TX2K8 - Road Racing, Dyno Day, 60 to 130 and Drag Racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 12:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TX2K8 - Road Racing, Dyno Day, 60 to 130 and Drag Racing

Just like I do every year, I would like to extend an invite to ALL LS1TECH community members!

It's that time of the year for me again...time to plan the TX2K8 event. I would like to invite EVERYONE from this community to come to our event in March in Houston, TX. This event started as a Supra only National Meet but has really turned into a Sports Car Extravaganza! Having said that, let me post the details about each days event:

Thursday March 20, 2008 - Texas World Speedway - Road Racing/Driver's Education

The road racing/driver's education will be on Thursday March 20, 2008. The event is once again going back to Texas World Speedway (Texas World Speedway). Think 150+ mph on the banked oval!!!!!

We will be running the 2.9 mile configuration:

TWS is approximately 80 miles from the host hotel:

From the hotel, get onto Beltway 8 (Sam Houston Tollway) NORTH. Proceed on the tollway for approximately 8 miles, through two tolls and until you get to Highway 290. Take 290 WEST and stay on 290 for approximately 36 miles. Merge onto Highway 6 N towards Bryan/College Station and stay on for approximately 33 miles. TWS will be on your right BEFORE College Station.

Gates Open: 7:00 am

Mandatory Driver's Meeting: 7:45 am

First Cars On Track: 8:00 am

Cost per Car: $240 via cash, check or MO, or paypal $248 to pblach@att.net (NON REFUNDABLE - however if your plans change you can sell your spot to someone else)

Transponder Cost: $50 cash, check or MO, or paypal $52 to pblach@att.net (NON REFUNDABLE - however if your plans change you can sell your timing spot to someone else)

Deadline To Submit Payment: the deadline is January 15, 2008. If we don't have 40 cars signed up by 1/15/08 then we will have to cancel this event. I know we go through this every year, but please, if you are coming please submit your money asap so that we can guarantee the track.

Classes and Format:

Those of you in the beginner class will not have access to a transponder/timing aparatus, those of you interested in having a transponder/timing aparatus will be in the advanced class. Please make sure you include your fee for this if you want to be timed.

Beginner - if you've never run a road course before or if you feel like you need an instructor in your car to teach you the track. It will be up to the instructor to allow you to run alone and to decide if you are qualified enough to do so.

Advanced - if you have run the 2.9 mile TWS configuration before, or if you have 3 previous SCCA or other sanctioned body road course/driver's education events under your belt. This class is also for those that would like a transponder and would like to be part of the time attack event.

Dinner After TWS:

All of us know that after a LONG day at the track, there is NOTHING like having a great sit down dinner. I have worked with Caffe Capri (www.placeforitalian.com) to arrange space for 50+ to have dinner after the TWS event. Cafe Capri is only 10 minutes from TWS and will allow us time to unwind and have a nice sit down dinner after racing. As we leave TWS we will all caravan to the restaurant for a bite to eat. They seem to be very accomodating to our group, have a great reputation with the locals and have fairly priced food. We will leave TWS at 5:30 and caravan to the restaurant.

OK, I think I've covered everything here, please feel free to post any questions and please get your money in ASAP!!!!

PAID ENTRANTS TO DATE

1. YOUSEF ALEMADI - Beginner
2. KEAN **** - Advanced
3. CHRIS JOHNSON - Advanced
4. CODY WHITEHEAD - Advanced (Transponder/Timing 1)
5. KURT CHALOPIZA - Advanced

Friday March 21, 2008 - Dyno Day - Lonestar Motorsports Park

The dyno day will be at Lonestar Motorsports Park (www.terminator427.com). Friday kicks off the first of three days of events at Lonestar and John Hennessey (owner of the track) was gracious enough to offer his grounds to all of the attendees to leave trucks, trailers, etc...overnight. The dyno day schedule will work the same way it's worked over the last three years. First come first serve... I will be at Lonestar at 8:20 am on Friday and will be taking sign ups for the dyno day that morning. Sponsors will get a guaranteed spot but the rest of the spots will be open to anyone. The first car will hit the dyno at 9:00 am and we will dyno cars every 20 minutes until 4:00 pm. All awards will be presented at 4:30 pm.

Cost: dyno cost is FREE, cost to enter gates for the day is $10/person and this goes to Lonestar payable at the gate.

