Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need help detailing my car...what procedures and products?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 09:09 AM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need help detailing my car...what procedures and products?

I just finished washing my car and its getting disappointing the way it comes out because there are so many little flaws in it. (nothing major, Im just picky) For once, I would like to finish washing my car and say, "man...it looks damn good," and actually feel good about cleanig it. I was wondering what would be the best way to clean (not wash) and get all the little flaws out? I plan to spend lots of time on it when it cools down later today. What products, tools, and such should I use. I know that lots of you are going to say, use Zaino, but I will wait to use that next time because I dont have any at the moment. (actually, Ive never used it, but I plan to) Here are the list of things that I would like to get rid of or hide as best as possible: scratches, swirls, road grime, bugs, all the little bumps on the top of my rear bumper (does anyone else have that problem? It seems thats the first thing that gets dirty and everytime that I wash that part, I feel lots of little bumps.), and lastly, the crap thats behind the rear tires on the lower fender. Im not sure what it is, but there is something there thats not suppose to be. Thanks
Old 06-20-2003, 03:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need help detailing my car...what procedures and products?

the rear bumper is a bad place for the fbody. I think someone once said it was a design flaw. You can never keep it clean. I wipe it down almost everytime i take the car out. As for the crap behind tires. I think that is just something that comes with a v8 for the scratches i used a paste kinda thing i picked up at pepboys. I havent used it on my camaro but worked wonders on my mom's corolla.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:34 PM
Teching In

It depends what color it is. Mines black and black shows everything. I found that the best wash is Rain Dance I think its called Rain X. Its blue. For wax I use meguiar's products. They have a three step wax that you should look at. 1. cleaner wax.
2. deep crystal polish. 3. carnuba wax (sealant)
Meguiar's Tire Shine aerosol can last's the longest and deep shine.
Old 06-23-2003, 11:44 AM
9 Second Club NA

My car is black and I wish that I would of got a silver or pewter car now. Anyhow, I use McGuires liquid wax (the plastic container that comes in the box), but Im not worried about waxes right now, Im worried about getting all the scratches, road grime, bugs, oxidation, and any other kind of filth that it has that washing wont remove. When I do so, I then want to give it a deep shine and be able to tell that something was performed on the exterior of the paint. Thanks
Old 06-23-2003, 11:50 AM
TECH Addict

I have used scratch and swirl mark remover by Mcguires and they work great on my black truck. I havn't used it on my SS though, hehe. I do use a claybar on my car however, and that gets rid of all the bugs, grim etc...
Old 06-23-2003, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

Step 1: Wash with Dawn dish wash soap
Step 2: Claybar the entire car
Step 3: Get an orbital buffer (preferably a Porter Cable brand)
Step 4: Apply some 3M fine cut rubbing compound and/or swirl mark remover with buffer
Step 5: Buff residue off by hand with a 100% cotton Made in the USA towel/cloth
Step 6: Wash with Dawn dish wash soap
Step 7: Apply your favorite polish/wax product as per its instructions (I use the Zaino line of products on my car)
Step 8: Enjoy!
Old 06-23-2003, 04:03 PM
9 Second Club NA

Does the buffer have to be a high speed one? Ive got a MVP I think from Wal-Mart, will that one work? What kind of pad/cover do I use to apply the 3M? What brand/type of claybar do I use and where can I get some? I dont have any Zaino at the moment, what would be the next best thing? Thanks
Old 06-23-2003, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

If you want best results go with a good quality buffer. I believe mine can reach speeds of up to 6k RPMs but I typically buff my finish at 2500. As long as the pad is 100% cotton you should be okay. Meguiars makes decent wax/polish products if you can't get your hands on any Zaino.
Old 06-24-2003, 12:41 AM
9 Second Club NA

So I would apply the 3M fine cut with a 100% cotton pad and then take it off with a 100% towel? I thought that they made specific pads for application? If so, do I stay away from those and just apply with a 100% cotton towel? By doing it with that, will it scratch it or leave swirls? Thanks
Old 06-24-2003, 08:10 AM
On The Tree

Like I said, you want to apply the stuff with a buffer. This means have a round cotton pad on the buffer and apply some of the 3M product to the pad and buff it into your finish. I would not suggest doing it in a circular motion as the buffer spins for you. Just gently go up and down your finish and once the product has taken on an oil consistency, it's ready to use a cotton towel to remove the excess film. Do this as much as you want until you are satisfied with the results but remember that the 3M product is a mild abrasive and can remove a tiny amount of clear coat when being used but it will remove most scratches and swirl marks. A 100% cotton Made in the USA towel/cloth will not scratch or leave swirl marks on your finish.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

With a black car, and you have never used a buffer, I'd recommend staying away from that combo until you get some pratice with a buffer.

A buffer, is a high speed disc that can spin at a very high speed and cause a ton of damage to paint in the wrong hands. There are only two kinds of pads for a buffer, wool and sponge, and they either bolt on or stick on via very strong velcro. If you go the buffer route pratice first on a old car that you don't care about the finish.

An orbital waxer is what most people have and for some reason call a buffer. It has either a 11" or 9" pad that one sretches over "bonnets". You have choices of wool, sponge, cotton, and even a funky thin wax applicator that is typically blue. The head of the orbital spins rather slow and rotates around a differnt axis so it vibrates a little.

So my advice, use a waxer first. Get yourself several nice cotton bonnets and a sponge bonnet, usually found at Pep Boys. Take it nice and slow do not use a ton of pressure and use the sponge bottet with the 3M swirl mark remover, then remove it with the waxer and a cotton bonnet.

But clay the car first. Clay Magic and Mothers both make a nice over the counter clay kit. Take your time, work slowly and follow the instructions. work in straight lines - try not to ever go in circles. A black car will look like hell after clay but the labors will be worth it.

Then swirl mark remover.

Then wax. If you use anything but Zaino, I'd still say use the waxer to apply and remove. Use the nice cotton bonnets.

My Red SS looks fantastic and I use Meguires Gold Class. Works great and easily had. Many people swear that I repainted my SS, but with a labor of love you can get virtually any paint job to look great.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

I am by no means a professional with my buffer but they are very easy and safe to use. It is not a waxer but an orbital buffer/polisher and I would not recommend using this to apply any wax/polish to your finish. Do that by hand. Only use your buffer/polisher to apply the 3M compound or swirl mark remover. The swirl mark remover will be best for a dark colored car.

Click here to see and read up on the polisher I use.

Quick Reply: Need help detailing my car...what procedures and products?