Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Is my boost gauge working?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my boost gauge working?

Ok I am brand new to the FI scene as my car just received a major " reconstruction" I now have a forged 396 with a D1SC. Sorry for the stupid question but I am in the process of breaking the new motor in and I'm keeping the RPM to no more than 4000-4500? With my boost gauge installed when will I see the needle rise indicating my boost level. Am I still too low in the band to see anything? Do I have to be all the way in it for there to be boost? Again sorry for the retarded question.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:11 AM
NKAWTG...N

Since your supercharged the boost guage should always be at zero or above. Not sure if you bought a turbo one with negative numbers on it. Depending on alot of factors, you should definitly see boost when you step on it, probably at 2k if you do violent exceleration. The needle will jump to whatever boost setting you have pretty quickly if your on low boost.

So no, you can be at partial throttle. I just suggest rather violent excelleration tests to put more load on the engine so the bypass valve closes, then let off before 4k.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:17 PM
Teching In

Normal driving, with light to medium acceleration you'll still have vacuum on the manifold. Depending on my driving style at any given moment I can hit 4 grand with no boost.

Throttle position is the key to boost with the procharger. The system is designed to bleed pressure off under light throttle conditions. Once you get it broken in press the pedal down and you'll see the boost climb. If not you need to make sure the bypass valve is working properly, it will bleed alot of boost off if it sticks. I had to "tweak" the linkage on mine a little to keep it from sticking.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 for vacuum. Off idle to where it starts making positive boost, it'll show vacuum in inches hg. Boost is a good thing!

Quick Reply: Is my boost gauge working?