Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning results from Rapid motorsports within

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 08:45 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Default Tuning results from Rapid motorsports within

Well, I just got back from Rapid, about 8 hours round trip but well worth it. Mike made a few pulls with my LS6 injectors but they just weren't cutting it, It was just too lean. He tried putting more fuel to them but they just couldn't flow enough. So I bought a set of SVO 30lb injectors on locations and put them in. Mike tuned it a second time and make a few pulls.

392 rwhp 376 rwtq

Not too bad, Mike says the dyno is pretty conservative. I know a few of you can attest to that. I don't have a scanner so I can't post the graph but the torque curve is fairly flat, no spikes in the torque or Hp curves.

He are my mods;

99 TA M6 stock rear with 3.42
TEA S2 5.3 heads
TR 224 112lsa cam
Comp R lifters
ASP underdrive crank pulley
LS6 intake
NGK TR6s
thundervolt wires
Lid, K&N
MAC headers, MAC Y w/Mac cats
Borla cat back

I'll be adding a ported Oil pump and a timing chain soon, so I'll fix my damn Oil pump O-ring at that time.

Opinions???

Matt
Old 06-20-2003, 11:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Re: Tuning results from Rapid motorsports within

Honestly I think it shoudl be making a little more power than that, we had cam only cars with that cam make 399. Id say lose those cats would be your first step. Why would your stock injectors not handling the fuel needs, your car is only making 400 rwhp and the z06 are even bigger than the stockers correct? or were they just dirty? Do you have the z06s to sell?
Old 06-21-2003, 12:51 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those injectors should have been plenty big enough to handle 392 rwhp. When I had my S2 heads and TR224 cam I was still running my stock 2002 injectors (26lbs)and I was far from running out of injector.But every setup is different i guess.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:33 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I thought those injectors would be fine also. I bought them from a member of this board (burnout) he said he had them flowed and they indeed checked out to be 28 lb/hr at our fuel pressure. I thought I would make more power too, but there were two other guys there that day with a4's. One guy made 391 rwhp with GTP heads and the TR 224. Another guy made around 380rwhp with a bigger cam (don't know the specs) and CNC heads. The other 2 cars both had long tubes and larger exhausts than mine. I think that dyno reads low, check out this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/threads/showflat...rue#Post542225

one guy dynoed around 384 and another guy right at 392 on that dyno.

I'm still confused about the injector problem too, but the 30s are on the car now, so i'll just keep them. Mike said they it was lean no matter what he did. Funny thing is, the 2 guys that got tuning after me with H/C setups had '98 injectors and Mike said their cars had the same problem as mine. I just don't get it.

Granny-I have no need for the LS6 injectors anymore so I could sell them to you if you would like. Are you from f-bodycentral by chance? If so, I emailed you guys about dyno tuning first but never got a response so I had to go elsewhere. Email me if you are interested mvello@vt.edu I will be out of town for the next week so I won't be able to check my mail.

Matt
Old 06-21-2003, 12:32 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you sure there wasn't a problem with the wideband O2 sensor? Its kind of weird that you all had the same problem with not enough injector and you all were right around 400hp. I would have used autotap to check the injector pulse width to see if it was maxing out and at what rpm.

I may be way off, but honestly, if three different cars all experienced 'not enough injector' on the same dyno, I'd be real skeptical about that O2 sensor. Check out Pheonix performance in Pheonixville PA. They only charge $75 for three wideband pulls. Might be reasurance and much cheaper than buying more injector when you don't need it.

Old 06-21-2003, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea, get rid of the cats, and get a cutout too..and a smooth bellow probably wouldn't hurt.