Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

2001 Trans Am rear end Q's

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Trans Am rear end Q's

Hi, Sons car with a stock rear end. It's a 6 speed & think after reading here. It's a 3 channel with the large ABS ring. No traction control on it. On the type of rear Q? The spyder gears have no springs showing thru the holes on the carrier. He got some wheel hop & the rear end started to lock up. Turned out both the bolt heads of one side, on the left side of the lower ring. Next to one another, broke off. these are the ones that go into the cast iron spyder carrier. One bolt head was binding the rear end up between the bearing cap and the left of the ring. Why would these break? Left bearing cage got damaged on the lip & going to have the beaings both replaced. I took out the other 2 bolts & the cast spyder carrier dosen't come off. Normal? Would I need to take off the other 10 bolts to do it. I was thinking about inspecting the spyders. Are there upgraded bolts or bearings we should get? The main ring & pinion were not damaged, nor the center of the ring on the left. Other than a few scratch marks. Think I figured the type, a zexel torsen. Dave

Last edited by locodave46; 11-26-2007 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:34 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave, a six speed and the factory rear spell disaster. Take a look at the stickies at the top for info. Bob
Old 11-28-2007, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

Hi, Thank You for the responce. I have been looking thru all the posts on it. Stickys. Thought is, he got lucky on not taking out the whole thing. He hit a patch of ground that caused the wheel hop. He's not the type to run up the rpms & dump the clutch. Street driven. I taught him how to drive a stick correctly. Beat me at auto-crossing, same car, me & him driving, by a second. Nice run & congrats him after it. Fair & square. Once the clutch is out, I explained. Your using the engine to launch the car thru the gears. Don't damage the clutch. ( I've never had to replace a clutch in a car I've bought new.) Let the drive train handle the power. Explained & he knows if power applyed smouthly. Most drivetrains, on a stock motor,trans setup. Will handle the power. It's when you shock a metal part, it might not handle it & breakage. Read about ppl that have them work ok for years. He learned this when while driving my old MG, the one half shaft broke. We took it apart together. I wanted to see if he was at fault on the damage. And said this to him before we did it. With him with me doing it, we could both see. It wasn't his fault & both understood what caused it. Little by little doing auto-crossing, made the spyder tooth weak. You can tell looking at it if a old small break-crack & got larger. Color of the metal at the break. It was because one of the spyder gears broke a tooth & got lodged into another tooth, and locked up, on the rear end. Snapping the half-shaft. Dad's trying to teach the son what he knows. Son is remembering what dad said & showed him. LOL. He did a stupid on reving it up & dropping the clutch, it would of showed on a clean break & ole dad woulda got pissy on what he did. Didn't have to. Dave
Old 11-28-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Regular

I agree with Bob, I went with a 9" Never have to worry again. I have had many muscle cars and have always had a 12 bolt or a 9". My dad taught me to build my drive train around my motor not my motor around my drive train.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:44 PM
Staging Lane

Hi, Will let you know how it turns out in the future if it frags. Buddys friend has a rear end shop. Doing the grunt work on taking out the carrier, getting the broken bolts out. Bought some new Timken bearings & races. New bolts. He likes Royal Purple rear end fluid. Never heard of it, but bought some. Having him put it back in & look at every thing. At least an expert will put it back in. I don't know bupkee about adjusting them, but gonna watch & try to learn something. Good thought Jay on your dad teaching you right. All have to work together. Might be wrong on this. I was happy to see the Zexel-Torsen instead of the Aluburn, for his useage. I'm trying to keep the cost down for him on how he uses it & think he might be hunting for a stonger rear end in the future. Son's friend has the same car & started up-grading everything. Basicly it's now a drag car that has lots of $ in it. Son wants a house someday. I said you can save for a house downpayment or spend it on your car. Lol, Choices son, in life. Dave

Last edited by locodave46; 11-29-2007 at 07:52 PM.

Quick Reply: 2001 Trans Am rear end Q's