fi street methanol

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 12:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile fi street methanol

dear fi members as the title says-

i have search the topic only yo find meth spray talk-nothing else-

could i get some advice on wether it can be done -if u reckon its a waste of time please tell me has i take in good points and i do not dwell on them has long as their is a reason-

here we go-

i am told in oz methanol is $1.05 a litre compared to $1.50-1.65 a litre for 98 with is usa 93 octane-

i am in the process of building a lsx based fi engine-
i have been told-(tell me if i am correct) it will run cooler-it will elimante the intercooler and has i pointed it above cheaper to run-

+meth needs 2-3 of pump's supply
+twice the injector size etc if it were a 42 pounder i would need a 80+ injector?
+and instead of getting 600 kays/miles out of 98 octance-i would get half?

so my ? is can it be run with a hassle free and maintance point of view-

also what is the octane reading in methanol-

can it be made to pass emmisions testing-

if its to hard please tell me has i want to know why and why it cant or can be done-

also does it have a affect on engine part's=rings,pistions,valves,heads etc etc-

i am thinking between 383-427 cubes with a pt101 on it-

i am trying to get the best out of both worlds-the epa in oz here said if i passed the co2 testing they would grant me the slip for the road-

can it be done?

Thank's in advance-
+
Old 11-20-2007, 01:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

speak to street tuna on here. i think he is running a drag holden, with his Gen-ttr twin turbo kit, on methanol only.

cheers Chris.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:15 AM
TECH Resident

Cool

Originally Posted by chuntington101
speak to street tuna on here. i think he is running a drag holden, with his Gen-ttr twin turbo kit, on methanol only.

cheers Chris.
i dont know him-but have seen the car-

did not know it was on meth-but it is a drag car-

i wanted to past emisions and still drive it to the track-with the boost jacked down-

also want it on the road legally-

Thanks chris-
Old 11-20-2007, 04:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would it create a problem with contaminating the oil and requiring more frequent oil changes?
Old 11-20-2007, 07:00 AM
TECH Resident

Question

Originally Posted by BIG BAD BLACKSS
Would it create a problem with contaminating the oil and requiring more frequent oil changes?
never thought of that-can this or has this been knowed to happen?
Old 11-20-2007, 07:13 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think most people on here are using it as a separate kit that sprays into the intake tract similar to a nitrous kit. I don't know anyone actually mixing it with the gasoline... sorry
Old 11-20-2007, 07:42 AM
TECH Resident

Question

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
I think most people on here are using it as a separate kit that sprays into the intake tract similar to a nitrous kit. I don't know anyone actually mixing it with the gasoline... sorry
I am talking about running straight meth and pass all the enviroment testing-

i also want to know the maintence side of things-

my main reasons why i want to do this is to eliminate the intercooler,engine would run cooler,and also its cheaper to run in the long run-

but i am not a meth expert-thats why i asking for a lot of advice-
Old 11-20-2007, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Methanol is pretty tough on the fuel system for a daily driven street car.
Ethanol, or E85 is much less corrosive and has been proven to work well in street cars.
I've used methanol in a drag motorcycle before, and it is hard on everything.
Oil contamination will also be a problem for sure for a daily driver.
I would advise checking the availability of E85 and ethanol in your area to see if it is
worthwhile to make the switch.
If there are very few stations that carry it, it would be impossible to actually drive the car very far with 6mpg fuel economy.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

won't be any cheaper to run as you will use twice as much !
Old 11-20-2007, 11:54 PM
TECH Resident

Cool

Originally Posted by Johnv
won't be any cheaper to run as you will use twice as much !
thats a good vaild point-i did not intend of driving it much-

why run it u say?

its to pass emmision's if i can-make it a honest street/drag car which drives to the track and also have a good fuel octane wether the conditions were hot or cold.

also meth would bring down intake temps? if so hp would rise-how much i dont know-but i want to make hp wherever and however-it all counts in my view-

in oz the car mod law is 2-3 mod's per car-so if i was to put on a cooler+aftermarket ecu+external gate that would mean no more mods are allowed- -so what about the boost controller--as they class that has a mod-

for some weird reason they dont care about fuel rails-injetor size-fuel pumps and tanks as long has it's safe and has a engineers report along with a safety report-

no limits on trans or diff or suspension,wheels,brakes,roll cage,as long has its checked and past by a engineer

i want to make serious hp and even though 98 is very good-it wont be good enough for me to risk a serious engine on it-

i also dont want to pay $7.00-12.50 aus a litre for race fuel-

so buy putting the meth on i wont have to worry about the cooler-so thats 1 more mod i can do-
no piping running everywhere-
it will allowed me to run 1.aftermarket ecu 2.external gate has long as its plumbed back into the exhaust for noise 3.boost controler-

