Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mid length headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2003, 09:31 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mid length headers

Are mid length headers worth installing. Are they any easer thanlong tubes to install or a waste of time?
Old 06-21-2003, 09:54 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Default Re: mid length headers

Sure they're worth it! Mine went in extremely easy, much easier than the LTs that I've helped friends to install in their LS1s. The whole deal only took me 4 hours to install.

Best part about mids? No banging or scraping.

I don't feel that I'm giving up much power with them over LTs on my setup. If I had some wild mods like FI or big cubes then LTs would probably be the way to go though.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:50 AM
Launching!

TTT does anyone have any dyno numbers for shorty headers? What kind of hp would they be worth?
Old 06-23-2003, 11:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

I wish I could help you out with dyno numbers but I've read many cases where LT's didn't gain much if anything, peak-wise, over the Mac mid-lengths on a bolt-on motor. What LT's will give is more mid-range and low-end so peak may be the same but there should be more area under the curve.

Shorties on the other hand aren't worth anything. The factory manifolds flow pretty well and swapping to shorty headers will net no additional power.

I have Macs and I have no complaints. Fairly easy to install, definate power increase and they don't bang or scrape the ground. Best of all, I picked them up fairly cheap used.
Old 06-23-2003, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have Mac's with no cats. I dynoed the numbers below with them without real tuning just lean it out a little. If I could do it again I would of got LT and still might. Just to get the most out of a h/c nitrous ls1.
Shorties are a waste of money. I would maybe get Hooker LT's cause they have them for a good price and good performace gains. But if your just planing to do bolt ons and maybe a cam Macs will do "almost" just as good as any LT.