Determining Interest - DFW car club?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 10:40 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb Determining Interest - DFW car club?

Recently in the Texas Forum I have seen a few guys posting up trying to find out where the local meets are and if there are any Clubs in their area. I posted up in a couple of those threads stating that I would be willing to help out in some way if there was enough interest in putting a formal club together, or helping to expand an existing club. There will be rules to follow. I will not tolerate kids acting like kids, if you show your *** you will be asked to leave and not be invited back.

This is not about a place to hang out, but rather a place to gather and discuss car stuff, discuss mods, have a "show and tell" in order to help guys learn more about their cars and help them learn how to do things themselves... I think you get the idea.

Here is what I have in mind... it is a work in progress but I think it is a place to start....

To have a Club there should be a meeting place, a common area that the members could call their own in order to gather. It needs to be able to accomodate many cars... I have the space to do just that. There should be enough room for at least 20 people to hang out. Got that covered too.

There needs to be some sort of organization... for lack of a better term, a "Board" needs to be appointed or voted on once there are enough participants. The reason for the leadership is to provide direction for the group. I do not mind helping to get that process started. Basically I'll serve as the catalyst, but it would not be "my" group... it would belong to the members and they decide what happens and when based on some suggestions from myself and of course the group at large.

I suggest that there be some sort of regular activity that everyone can become a part of... track days, road trips, host other groups and invite Speakers from time to time etc...

It will not be something that is open to everybody with a car... rather it should be tailored to those guys who are interested in Late Model GM performance vehicles... F-Bodies, GTO's, Trucks, etc...

Those are a few thoughts I have put together... I am sure I am not the 1st person to suggest this. But maybe my facility can serve as a regular meeting spot for guys who are serious about having a Car Club.

If this is something that interests you then shoot me a p.m. so that I can take a "roll call" so to speak. I will get back to you as this evolves.

And of course I am open to suggestions.

Happy Holidays from us at ACE Racing Transmissions!

g
Old 11-26-2007, 02:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
Recently in the Texas Forum I have seen a few guys posting up trying to find out where the local meets are and if there are any Clubs in their area. I posted up in a couple of those threads stating that I would be willing to help out in some way if there was enough interest in putting a formal club together, or helping to expand an existing club. There will be rules to follow. I will not tolerate kids acting like kids, if you show your *** you will be asked to leave and not be invited back.

This is not about a place to hang out, but rather a place to gather and discuss car stuff, discuss mods, have a "show and tell" in order to help guys learn more about their cars and help them learn how to do things themselves... I think you get the idea.

Here is what I have in mind... it is a work in progress but I think it is a place to start....

To have a Club there should be a meeting place, a common area that the members could call their own in order to gather. It needs to be able to accomodate many cars... I have the space to do just that. There should be enough room for at least 20 people to hang out. Got that covered too.

There needs to be some sort of organization... for lack of a better term, a "Board" needs to be appointed or voted on once there are enough participants. The reason for the leadership is to provide direction for the group. I do not mind helping to get that process started. Basically I'll serve as the catalyst, but it would not be "my" group... it would belong to the members and they decide what happens and when based on some suggestions from myself and of course the group at large.

I suggest that there be some sort of regular activity that everyone can become a part of... track days, road trips, host other groups and invite Speakers from time to time etc...

It will not be something that is open to everybody with a car... rather it should be tailored to those guys who are interested in Late Model GM performance vehicles... F-Bodies, GTO's, Trucks, etc...

Those are a few thoughts I have put together... I am sure I am not the 1st person to suggest this. But maybe my facility can serve as a regular meeting spot for guys who are serious about having a Car Club.

If this is something that interests you then shoot me a p.m. so that I can take a "roll call" so to speak. I will get back to you as this evolves.

And of course I am open to suggestions.

Happy Holidays from us at ACE Racing Transmissions!

g

Bad idea Gilbert. This type of stuff tries to get put together ALL the time. Its always negative in the end.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:36 PM
FormerVendor

I hear ya Mike, it could go south ... same as other meets have gone recently. It is a matter of having the right people involved for the right reasons IMHO.

I have had more than a few guys hit me with P.M.'s here recently asking me to get something going. We'll see where it goes from here.

g
Old 11-26-2007, 03:02 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Here in Houston, there is a weekly show on Sat evenings that is held by a classic car club. They do things the right way.

-getting approval of the property managers to use the Kroger's parking lot
-hiring police officers to attend and keep assclowns from acting up
-barricading off the area, only allowing specific (classic) vehicles to enter the parking area
-hiring a DJ to play tunes
-doing raffles and drawings
-crew to pick up litter afterwards

They do all this on donations alone. People enjoy having a well-lit area to hang out with similar cars and keep the assclown ricers from doing donuts in the parking lot. Man I can't stand idiots who ruin gatherings for everyone else.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Here in Houston, there is a weekly show on Sat evenings that is held by a classic car club. They do things the right way.

-barricading off the area, only allowing specific (classic) vehicles to enter the parking area

They do all this on donations alone. People enjoy having a well-lit area to hang out with similar cars and keep the assclown ricers from doing donuts in the parking lot. Man I can't stand idiots who ruin gatherings for everyone else.
Where is this?
Old 11-26-2007, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I told you i was in! just give me more info ! thx
Old 11-26-2007, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I will not tolerate kids acting like kids
Am I the only one that found that part kinda funny?

