Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrangler LS1

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrangler LS1

Well all i can say is that its a lot faster than it used to be . Probably gonna need a new rear axle soon but oh well.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dig it. i really want to do this someday. did you use the painless wire harness?
Old 11-27-2007, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

More info!!

Do you have a D44 or D35?? YIKES!
Old 11-27-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

Nice ride man!!
Old 11-28-2007, 07:41 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is awesome, my son wants to do it to his Cherokee. Bob
Old 11-28-2007, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah...Im going to put on in my Cherokee one of these days. One swap at a time

That looks pretty good! Can you get vids of it running/driving?

And I hope you plan on getting that D35 (if thats you have) out of there soon...Go with a ford 8.8 over a D44... Stronger, disc brakes, and SUPER easy to do gear set ups in.

We just welded TJ brackets onto an 8.8 for my buddies jeep. And Im in the process of re-gearing it now. You can get those axles pretty cheap too. Especially if you get one from a mercury mountaineer instead of an explorer. Same axle, usually lower price..

J.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

awesome! i see you got the Long tubes in there lol lucky you

is that the 24 dollar auto zone air filter on there? lol i use to have the same one

what are you doing about a coolant bottle? i used one off a 2000 cavalier

Old 11-28-2007, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sweet!
Old 11-28-2007, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

Ah man, I didn't even think about that.. hehe.. And I thought I had just about every part imaginable ordered or here already for my swap. Any particular reason for the cav bottle? Or was it just readily available at the time? Time for me to start looking around.

I didn't realize it, but the AA transfer case adapter and output shaft requires that I completely disassemble my 4L60E to swap it out since I'm using a 2WD tranny. I just ordered a DVD on how to do it since I've never messed with an auto before.

I have the 44/30 combo of axles, but plan to ditch both of them in favor of a dana 60 pair in the spring. I just have to sell the vette first

Originally Posted by TXjeepTJ

is that the 24 dollar auto zone air filter on there? lol i use to have the same one

what are you doing about a coolant bottle? i used one off a 2000 cavalier

Old 11-28-2007, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 98blackSS
Ah man, I didn't even think about that.. hehe.. And I thought I had just about every part imaginable ordered or here already for my swap. Any particular reason for the cav bottle? Or was it just readily available at the time? Time for me to start looking around.

I didn't realize it, but the AA transfer case adapter and output shaft requires that I completely disassemble my 4L60E to swap it out since I'm using a 2WD tranny. I just ordered a DVD on how to do it since I've never messed with an auto before.

I have the 44/30 combo of axles, but plan to ditch both of them in favor of a dana 60 pair in the spring. I just have to sell the vette first
well i went looking around a few junk yards (under the hoods of different cars/trucks) to see which coolant bottle would look/fit the best and the cavalier was #1 for best fit and look

did you order the dvd from technical videos? i got mine from there and it really makes transmission work seem really easy lol i installed the output shaft in mine and also rebuilt the whole thing w/ a few tiny upgrades that the dvd shows you how (free mods)
Old 11-29-2007, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

Yep, that's the one. Seems to be a very common DVD as I found it on quite a few sites. That's cool that it was worth the price, sounds like I'll def need it. I'll be tackling that task tomorrow after I help a friend install a fuel pump in his V8 powered Jeep.

I'll probably order a cav tank off of ebay now then. Thanks.

well i went looking around a few junk yards (under the hoods of different cars/trucks) to see which coolant bottle would look/fit the best and the cavalier was #1 for best fit and look

did you order the dvd from technical videos? i got mine from there and it really makes transmission work seem really easy lol i installed the output shaft in mine and also rebuilt the whole thing w/ a few tiny upgrades that the dvd shows you how (free mods)
Old 11-30-2007, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

Going with 60's, very nice. Aftermarket or junk yard?
What size tires are you planning on running?
What headers did you use? Stock, cusomt built, aftermarket?

