Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much does a iron block LSx motor weigh as compared to a aluminum headed LT1???

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How much does a iron block LSx motor weigh as compared to a aluminum headed LT1???

How much does a iron block LSx motor weigh as compared to a aluminum headed LT1???

The reason I ask this is what I am planning for a long term project is doing a LT1 to LSx engine swap into a 1995 Caprice 9C1. I was thinking along the lines of a LSx stroker like a 6.0 liter LSx with forged internals, 4" crank, high performance cam and a L92 head/L76 intake combination.

Since there are many more iron block LSx motors available from the junk/salvage yards than the aluminum block motors such as the LS1, LS6, LS2 etc. (more trucks and SUV's got Gen III and Gen IV motors from the General than actual cars.). So what is the the actual weight of their iron block aluminum headed brethern, the LQ9, LQ4 ?? And does their weight compare to a iron block/aluminum headed LT1???

Since the B-Body weighs in at about 4400 LBS an aluminum block LS2 would be nice but in means critical to overall vehicle dynamics. But if I can score a L92 from rapper flipped over his brand new '06 or '07 Caddy Escalade I'll take that too.

I do intend to auto-X and road race the car.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats the swap im doing to my 95, i'd imagine that it would be close to the same as far as weight give or take 50lbs, when i get the a arms back on and the wheels on i will check the ride height to see if its changed any. other than that i dont know for sure.

well the genIII has a plastic intake vs heavier aluminum, both blocks are iron, except the gen III has more meat especially on the bottom end (deep skirt) i bet its close
Old 11-25-2007, 12:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried impalassforum.com? I know several guys over there have done similar swaps.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:38 AM
Banned

lt1 bloack and iroon lsx are prolly close to the same....the iron ls1 is 80-85 more than the aluminum...same heads on both id assume they weight the same...so your looking at 85 pound differance between iron and aluminum...

btw im a huge lt1 guy and daly drive one...but if it were me and going fast was the key id go ls1...comfortability ect id go lt1....to move the big caprice it would be nice to build a CHEAP ls2 iron 402....not much machine work...heads are great outa the box with l92 stuff available its way cheaper to build a lsx

lt1 are just a lot less fickle if you ask me...ls1 are moody like a girl with pms
Old 11-25-2007, 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Damillio
Have you tried impalassforum.com? I know several guys over there have done similar swaps.
They were the first place I posted but as of now no one who has actually done the conversion has piped up as yet. But I am hopeful. The LSx conversion is gaining in popularity in the B-Body community since LSx's are soooo easy to get big HP/TQ numbers out of them and still maintain halfway decent gas mileage and good street manners.

That L92 head is freaking amazing!!!! And even the run of the mill LS6 and LS2heads were so slouches out of box either.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd guess the iron block, aluminum head & plastic intake truck motor would weigh about 5-50-70lbs less than the iron block, iron head & aluminum intake LT1 motor.

Re'
Old 11-26-2007, 09:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if had a scale at the time i would have weighed them side by side

Last edited by CamaroRick; 12-10-2009 at 01:49 PM.

Quick Reply: How much does a iron block LSx motor weigh as compared to a aluminum headed LT1???