turned it around in a week and all it cost me was shipping there. I guess it was a clearance issue with the slave and the diaphram. IMO there isnt a better clutch for the money. They stand behind there stuff.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:21 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man i used to think they stood behind their stuff but ive burned up 2 TEX clutches in less than 6 months and have just been brushed off...i even offered to buy a new one and still no response so im looking for a better clutch company.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Umm how about some detail here Tha Joker. You burned up two standard twin discs? Any pics ? Doing what ...drag racing..how many runs..What power and combo?
Do you dump the clutch or slip it at launch?

Strange how have been reading about some tex twin guys running lots of drag runs at very high power levels and now a few others with them dying at fairly low power levels. Looks like that 480le might be in my future soon than I was planning on.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:29 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my car is putting out 650 rwhp and i cut 1.5 60's consistently at the track.The street driving is limited as i dont drive it much so less than 2000 miles total.I get probably 40 passes and im not really slipping the clutch but im not dumping it.kinda hard to explain my launch but its a solid and consistent launch.
my first clutch came apart in the bellhousing and just destroyed my bell and the clutch.I contacted peter,he contacted jarred and they overnighted me a clutch.all was great..forward 3 months now my clutch is gone again the disks just wore down and the part that kills me is the chunks out of the pads..

if i can find pics ill throw them up.I love the clutch i just need it to last a little longer for the price.I understand my car is 4000 lbs but does that really make that big of a difference,cause peter didnt seem to think so.I guess im just waiting to see what their gonna do about this one.I offered to buy a new one but no response for weeks.so im just looking for a alternative clutch...i really dont wana go auto
Old 11-24-2007, 12:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tha joker
my car is putting out 650 rwhp and i cut 1.5 60's consistently at the track.The street driving is limited as i dont drive it much so less than 2000 miles total.I get probably 40 passes and im not really slipping the clutch but im not dumping it.kinda hard to explain my launch but its a solid and consistent launch.
my first clutch came apart in the bellhousing and just destroyed my bell and the clutch.I contacted peter,he contacted jarred and they overnighted me a clutch.all was great..forward 3 months now my clutch is gone again the disks just wore down and the part that kills me is the chunks out of the pads..

if i can find pics ill throw them up.I love the clutch i just need it to last a little longer for the price.I understand my car is 4000 lbs but does that really make that big of a difference,cause peter didnt seem to think so.I guess im just waiting to see what their gonna do about this one.I offered to buy a new one but no response for weeks.so im just looking for a alternative clutch...i really dont wana go auto
Have you considered the RPS Street Twin?

It's not on their website yet but you can call and ask about it.
http://www.turboclutch.com/max.html

Right now I'm trying to decide between it or a Exo-Skel.

Any comments on the Exedy Twin?

http://www.carolinaclutch.com/ShowItem/104858.aspx

Last edited by lunarx; 12-26-2007 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Here's the RPS triple disc carbon-carbon I just picked up.
I'll let you know how it works out once I get it in and put hard miles/track time on it.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1866009
Old 11-27-2007, 11:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

If someone has an issue with one of our clutches, the best way to get in touch with us is via a direct email. We're always here to help...

You can reach us anytime via admin@textralia.com.au

-Jarrod
Old 11-30-2007, 12:32 AM
Launching!

Jarred is correct. He is real easy to get in touch with.

I talked to him over the phone as stated, and he talked to me, and the mechanic who put the clutch in.

Jarred, we will be pulling the clutch out within the next couple of weeks. I am awaiting getting the vette back from the body shop as it is getting some dings buffed out.

Dave

Quick Reply: Textra exoskel twin disk and its fried with just 700 lbs of torque wth