Food: concessions will be open all day

Directions from Hotel:

From the Hotel, get onto Beltway 8 (Sam Houston Tollway) NORTH and travel approximately 3 miles until you get to Interstate 10. Take I-10 WEST (LEFT) and stay on I-10 for approximately 43 miles. Exit 713 Beckendorf Road and follow the signs to Lonestar (once you exit to the right, you will take a left and onto a bridge over I-10, then you will turn right onto the access road on the other side of I-10 and follow to Lonestar).

If you have any questions about the dyno day, please feel free to post them here!
Old 11-18-2007, 12:29 PM
Teching In

Saturday March 22, 2008 - 60 to 130 Competition - Lonestar Motorsports Park

The 60 to 130 competition will be at Lonestar Motorsports Park (www.terminator427.com). John Hennessey (owner of the track) was gracious enough to offer his grounds to all of the attendees to leave trucks, trailers, etc...overnight. The gates will open at 9:00 am and the track will go hot at 10:00 am. From 10:00 am until 12:00 pm we will have practice runs. Starting at 12:00 pm until 4:00 pm will be the official runs that will count towards the competition. I will also be available to download your data and post graphs after the event. All awards will be presented at 4:30 pm.

Cost: spectators will pay $15 to LMP. Tech cards will be $40 in the tech lane. Everyone will pay $15 to enter and those interested in racing in the competition will go to the tech lanes to get a tech card.

60 to 130 Classes:

Street Tire Class - this includes all DOT approved, grooved street tires. R-compound tires are also included in this class.

Drag Radial Tire Class - this includes all drag radials in any size.

UNLIMITED Class - this includes all cars outfitted with slicks (ET Streets, ET Drags, Hoosier Slicks, etc...)

Last Year Winning Times:

Street Tire Class - Nick Diep 6-Speed Supra - 6.6
Drag Radial Class - Bob Helms Auto Supra - 4.8
UNLIMITED Class - Stacy Barnett TT Viper - 4.6

Other Car Times for Comparison:

*Denotes that time has been verified by downloading the data and verifying accuracy (making sure there was no data lost during the run)
*4.15 - Bob Helms Autobanh Supra TH400, 88mm Turbo
4.6 - Stacy Barnett TT Viper 6-speed
*4.72 - Peter Blach Autobanh Supra 6-Speed, 78mm Turbo
5.4 - Kelly Martin SRT-10 Viper at TX2K7
5.9 - GSXR 1000 with bolt-ons at TX2K7
6.1 - Saleen S7 Twin Turbo
6.9 - Mosler MT900S
7.0 - Ferrari Enzo
7.3 - Porsche Carrera GT
*7.56 - Vrybad / C5 Z06TT (APS Turbo, no cats, stock muffler, 573 rwhp @ 9.5 psi)
8.6 - Chevrolet Corvette C6 Z06
8.9 - Mercedes SLR McLaren
9.1 - Porsche 993 RUF Turbo R (100 octane)
9.4 - Lamborghini Diablo VT 6.0
9.5 - Ferrari F430
9.6 - Ferrari F50
10.9 - Lamborghini Murcielago
11.7 - Ferrari Challenge Stradale
12.1 - Lamborghini Gallardo
12.2 - Porsche 996TT

and some comparative times:

4.78 - Markski / RWD / Driftbox / 2 shifts
4.90 - Divexxtreme / RWD / Driftbox / 2 shifts
5.64 - Todd Z / RWD / Driftbox / 2 shifts
5.93 - OhioGT2 / Driftbox / 1 shift
5.9x - VRAlexander / AWD / AX-22 *1.3 BAR run / 2 shifts
6.15 - DMK / RWD / Driftbox / 0 shifts
6.26 - Chinitowest / AWD / Driftbox / 1 shift
6.45 - RenntechV12 / GT2 / Driftbox / 0 shifts
6.70 - Dr Jitsu / GT2 / Driftbox / 1 shift
6.74 - Woodster / AWD / AX-22 / 1 shift
7.25 - Colorinc / AWD / Driftbox / 1 shift
7.73 - Eclou 997TT / AWD / Driftbox / 2 shifts
7.84 - 9Eleven / GT2 / Driftbox / 1 shift
7.93 - KPG / AWD / Driftbox / 1 shift
8.3x - 996TT STEVO / AWD / AX-22
8.76 - Scotty slc / AWD / Driftbox / 1 shift
9.10 - Bill S / 993 Ruf R Turbo 490 HP / AX-22 / 2 shifts
9.56 - Topgun / AWD / Driftbox / 3 shifts
10.06 - Panas001 / AWD / Driftbox / 1 shift
10.96 - Woodster / AWD / AX-22 / 3 shifts

