anyone had rotator cuff surgery?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 09:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone had rotator cuff surgery?

I'm having mine done Friday, the only thing I'm slightly worried about is the nerve block in my neck. Has anyone ever had this done, and what does that part consist of? I'm terrified of needles, always have been....any horror stories about recoveries?
Old 11-20-2007, 09:19 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't had that particular surgery, but my uncle is an Anesthesiologist. He does nerve blocks etc. It is pretty routine and not a big deal. My mom cannot have general anesthesia so she always has them. Prob 5 surgeries now without one problem.

I am not a needle person either. I did not even feel the needles when I had my hernia repair operation. The people doing surgery are not just some rookie nurse. You prob won't even feel it. My surgery was the only time needles didn't give me a prob.

I hope it all goes well for ya man.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:50 PM
Teching In

expect your arm to be in a cast for a loooong time and learn to wipe with the other hand unless theres a hot nurse around

but seriously i work in a hospital its routine for them to do but youre gonna be immobile for awhile
Old 11-20-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

sent you a PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:11 PM
TECH Resident

its a very simple procedure. u will be fine. regional anesthesia is not a big deal at all. im an emt and lvn and im an expert at iv's etc god i love it!!
Old 11-20-2007, 10:40 PM
TECH Pimp

Originally Posted by PaiN
sent you a PM.
Oh snap!!
Old 11-21-2007, 08:24 AM
TECH Regular

The big thing is don't rush the recovery or you will be back in the same boat;I saw plenty of people going thru the same procedure when my wife was getting rehab on her knee because they rushed the recovery ! That's all there was at Christus St.John's;knee surgery or rotator cuff surgery.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:01 AM
TECH Junkie

ehh dont be scared of the lil needle.... the other day i saw a dr take some CSF now that **** looked crazy!! he took about a 10" needle and stuck in the guys spinal cord area... then took out some CSF.....

edit: CSF = cerebral spinal fluid.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK #07
ehh dont be scared of the lil needle.... the other day i saw a dr take some CSF now that **** looked crazy!! he took about a 10" needle and stuck in the guys spinal cord area... then took out some CSF.....

im pretty sure i would at that one. i hate needles

my dad had this done. did a fair amount of rehab but he's all good now
Old 11-21-2007, 12:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK #07

yea thats pretty bad. we took over 1000cc's of plueral fluid out of this guys left pleural cavity a while ago. poor fella. pretty big needle haha
Old 11-21-2007, 01:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 2002t/a06
yea thats pretty bad. we took over 1000cc's of plueral fluid out of this guys left pleural cavity a while ago. poor fella. pretty big needle haha
yeah... i also got to see some ascites draining... like a leaky faucet.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:41 PM
Banned

the doctor shot some Lanacin (sp?) into my joint yesterday morning to numb it up so he could do some tests, jabbed me with that big *** 3" needle like he was drying to ram it through the back, I told the doc... "if i pass out i'm sorry..." hopefully they can either sedate me heavily, or knock me flat out before the neck thing, not looking forward to the needles...the rest is no biggie.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

u sure he didnt say lidocaine or xylocaine? before the neck thing he should at least give u some versed(midazolam injection) and some fentanyl and u will be sedated heavily and not remember much at all.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:47 PM
Banned

might have been lidocaine...i was a little wound up due to the needle...like i said, i REALLY dislike them...pretty much blank out when they're involved.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Resident

thats sucks man. just tell them u want conscious sedation before they start any procedure on u.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:06 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What were the symptoms that took you to see the Dr. about your shoulder in the first place?

Was there a defining event that took place and afterwards there was not much doubt you screwed up the joint?

I have tweaked something in my lt shoulder and it is not getting better... strange nerve sensations down my arm and my side depending on where my posture and shoulder are at. Along with a well defined, pointed spot of low grade chronic pain in the middle of my shoulder.

Trying to wait until December sometime... slow times... and then deal with it. Been self medicating with left over Hydrocodone every few days and Ibuprofen here and there.

Sorry to highjack... just curious more than anything.

g
Old 11-22-2007, 12:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
What were the symptoms that took you to see the Dr. about your shoulder in the first place?

Was there a defining event that took place and afterwards there was not much doubt you screwed up the joint?

I have tweaked something in my lt shoulder and it is not getting better... strange nerve sensations down my arm and my side depending on where my posture and shoulder are at. Along with a well defined, pointed spot of low grade chronic pain in the middle of my shoulder.

Trying to wait until December sometime... slow times... and then deal with it. Been self medicating with left over Hydrocodone every few days and Ibuprofen here and there.

Sorry to highjack... just curious more than anything.

g

did anything happen before the onset of the symptoms? any numbness or tingling in your hand? does the pain radiate consistantly down ur arm? has any range of motion decreased in ur shoulder? haha i cant believe im asking these questions!
Old 11-22-2007, 06:45 AM
TECH Pimp

Calling Doctor Pain.. lol again...
Old 11-22-2007, 09:08 AM
Banned

well, I played football for years and I'm sure that had something to do with it. But about 6 months ago when moving some dies at work I had some pinching feeling and after that it was a 8 of 10 on the pain scale every day. Lifting the arm above the parallel point is almost unbearable.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

no cast they will strap the arm to your body using a sling you will be fine just do the rehab exactly the way they set it up!! and do the rehab dont put it off,or you will not have full mobility of the arm take your time and dont rush the healing process!!

Quick Reply: anyone had rotator cuff surgery?