Sponsored by:

Question regarding 02 Z-28!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 06:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question regarding 02 Z-28!

OK Quick question for you guys.

Just the other night I was hangin out at my girlfriends and I hear my alarm go off. Turns out, a 16 year old kid ran into my car who had had his license for 2 months. He cracked my taillight (which is still works) and I got some scratches on my bumper (which is getting fixed next week)

Now my question is this-- The insurance quoting place quoted me $907 for a cracked taillight and a scratched up bumper.

My question is this-- If i have a cracked headlight and taillight, but they BOTH still work and function 100%, do I need to replace the entire taillight or headlamp, or can I just buy the covers and its as good as new?

Let me know ASAP thanks guys!
Old 11-20-2007, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

You might be able to replace the tail lights yourself. If you have ever changed the bulbs its not that hard. The assembly is held on by a few bolts on the back inside the trunk and it comes right off.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JScamaro
You might be able to replace the tail lights yourself. If you have ever changed the bulbs its not that hard. The assembly is held on by a few bolts on the back inside the trunk and it comes right off.
You can't just replace the lenses on the tail lights, I'm pretty sure the housing is all one piece. You'll need a whole new assembly. Do what he said and do it yourself, not hard to do. Then you can pocket the extra.

Have a second quote done though for the bumper scratches, a second opinion is always good.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:12 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,070 Posts

As stated above, the tail lamp assembly is all one piece. There is no separate lens to replace.

It's very easy to remove the tail lights on these cars. If you can handle changing the battery, you can change the tail light.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:06 PM
Teching In

OK thanks a lot for the help guys!

One last thing-- What about a headlight? I have a crack on my headlight as well, do i have to replace the entire thing or do I just need a new cover?
Old 11-20-2007, 08:35 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS135th
OK Quick question for you guys.

Just the other night I was hangin out at my girlfriends and I hear my alarm go off. Turns out, a 16 year old kid ran into my car who had had his license for 2 months. He cracked my taillight (which is still works) and I got some scratches on my bumper (which is getting fixed next week)

Now my question is this-- The insurance quoting place quoted me $907 for a cracked taillight and a scratched up bumper.

My question is this-- If i have a cracked headlight and taillight, but they BOTH still work and function 100%, do I need to replace the entire taillight or headlamp, or can I just buy the covers and its as good as new?

Let me know ASAP thanks guys!

Buy the parts and install them yourself!! Then spend the rest of the money on mods!!
Old 11-20-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

One last thing-- What about a headlight? I have a crack on my headlight as well, do i have to replace the entire thing or do I just need a new cover?
Headlight you can take the lenses off (such as when doing the whistler mod) but odds of finding just a lens are very very slim. Just get a new headlight. Maybe use this to buy some projectors and HID kit if that tickles your fancy.

I'd sell you my headlights and upgrade mine if I had the money to do so
Old 11-21-2007, 05:04 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,070 Posts

As stated above, the lens can be removed on the stock headlights, but I don't know of anywhere that will sell you just a lens (GM certainly won't, it comes as a full assembly, and it's not cheap!).

If you want to save some cash on that, keep an eye out in the classifieds section for someone parting out a '98+ Camaro with headlights still intact.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:27 AM
TECH Addict

His insurance is paying for it so just get replacement parts and put them on yourself and pocket the money for more mods.