Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Taking out a sub

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 12:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking out a sub

When I got my car, it came with a Bazooka sub (one of the tubes) and a CD changer and amp. I'm looking to do away with the sub and CD changer, and possibly the amp. I have a Kenwood head unit for my iPod, and I don't need a ton of base or anything special. Can I just snip the wires and yank the stuff out? Will the stock speakers still work?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 11-22-2007, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are the bazookas self powered? Is the amp wired to just the sub, or more?
Old 11-22-2007, 12:41 PM
Teching In

I honestly have no idea. The system was in the car when I got it, or else I wouldn't have done it that way. I want to say the amp is powering the sub, but I'm not positive. If the sub is powered by the amp, I can just cut the wire between the amp and sub, right? I have no problem keeping the amp (especially if they power the speakers), but I really want teh sub out of the way. And I apologize for the newbie questions. I'm more of a mechanical guy then audio.

Chris
Old 11-22-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's quite all right, no one knows everything, i'm far from an audio pro myself.

I checked bazookas website and it seems they offer both powered and un powered subs.

So it may or may not have a link to the amp, can you get a # off the amp then you can check how many channels and see if it's powering other things.

I'm sure someone has an another way of doing this too.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are there ***** on the back of the bass tube and a bunch of wires
or
no ***** and just one pair of speaker wires

the ***** mean its self amplified and the other amp powers the speakers

if no ***** then that other amp powers it and it all can come out

remeber there is a fuse somewhere as there will be hot wires make sure to remove the underhood fuse
Old 11-24-2007, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 161 Likes on 140 Posts

What about just unplugging the wiring harness from the Bazooka tube itself? If I remember right, a big wiring harness plugs right into the tube and you should be able to just unplug it and see if the rest of your system is still okay. If it is, then remove the unwanted tube and decide what you want to do with the remaining wiring.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
remeber there is a fuse somewhere as there will be hot wires make sure to remove the underhood fuse
Agreed. If you cut the wires at least get some black tape and tape them off so they don't have hot, exposed wires laying around.