Sunday March 23, 2008 - Drag Racing - Lonestar Motorsports Park

The Drag Racing event will be at Lonestar Motorsports Park (www.terminator427.com). John Hennessey (owner of the track) was gracious enough to offer his grounds to all of the attendees to leave trucks, trailers, etc...overnight. The gates will open at 8:00 am and the track will go hot at 9:00 am. From 9:00 am until 11:00 am we will have practice runs. Starting at 11:00 am qualifying will start and the schedule will be as follows:

11:00 am - qualifying pass 1
12:00 pm - qualifying pass 2
1:15 pm - eliminations round 1
2:30 pm - eliminations round 2
3:15 pm - eliminations round 3
4:30 pm - final round eliminations

There will be a dedicated lane for test-n-tune ALL DAY LONG. Since the drag racing classes are Supra specific, you will be able to run all day as many times as you'd like. You will however be able to participate and race in Class 7 with rules as follows:

Class 7 (6-Speed Challenge)
Cost to enter this class is $100 payable to me at the gate when you get to LMP. The winner will get 75% of the pot and the runner-up will get 25% of the pot (i.e. if there are 8 cars entered, the winner will get $600 and the runner-up will get $200). The only rule is that you must run a 6-speed transmission, no automatics allowed, any car make/model allowed.

Cost: spectators will pay $20 to LMP. Tech cards will be $45 (in addition to the $20 cost to enter).

Hotel Information

1. Holiday Inn Express
2930 W Sam Houston Pkwy South
Houston, TX 77042
713-785-3899
Confirmation: Supra Meet
Wednesday Night: 25 rooms
Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday Night: 50 rooms

2. Best Western
2950 W Sam Houston Pkwy South
Houston, TX 77042
713-782-1515
Confirmation: Supra Meet
Wednesday Night: 20 rooms
Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday Night: 40 rooms
Old 11-18-2007, 01:06 PM
TECH Pimp

Nicely done, I'll probably make it out to this one for old times sake.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:51 PM
9 Second Club

looking forward to it Peter
Old 11-18-2007, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Zac - sounds good man!

Tiago - your car should ROCK this event bro! ULTIMATE Street Car what?

Peter
Old 11-18-2007, 05:24 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Peter,

Will we be allowed to enter and sponsor the 6-speed drag challenge. We have a project just in mind for the race car for this event Let me know so I can start the project now.

Amber
Six Speeds Inc.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:44 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Six Speeds Inc.
Peter,

Will we be allowed to enter and sponsor the 6-speed drag challenge. We have a project just in mind for the race car for this event Let me know so I can start the project now.

Amber
Six Speeds Inc.

uh oh, this sounds interesting
Old 11-18-2007, 06:10 PM
Teching In

Amber, of course, we can do something like last year. Come over to the house sometime or I'll stop by yours and we can discuss. I would have loved to have seen you run the 6-speed challenge last year against the others...
Peter
Old 11-18-2007, 06:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by houston-T

Thursday March 20, 2008 - Texas World Speedway - Road Racing/Driver's Education

We will be running the 2.9 mile configuration:

Transponder Cost: $50 cash, check or MO, or paypal $52 to pblach@att.net (NON REFUNDABLE - however if your plans change you can sell your timing spot to someone else)

Deadline To Submit Payment: the deadline is January 15, 2008. If we don't have 40 cars signed up by 1/15/08 then we will have to cancel this event.

OK, I think I've covered everything here, please feel free to post any questions and please get your money in ASAP!!!!

PAID ENTRANTS TO DATE

1. YOUSEF ALEMADI - Beginner
2. KEAN **** - Advanced
3. CHRIS JOHNSON - Advanced
4. CODY WHITEHEAD - Advanced (Transponder/Timing 1)
5. KURT CHALOPIZA - Advanced

Couple questions ...

TWS 2.9 counter clockwise or clockwise?

Transponder fee ... I already own an AMB transponder. Is the $50 a rental fee or a fee to pay for the timing loop to be armed and manned?