Where is this?
I think he may be refering to the one at spring cypress and champions forrest drive.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:12 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes, Spring Cypress near 249, but the last show of the season was the weekend before Thanksgiving.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:23 PM
12 Second Club

I have been posting up and around looking for something.
Everything I am seeing, does not seem to have direction.

Direction, wise of set times, dates, track trips, meets, etc.

and the ones that do, are not local to the DFW area.

kind of stumps me that we are in this big city, and there is nothing major for car clubs, fbody clubs..

I have seen the f body association deal, but does not seem like a very strong following... Or it could be that some people try to get involved, and then just kind of drop it.

I have found alot of lowrider clubs, and they seem to have their **** together.

But not too many racing/fbod clubs.
I know of the few meets around, and I guess the one in Huless is pretty good. Hooters 1 that is.

oh well...
Old 11-26-2007, 03:26 PM
FormerVendor

[QUOTE=aggiez28;8192077]Am I the only one that found that part kinda funny?QUOTE]

I know it sounds cheezy... but I think you get the point.

I can remember back when I was in High School in the late 70's and early 80's in East Dallas when it was nothing to see a lot full of Muscle Cars and there were no burnouts in the parking lot, no blipping the throttle, nobody leaning on it when leaving etc.... Just good folks getting together for good fun. Maybe things have changed enough that it cannot happen again... I choose to think otherwise.

g
Old 11-26-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know it sounds cheezy... but I think you get the point.
I got the point, it was still good for a little laugh
Old 11-26-2007, 03:33 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Nine Ball

There is something very similar that is held at a local High School Stadium parking lot once a month... it is sponsored by the local Good Guys crowd.

And it is because of local assclowns that one of the best GTG's has been postponed until further notice... and it's the off season of course. I am pretty sure that if it is fired up next year it will be scaled back dramatically.

What I have in mind is more of a club where guys get together to learn about their cars in a controlled environment. Where local Industry Professionals come in to talk to the group, where they can meet up and then roll out to special events and so on...

It might be a pipe dream... but I don't think so.

g
Old 11-26-2007, 03:38 PM
Launching!

I like what you're saying but its in DFW. You should move your shop down here
Old 11-26-2007, 03:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
There is something very similar that is held at a local High School Stadium parking lot once a month... it is sponsored by the local Good Guys crowd.

And it is because of local assclowns that one of the best GTG's has been postponed until further notice... and it's the off season of course. I am pretty sure that if it is fired up next year it will be scaled back dramatically.

What I have in mind is more of a club where guys get together to learn about their cars in a controlled environment. Where local Industry Professionals come in to talk to the group, where they can meet up and then roll out to special events and so on...

It might be a pipe dream... but I don't think so.

g

I like what you are saying also... People getting together and shooting the **** about cars... Not about " I can beat you... Lets go right now kind of crap".

But everything I have read shows that people did try and start something, but peeps messed it up...

If someone gets something started, or if other heads are looking to get something started.. I would say there be like a annual fee.. (might help keep the punks out) and if you screw up, then you are out. and no refund.. Thanks for the money.

And with the annual fees, start using it towards making the club a big, well organized club. Like renting out the tracks... getting with other clubs to come up here and go in on renting tracks out for the members...
shirts.. logos.. etc...

This is all IMO...
Old 11-26-2007, 03:43 PM
12 Second Club

I visit dallas as much as possible and will be moving back hopefully in six to eight months, can I come when I visit.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:47 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by quickblade
I like what you are saying also... People getting together and shooting the **** about cars... Not about " I can beat you... Lets go right now kind of crap".

But everything I have read shows that people did try and start something, but peeps messed it up...

If someone gets something started, or if other heads are looking to get something started.. I would say there be like a annual fee.. (might help keep the punks out) and if you screw up, then you are out. and no refund.. Thanks for the money.

And with the annual fees, start using it towards making the club a big, well organized club. Like renting out the tracks... getting with other clubs to come up here and go in on renting tracks out for the members...
shirts.. logos.. etc...

This is all IMO...
That's right. If folks have a monetary interest they are less likely to act up.
Also, by having a Treasury it is very possible to do the extracurricular things you mentioned.

The first place to start is by getting interest up. From there we can establish goals, it is not going to happen overnight and it is not going to be easy. But if enough of the right minds get together it could be a good thing for a lot of folks to be a part of.

g
Old 11-26-2007, 04:05 PM
12 Second Club

Well. With all that being said... If there are others out there interested...
We should all have a meeting of the minds....

Like Ratchthed said, this will not be an overnight deal... But if we could find out if there are DFW.... mature... peeps that are down.

I would say get as many heads together, have a meet on what we all might want to do and how to get us set up and rocking.

Might be a good starting point.... There are alot of options out there for getting stuff like this put together, just have to get enough dedicated people to help out, and keep it up and running.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hell here in Waco we cant keep a normal meeting spot because of stupid *** people. It pisses me off so bad. We have been ran out of 3 places in the last couple months. I guess people think its cool to come in the parking lot and start burning out or other stupid ****. As long as you keep it regulated with a police officer then I think there will be no problems.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:00 PM
FormerVendor

Well, my shop is conveniently located appx. 1 mile down the street from the Police Station. Same street. That's not to say that there won't be any undercurrents, it will be something that needs to be handled on a case by case situation.

I would prefer to think that the people that attend these functions would be here for all the right reasons. If not, they will lose the privildege of hanging with a good crowd. It's that simple to me.

g
Old 11-26-2007, 06:10 PM
TECH Resident

You know i am in.