Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

A4 -> T56 wiring help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 10:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A4 -> T56 wiring help!!

Im swapping in a t56 out of an 01 camaro into my 98 TA. I am now wondering about the wiring to the tranny. I had a big green connector on my a4, which I don't have on the t56. there are like 10 or so wires in it. Do i need to cut these and run them to the various sensors on the t56 tranny? If so which ones go where? Please help asap. Im kinda a a stand still right now.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:13 AM
TECH Resident

I found my old instructions... all of these wires come off of the harness that connected to the shifter assy. there are 6 wires total on it.

for hatch release you connect the orange w/black stripe to the black wire

clutch safety switch - connect the purple w/white stripe and the dark green to the clutch switch

reverse lights is the light green and brown wires connected to the sensor on the pass side of the tranny.

reverse lockout is another story, you need to switch a wire around on the PCM harness (or get the T56 engine harness). I don't know which slot off hand, but it's all in that sticky. Pretty much that wire that you swap on the harness is going to be a wire from that A4 connector you mentioned, Then you wire that into that reverse lockout with a pink wire from the o2 sensor (12V constant power).

The speed sensor connector is the same on the A4 and M6, but you do need to extend the wires for the M6.

The skip shift eliminator I have no idea about. you'll have to search through the sticky for it, I just left it alone and programed it out of the PCM.

You shouldn't need to use any wires from that old connector on the A4 unless you use one of the wires for your reverse lockout. But you will use every wire from that shifter assy harness. You can wire them onto those tranny sensors somehow, but I found the connector's on ebay which made it pretty easy. and for just wire the extra cruise cutoff switch from the clutch in series with the original cutoff switch from the brake. I had to buy the extra cruise cutoff switch and clutch safety switch from the dealer.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:17 AM
12 Second Club

There are 4 sensors on the tranny, and at the moment I have 1 plug (VSS) that will go in the tranny. I will wire for the reverse lockout, so that leaves me with 2 sensors that wont have anything plugged into them. What are they? And which one is the reverse lockout on the tranny?
Old 11-26-2007, 09:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

the reverse lockout is on the left side of the tranny. its right by the shifter i beleive
Old 11-26-2007, 09:36 AM
12 Second Club

Thats what I thought, but what about the other 2 sensors on the tranny??
Old 11-26-2007, 09:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you read the sticky?? It should tell you everything that you will need to do as far as wiring and all that good stuff.

Quick Reply: A4 -> T56 wiring help!!