40 cars? What's the car limit? Did this event make the car count last year?

You discuss beginner and advanced ... 2 run groups at 30 minutes each? Need an instructor? Is an instructor position a comped position?

I have a well experienced resume ...
The Driver's Edge at MSR-C and TWS - Rick Schwallenberg
Apex Driving Academy at MSR-C - Daron Cooke
Texas Driving Experience at Texas Motor Speedway - Don Barnes
Motorsports Club at TWS - Misty Cain

The group I race with is running a 6 hour enduro there in April and I'd like to get some test data.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:12 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Always a fun event. I might have the Paxton on the Viper coupe by then, that roadcourse sure would be fun.

Tony
Old 11-18-2007, 10:00 PM
Teching In

GOOD QUESTIONS, SEE MY RESPONSES BELOW.

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Couple questions ...

TWS 2.9 counter clockwise or clockwise? WE WILL RUN THE COUNTER CLOCKWISE CONFIGURATION.

Transponder fee ... I already own an AMB transponder. Is the $50 a rental fee or a fee to pay for the timing loop to be armed and manned? AT THIS POINT IN TIME, I'M NOT 100% SURE WHAT EQUIPMENT WE WILL BE USING TO MEASURE THE TIMING. IF WE USE EQUIPMENT THAT IS COMPATIBLE WITH YOUR TRANSPONDER THEN YOU CAN BRING YOUR AMB AND WE'RE GOOD TO GO. WHILE THE $50 GOES TO COVER OVERHEAD, I WOULD NOT FEEL RIGHT CHARGING YOU IF YOU HAVE YOUR OWN TRANSPONDER THAT WORKS WITH THE SYSTEM WE'LL HAVE OUT THERE.

40 cars? What's the car limit? Did this event make the car count last year? THE LIMIT IS 55 CARS. WE HAVE MADE THE MINIMUM CAR COUNT SINCE THE YEAR 2000 (8 YEARS IN A ROW). IF YOU SIGN UP AND PAY AND WE MISS THE MINIMUM, YOU WILL BE REFUNDED IN FULL. I'M SURE THERE ARE SEVERAL ON THIS BOARD THAT CAN VOUCH FOR MY CREDIBILITY AND THE EVENT ITSELF. TONY (NINEBALL) BEING ONE OF THEM.

You discuss beginner and advanced ... 2 run groups at 30 minutes each? Need an instructor? Is an instructor position a comped position? THERE WILL ACTUALLY BE 3 RUN GROUPS. BEGINNER (WITH INSTRUCTORS IN THE CAR), ADVANCED (NO INSTRUCTORS) AND INSTRUCTOR. EACH GROUP WILL GET 4 30-MINUTE SESSIONS ON TRACK.

BASED ON THE INFORMATION YOU LISTED ABOVE, YOU BE 100% GOOD TO GO IN ADVANCED. I HOPE TO SEE YOU OUT THERE AND IF YOU'RE INTERESTED, PLEASE GET YOUR MONEY IN ASAP SO I CAN GET TO MY MINIMUM QUICKER. THANKS!

The group I race with is running a 6 hour enduro there in April and I'd like to get some test data.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

im happy you guys are coming up to TWS, not even 5 min from me, cant wait.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by houston-T

BASED ON THE INFORMATION YOU LISTED ABOVE, YOU BE 100% GOOD TO GO IN ADVANCED. I HOPE TO SEE YOU OUT THERE AND IF YOU'RE INTERESTED, PLEASE GET YOUR MONEY IN ASAP SO I CAN GET TO MY MINIMUM QUICKER. THANKS!
I meant to say I have instructed with all those groups, not just run.

TDE @ TMS is driving/instructing THEIR Z06s on the oval and roval.

Let's see how car prep goes through December.

One final question ...

We are attempting to field a 3 or 4 car team for the above mentioned endurance race in April. If I bring multiple cars to shake down, but I am the only driver, is it 1 entry fee?
Old 11-19-2007, 10:09 AM
Teching In

Mitch, I will work with you on that, drop me a PM with your phone number when you are 100% ready to make the event.
Peter
Old 11-28-2007, 09:33 AM
Teching In

As a gentle reminder, we have a 60 to 130 event at Lonstar on 12/8. Perfect time to practice for TX2K8!
Peter