also need to run a cat and emmisions box-which is standard has the car came with it from factory but i am allowed to run a performance cat and any emmsions box i can-

some one was saying to me last night that the c.o 2 levels can not be detected-but i was wandering how we smell the stuff clearly-

also meth has its advantages as we all know-

meth----1.05x 100 litres =$105.00 aus dollars-50-60 kays
98 octance1.65x100 litres=$165.00 75-120 kays
sun 116-117 12.50X20 litres of sunco $250.00 75-120 kays????
sun 116-117 12.50x100 litres of sunco1250.00 = lot of kays but who would drive it to the track with a cost of even half that-

to break it down-i just want to build a street car with a lot of performance with low fuel but high octane and drive it to the track up and back about 60 kays from where i live- with getting hassled by the police-

also its a challenge- to me i reckon its worth it-with the allowed mods

if i pass the test i can run in a street class also-as long as the have the paper stating i have passed the test-
by all mean guys dont think i want to drive it to work everyday just to and from the track once a week while putting on 60-100 kays on it-

what do u guys think?

also since i am new-u guys keep telling me about meth and oil mixing together-can some explain that to me more-

i have heard stories-just stories with no physical proof that meth is hard on rings-is that true or just lie's-

wether it can be done or not i am all ears-

Thanks in advance-

Last edited by njc.corp; 11-21-2007 at 12:17 AM.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:20 AM
TECH Addict

can you get E85??? this has proven to give much better power output over normal pump fule plus you can run a little more boost!

Chris.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

what is e85-is that ethanol-?
Old 11-21-2007, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

E85 is a mix of 85% Ethanol and 15% gasoline.
The combustion of Methanol releases acids which turns your oil into a mess real quick.
I would try to find some sources for an ethanol based fuel, as I can't think of anyone who has had experience with Methanol that would want to deal with the headaches on a street driven car.
Unless you are planning on well over 1,200HP, I would not even consider it.
You time could be better spent pursuing something else with the car.
Just my $.02
Old 11-21-2007, 04:49 PM
TECH Resident

Cool

Originally Posted by camarols1
E85 is a mix of 85% Ethanol and 15% gasoline.
The combustion of Methanol releases acids which turns your oil into a mess real quick.
I would try to find some sources for an ethanol based fuel, as I can't think of anyone who has had experience with Methanol that would want to deal with the headaches on a street driven car.
Unless you are planning on well over 1,200HP, I would not even consider it.
You time could be better spent pursuing something else with the car.
Just my $.02
383-427 with a pt101- i am aiming with 1400 hp+with all systems go-

so are u trying to say for a street car this meth is not going to work because the oil will get dirty quick-

how does that work-is their a time frame on the oil going to ****-

so this is my main problem-the oil-???
Old 11-21-2007, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

383-427 with a pt101- i am aiming with 1400 hp+with all systems go-
That combination, along with 100% methanol as a fuel seems like a race car to me...not much of a street car at all.
I also have been told by several people that its not good to run 100% methanol in a street car because of how poisonous the fumes are.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:23 AM
TECH Addict

also worth noting that if you can get E85, im not sure if its avaliable to you guys, that a covette has put down 1200wbhp at very low RPM using a F2 with no intercooler! so E85 can get you there!

thanks Chris.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:07 AM
Teching In

Uh has any one forgotten that he will need to run totaly different fuel lines to run straight meth? Methanol will eat your rubber lines out. Add to this the impracticallity of handling and holding pure methanol wich has a octane of around 110 or so US, and a evaporative rate phenominally higher than gasoline and closer to that of acetone. The best solution I have found for a boosted motor is Water methanol injection man. It has allowed me to run big boost in my mazda 18 psi, on stock or higher timming advance make more power, and better coolant system reliability becouse i don't have a fmic blocking the flow. A basic kit can be had for as little as 180 $ or more depending on how fancy you want to get. One thing is certian using though using WI to lower your AIT's and the methanol percentage to bump the octane rating will be very effective esp on a street car. And a whole lot more practicall than using pure methanol.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:53 PM
FormerVendor

The fact that combusting Methanol forms Aldehydes that quite literally kill human beings with enough ingestion - after causing blindness and liver failure - is probably enough for a Methanol powered car never to pass an Australian roadworthy emissions test (very similar to CARB)
Old 11-23-2007, 07:22 PM
Teching In

We don't have any E85 down here unfortunately... not that I have ever seen anyway.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

Wink

Originally Posted by Street Tuna
The fact that combusting Methanol forms Aldehydes that quite literally kill human beings with enough ingestion - after causing blindness and liver failure - is probably enough for a Methanol powered car never to pass an Australian roadworthy emissions test (very similar to CARB)
The epa did say otherwise-but he said the reason it has never been tried is because of the cost of testing-