Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Intermittent Starting Problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 06:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Intermittent Starting Problem!!!

Here's the deal.

I have a 1999 Camaro SS, with a ls-1 engine. The Car has had ZERO problems until now. It starts now only once in a while. The battery is fully charged. The starter is cranking the engine. I can hear the fuel pump prime when I turn the key to "on". It starts once in say..every 15 tries. Hot or cold does not seem to be an issue. when it does start, it starts like there was never any problem, and runs great. as soon as I stop the engine, same problem.

Things I have done to the engine recently:

run fuel system cleaner

remove and replace the intake manifold to replace the knock sensors. (prob. did not start till about a week after this)

spray throttle body cleaner thru the throttle body (when i did the knock sensors)

The computer is not popping any codes. I am hoping someone has had a problem like this , and can help me narrow down the cause.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:08 PM
11 Second Club

let me take a look ill post back in a mintue see if i can find anything
Old 11-24-2007, 10:09 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Crank or Cam position sensor. One of them is the problem.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:26 PM
11 Second Club

alright man first i would make sure that you are actually getting fuel pressure,try changing your filter first,

then after that check the wiring to the ckp sensor and the cmp sensor, if you still find nothing check the pcm wiring if nothing really stick its head at you, check the passenger door module, sometime if these fail the engine will not start but i think this is a far shot, when these go out none of the acc work in the car,,

check all that stuff and see, also make sure that there isnt a loose connection at the ignition coils on each side of the valve cover, that should keep you busy,

honestly my money is on the ckp has failed, when these intermantely fail theyre are really hard to diagnose, unless you have a lab scope and get lucky enought to spot it acting up,

good luck and post what you find
Old 11-24-2007, 11:17 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1Z28
Crank or Cam position sensor. One of them is the problem.
Cam postion sensor determins injector pulse and wont cause a non-start. Most likely it's a crank sensor, If the starter is cranking but no spark then I would replace it. Also check for proper fuel pressure if you do have a spark.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:24 PM
TECH Regular

I had the same exact problem on my 98 and i couldn't figure it out. I finally took it to an electrician and he found it in about 20 minutes. it was some bad wiring and was not getting sufficient power to the fuel pump. he fixed it for $25.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by XpEdItIoUs
Cam postion sensor determins injector pulse and wont cause a non-start.
No pulse means no fuel which means no start.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:44 PM
10 Second Club

No pulse means no fuel which means no start.
okay really thanks, now i can ask for a raise at my work
Old 11-25-2007, 12:51 PM
Launching!

Maybe you should find a new job. If an injector doesn't pulse it doesn't flow.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:55 PM
10 Second Club

Maybe you should find a new job. If an injector doesn't pulse it doesn't flow.
I know how a injector works but did you know if the cam sensor goes bad the the ref voltage will make the pcm throw a code? He said there is no codes i have seen crank sensors get dirty and now get a proper magnetic pick up but hey your the ase gold master tech here so why argue with you right?
Old 11-25-2007, 12:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NatlCtySS
Here's the deal.

I have a 1999 Camaro SS, with a ls-1 engine. The Car has had ZERO problems until now. It starts now only once in a while. The battery is fully charged. The starter is cranking the engine. I can hear the fuel pump prime when I turn the key to "on". It starts once in say..every 15 tries. Hot or cold does not seem to be an issue. when it does start, it starts like there was never any problem, and runs great. as soon as I stop the engine, same problem.

Things I have done to the engine recently:

run fuel system cleaner

remove and replace the intake manifold to replace the knock sensors. (prob. did not start till about a week after this)

spray throttle body cleaner thru the throttle body (when i did the knock sensors)

The computer is not popping any codes. I am hoping someone has had a problem like this , and can help me narrow down the cause.
I would help you out if you live closer i have a fuel pressure tester and a spark tester.. I also have a hold of a mac mentor that can see exactly what the cam and crank sensor are doing if you take it to a shop they will charge about $60 for diagnostics and will carry the fee over toward the repair if you get it done there
Old 11-25-2007, 01:02 PM
Launching!

So you've never seen a sensor fail with out throwing a code. If you read the first post you would see he said it was a intermitent problem. I mearly stated the two most obvious sensors to look at. But you know best because no one else but you can fix a car. Better ask for that raise!
Old 11-25-2007, 01:08 PM
10 Second Club

So you've never seen a sensor fail with out throwing a code. If you read the first post you would see he said it was a intermitent problem. I mearly stated the two most obvious sensors to look at. But you know best because no one else but you can fix a car. Better ask for that raise!
I have seen many fail, I work with guy that can fix any car faster than i can if my life depended on it
Old 11-25-2007, 01:34 PM
10 Second Club

Its cool bro i have seem many things on cars that you would of never thought causing the problem.. For example a fuse that was preventing the charging system charge properly But i shouldn't say a cam sensor wont cause a non start because it can but he said there was no codes so first thing i was thinking was spark, fuel and air (vacumm).
Old 11-25-2007, 01:42 PM
11 Second Club

i too have diagnosed a failed ckp sensor with no trouble codes,
sometimes they collect too much metal fuzz and the signal can be distorted,

this also sounds like a long shot but try disconnecting the alternator connector, sometimes an alternator can emit a rf signal which interefears with many sensors,
Old 11-25-2007, 01:46 PM
11 Second Club

also the way i understand it,

if you are driving and your cmp sensor fails or the pcm loses connection with it, you car can still run, you pcm just uses the ckp, but as soon as you turn your car off it will not start again.

so with that said i to agree with ls1z that i would first check the cmp sensor and or wiring and ckp sensor and or wiring, i think you will find your problem there,

luke
Old 11-25-2007, 02:16 PM
10 Second Club

Before we get all technical and start getting into sensors let check fuel pressure, and spark. Let not get ahead of things here guys, he did say it starts sometimes but no DTC. if everything checks out fine let go into the sensors if the crank/cam sensor where to loose connection with the pcm the pcm would throw a code when it dosn't get a ref voltage from it. but you never know sometime **** happens. it dosn't have to be a cam or crank sensor gone bad, it could be voltage to the injectors/coil packs as well. Injectors and the coil packs have fuses to you know, Before you start sending him to go buy expensive sensors he need to determine the cause of it. Since ive seen non blown fuses do funny things. It can even be VATS because the key has a resistance that you BCM uses to know the car is not being stolen.

Last edited by XpEdItIoUs; 11-25-2007 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:40 PM
FormerVendor

is the security light flashing when this happens?????
Old 11-25-2007, 03:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ROB55
is the security light flashing when this happens?????
Listen to rob he has more experience with ls1's than anyone I know
Old 11-25-2007, 06:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NatlCtySS

. The starter is cranking the engine. .
If the security light was on it wouldn't crank.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Starting Problem!!!