Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What do I need to make this work...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do I need to make this work...

im looking at this head unit:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-...oductDetail.do
will i be able to control this with my steering wheel buttons?
Old 11-24-2007, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

here is what you need for the steering wheel controls:
http://www.pac-audio.com/products/pr...el%20Interface
watch out on posting non sponsor pricing. it would be okay to link directly to sony's website, just not circuit city.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:39 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may need to use the SWI-Jack with that model as the SWI-X may not work with that model Sony. The way the interface works is by utilizing your aftermarket radios remote control signal and transfering the steering controls into a signal that your aftermarket radio can read. Unfortunetly, some of the aftermarket radios are not compatible with the steering interfaces. I didn't see your specific Sony listed...I am out of stock on that one by the way (nice deck for the moeny)...but I would still contact PAC to make sure it will work with that specific model.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:53 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
You may need to use the SWI-Jack with that model as the SWI-X may not work with that model Sony.
SWI-Jack is for Alpine/Kenwood/JVC/Clarion. Requires a wired-remote port.

SWI-PS is for Pioneer/Sony. Requires a wired-remote port.

SWI-X is the universal IR version.

Why did you recommend the SWI-JACK when its not intended for Sony? Why wouldn't the SWI-X not work? Is the wireless remote not IR? I couldn't find mention of a wired remote port (I looked at the manual on Sony's site), so the SWI-PS won't work.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:49 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recommended the SWI-Jack (in error) because I recalled some aftermarket models utilizing infrared remotes that were not compatible with the SWI-X, PAC said to use the JACK instead although it appears to be wired in somehow (I haven't used this model personally...just the SWI-X).
It clearly states that about 25-30 different models of Sony are not compatible with the SWI-X. As I stated above "I didn't see your specific Sony listed...but I would still contact PAC to make sure it will work with that specific model". The reason I said that was fairly obvious I thought since PAC seems to have a problem with Sony...as well as JVC.
Just because a source unit has an infrared remote doesn't mean that it is compatible with the SWI-X. Only units that interface with infrared remotes that use a 38-40kHz carrier frequency.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

little update on this, i was about to pull the trigger on that sony but circuit city didnt have the steering wheel control thing... so i went to crutchfield and it says that swi-jack/v/x/ps all of those wont work... i guess i need to pick a new hu?