Physics major with Mechanical Engineering minor

Old 11-26-2007, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Physics major with Mechanical Engineering minor

What do you guys think? Hopefully, I'll be transferring to UH next fall to finish up my BS in Physics. A lot of people have been telling me to get an engineering degree since it's more marketable and so forth. Would the ME minor make a good enough difference in the workforce?
Old 11-26-2007, 06:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Shackleford
What do you guys think? Hopefully, I'll be transferring to UH next fall to finish up my BS in Physics. A lot of people have been telling me to get an engineering degree since it's more marketable and so forth. Would the ME minor make a good enough difference in the workforce?
Reverse your major and minor.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -Ross-
Roger.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

No. I am not doing that. I've already decided that a physics major is more for me. The only reason why I'm considering an ME minor is to give me a few industry options for work.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

No. I am not doing that. I've already decided that a physics major is more for me. The only reason why I'm considering an ME minor is to give me a few industry options for work.
Oh, I see. Well, I'm sure that minor wouldn't hurt. Ever thought of a business minor...for a future management position maybe?
Old 11-26-2007, 06:25 PM
TECH Addict

Oh, I see. Well, I'm sure that minor wouldn't hurt. Ever thought of a business minor...for a future management position maybe?
You know, I never really thought about that. I'd get the pure science and math I want and some business knowledge. I'll definitely consider it now. Thanks.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:30 PM
Launching!

yeh a business minor will open you up more in the job market then a minor in ME
Old 11-26-2007, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

I have never heard of a minor in an engineering field.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:53 PM
TECH Regular

what are you planning to do with a physic's degree?? teach? or medical school?? get a Phd??

i know of many people that have went that route..getting a science degree and didnt get into medical school..now most are not making much because they are either teaching or doing research jobs..

i also dont think you can have a minor in ME..i was a ME major at UT along time ago but decided to get out of it once i found out that you cant make that much money for the amount of time and studying you have to put in..

i know some will say its not all about money..but in the end it is..especially when you are still in school have a chance to make the correct decision now..So think about what you really want to do...
Old 11-26-2007, 07:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

use that knowledge to help me solve my gmmg rasp...in the external engine section...
Old 11-26-2007, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sc300
what are you planning to do with a physic's degree?? teach? or medical school?? get a Phd??

i know of many people that have went that route..getting a science degree and didnt get into medical school..now most are not making much because they are either teaching or doing research jobs..

i also dont think you can have a minor in ME..i was a ME major at UT along time ago but decided to get out of it once i found out that you cant make that much money for the amount of time and studying you have to put in..

i know some will say its not all about money..but in the end it is..especially when you are still in school have a chance to make the correct decision now..So think about what you really want to do...
Well, ideally, I'd certainly like to go all the way to a Ph.D. If that will happen, I don't know, but I will shoot for it.

I can't have a minor in ME? UH offers a minor in Mechanical Engineering. I emailed their website professor contact just to make sure. You have to take 18 hours of ME courses. Some of the required basic courses are basically introductory courses of some of the physics courses I'll have to take, e.g. thermodynamics, mechanics.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am getting a bachelors in Physics and my masters in ME, or that is the plan. I know that most major universities have no problem admitting physics majors into their engineering schools (as long as your gpa is good of course, atleast 3.25-3.5). I am planning on attending TAMU after my 4 yrs at my current D3 school. It sounds like this route may suit you.

Just another option...
Old 11-26-2007, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, at the very least, if you can't find a job you'll be the inspiration for a new main character on The Big Bang Theory tv show...
Old 11-26-2007, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TLUZLS1
I am getting a bachelors in Physics and my masters in ME, or that is the plan. I know that most major universities have no problem admitting physics majors into their engineering schools. I am planning on attending TAMU after my 4 yrs at my current D3 school. It sounds like this route may suit you.

Just another option...
Yeah, I was also thinking about that - maybe getting an ME specializing in Materials Science or Aerospace if I decide it interests me.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can't believe that any school would allow MINORS in engineering. Engineering uses physics and math, not the other way around.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They do not offer a minor in Eng at my school either.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:17 PM
Banned

I believe that an engineering degree with a minor in sex education would be more valuable than anything else that is being offered right now.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kerryt1
I can't believe that any school would allow MINORS in engineering. Engineering uses physics and math, not the other way around.
I don't understand your incredulousness about the engineering minor.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

some of the minors require 18 hours.you can actually take only six more hours to make it 24hrs and double major, atleast that is the way they do it at the UH business school.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've never heard of it before, and frankly it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

More importantly, it seems like a waste of time to me. I don't think it'll get you anything other than bolstering your own education, but that's just me (what do I know, I'm just a mechanical engineer ). I don't mean to sound pretentious- I am not the guy who thinks engineers are better than everyone else...

Why not just wait and take those 18 hours as part of a mech-e masters degree, which WOULD get you somewhere?

My $0.02, take it or leave it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Physics major with Mechanical Engineering minor