I'm doing an LS swap into my Tj as well.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:45 PM
TECH Resident

If I can get the vette sold, I was planning on going with either Currie or the dynatrac HP60 combos. I know, pricey as hell, but I like the idea of a bolt in since I've never set em up before. Actually, there's a local guy selling a D60 rear with 35 spline dutchman chromo axles, wilwood brakes, 4.88's and already set up for a TJ. He wants a grand for it so I may snag it. Only thing it's a LP and has a spool and I really want OX's front and rear but I can always change that later.

Headers are one of the few things that I was going to wait til the motor was in before I decided what to do. I need to see how much room is there. I could probably always go with some shorties like pacesetter or sanderson.

For tires that's also up in the air.. Right now I'm running 33's but for the trail I'm thinking 37 or 38's once I get the long arm kit installed.

Originally Posted by V8TJ
Going with 60's, very nice. Aftermarket or junk yard?
What size tires are you planning on running?
What headers did you use? Stock, cusomt built, aftermarket?

I'm doing an LS swap into my Tj as well.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Very Cool Man-----bet it flies...
Old 11-30-2007, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

Wink

Originally Posted by 98blackSS
If I can get the vette sold, I was planning on going with either Currie or the dynatrac HP60 combos. I know, pricey as hell, but I like the idea of a bolt in since I've never set em up before. Actually, there's a local guy selling a D60 rear with 35 spline dutchman chromo axles, wilwood brakes, 4.88's and already set up for a TJ. He wants a grand for it so I may snag it. Only thing it's a LP and has a spool and I really want OX's front and rear but I can always change that later.

Headers are one of the few things that I was going to wait til the motor was in before I decided what to do. I need to see how much room is there. I could probably always go with some shorties like pacesetter or sanderson.

For tires that's also up in the air.. Right now I'm running 33's but for the trail I'm thinking 37 or 38's once I get the long arm kit installed.

Sounds like it's going to be very nice!
Have you checked into Solid Axles? http://www.solidaxle.com/

Check out my thread here to see their stuff. https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/757015-ls1-700r4-into-02-jeep-tj.html
They make GREAT stuff. If you like em let me know and I can get you in touch with the owner. I'm around off road, as it's my job, and I would run the Solid's hands down.

What LA kit are you looking at? RE, Full Traction, Poly? There are a lot of really nice ones out there.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:36 PM
TECH Resident

Oops Yeah Solid is also right up there in my list, just forgot to mention them before. Do you have experience with both the ARB and OX's? Which do you prefer? Everyone seems to be pro-ARB on the forums, but I also read a ton of leak related stories as well. Something about the OX that just seems simpler and no air requirement needed.

Not sure on which LA kit, but I'm leaning towards either RE or Clayton.

I've been following your build for a while now, VERY impressive, great job.

Sorry for hijacking the OP's thread

Originally Posted by V8TJ
Sounds like it's going to be very nice!
Have you checked into Solid Axles? http://www.solidaxle.com/

Check out my thread here to see their stuff. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=757015
They make GREAT stuff. If you like em let me know and I can get you in touch with the owner. I'm around off road, as it's my job, and I would run the Solid's hands down.

What LA kit are you looking at? RE, Full Traction, Poly? There are a lot of really nice ones out there.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

Lots of good info for him on all this too!

ARB has more support, been around longer and works great. The main issues will come with the install. If the shop that is doing it has done em and can do them right, you shouldnt have many issues at all. I say not many issues, cause with a LS, big tires and a HP in the rear, the R&P become the weak link and that in turn can take out a carries, IE, the ARB.

That said Im running ARB's F/R and would do so any day! OX has good stuff, but they're kinda neither here nor there on the support side. They had someone on staff that was great and worked with the off road community very well, George. But he left due to some issues...Im thinking lack of support by OX themselves. Still good product though.

Last edited by V8TJ; 11-30-2007 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

I just read on another forum that the OP lost his motor on the freeway.. Hopefully he'll be back up and running soon.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

what long tubes will fit?

I was thinking about having some custom made because I didnt think there were any out there that would work...???
Old 12-02-2007, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Now that's a jeep! I bet that things a blast to drive.

Quick Reply: Wrangler LS1