Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Starting to buy turbo parts for my Truck Manifold build

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 06:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Starting to buy turbo parts for my Truck Manifold build

Well I have recently decided to sell my cam and go turbo. I started buying parts all on ebay and once I get them all in a few weeks or so I will be installing the setup in probably 3 steps.

I bought a T70 turbo, Ebay intercooler, Ebay intercooler piping with BOV, I am getting a obx wastegate and rising fuel pressure regulator at my work straight from OBX. I am getting 42lb or 60lb injectors and a walbro 255lph pump, truck manifolds from a junkyard most likely. I am gonna get all the hot side piping and flanges and make the crossover pipe myself, and relocate the alternator to the passenger head. After that I am gonna have a shop make the exhaust.

I want to locate the turbo where the battery currently is, and move the battery to the back, then I am going to tuck the fuse boxes into the fender a little more and run the intercooler piping down to the intercooler, then up where the fuse box is and a couple L's to the TB.

My goals are 550rwhp with the T70 on 8psi. I dont plan on running a boost controller yet, but once I upgrade I will.

Does all this sound like a good plan? Or is there something I should change or add?

Thanks
-Scott
Old 11-27-2007, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

I would be interested in seeing pics of a truck manifold kit where the turbo is mounted where the battery sits. I too hope to start a turbo build very soon and would like mine to be mounted there as well.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

masterpower t70 truck manifold kit w/ truck alt. bracket......hat to barely notch the hood brace to clear the truck alt.... this setup is exactly like you discribed..........98 ss camaro.....for sale by the way for 8k

i tried to post pics of it but dont know how to resize them.....guess im stupid.....if someone can tell me how or do it for me i can email them to them..
Old 11-27-2007, 08:20 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sk8runeg
Well I have recently decided to sell my cam and go turbo. I started buying parts all on ebay and once I get them all in a few weeks or so I will be installing the setup in probably 3 steps.

I bought a T70 turbo, Ebay intercooler, Ebay intercooler piping with BOV, I am getting a obx wastegate and rising fuel pressure regulator at my work straight from OBX. I am getting 42lb or 60lb injectors and a walbro 255lph pump, truck manifolds from a junkyard most likely. I am gonna get all the hot side piping and flanges and make the crossover pipe myself, and relocate the alternator to the passenger head. After that I am gonna have a shop make the exhaust.

I want to locate the turbo where the battery currently is, and move the battery to the back, then I am going to tuck the fuse boxes into the fender a little more and run the intercooler piping down to the intercooler, then up where the fuse box is and a couple L's to the TB.

My goals are 550rwhp with the T70 on 8psi. I dont plan on running a boost controller yet, but once I upgrade I will.

Does all this sound like a good plan? Or is there something I should change or add?

Thanks
-Scott

Sound's good. Atleast you have a plan. You can get a manual boost controller for $50 and they work well or just run off the wastegate spring.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:42 PM
9 Second Club

Sounds like a good plan , stick to the plan or it will cost you more. Go with 60lbs injectors to start. I run the same Intercooler and piping. Junk yard manifolds. It still adds up in price quickly.

I did my own kit also and I wish I would of now put the Turbo where you want to . HAVE FUN !!!
Old 11-27-2007, 10:57 PM
12 Second Club

thanks guys! If anyone thinks there is something else I should add or change please let me know, it will still be a few weeks before I can even start on this so I still have time for changes to the plan... Once its started however, I am not gonna change a thing it is what it is and if it isnt then its not haha

-Scott
Old 11-28-2007, 12:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey Sk8runeg.

If you're still in Chelmsford, I'd be interested in giving you a hand with your install. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Joe.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:12 AM
12 Second Club

pm sent
Old 11-28-2007, 07:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

if it was me id get a better wastegate, guys on the turbo mustang board say they are a hit or miss, so 50% chance on it working ok.
also which brand turbo, unless it was given to me, i dont think id try an ebay or master power turbo. id say the BOV wouldn't matter to much. and if you need an alternator bracket let me know.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
if it was me id get a better wastegate, guys on the turbo mustang board say they are a hit or miss, so 50% chance on it working ok.
also which brand turbo, unless it was given to me, i dont think id try an ebay or master power turbo. id say the BOV wouldn't matter to much. and if you need an alternator bracket let me know.
im running ebay wg bov and a masterpower t70 and havent had any problems with them yet.......they have a masterpower survival poll on turbomustangs.com........you should look at it next time you are on there.....but hey, its not a 2000 dollar precision unit so it has to be junk right??? it only works if it cost alot......
Old 11-29-2007, 07:54 PM
TECH Regular

Just curious, what your reasons are for wanting to put the turbo in the battery position?
Old 11-29-2007, 09:28 PM
12 Second Club

It will allow me to use the factory fan setup and most of the factory radiator hoses, and it looks cool :-)

Also, the intercooler piping length will be greatly reduced much less bends are needed.

-Scott
Old 11-30-2007, 02:19 PM
11 Second Club

Any body have pics of a truck manifold kit where the turbo is mounted where the battery is . hope to start on my turbo build in the next few months
Old 11-30-2007, 02:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TX RED
Any body have pics of a truck manifold kit where the turbo is mounted where the battery is . hope to start on my turbo build in the next few months

i would like to see it also. if someone had pics that is.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:57 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Why do you need pics of that sort of setup??? Put the turbo there and run pipes to it... Run the pipes in a way where it won't melt anything.

Easy enough. Happy fab'in !! =D
Old 11-30-2007, 09:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Like This????????

Ok, I Didnt Build This Car So Dont Start Slamming Me About Stuff On It.....i Just Bought It Not To Long Ago And Got A Good Deal On It.there Is Some Stuff I Would Change About It If I Had Built It, But Oh Wheel....must Say Car Runs Pretty Damn Good, Has Almost No Lag Since I Cut The Exhaust Off Of It......there Was A Little Lag With The Magnaflow 3inch Single Exhaust On It. Car Has Not Hvac. Dont Know If You Could Run The Dp Like It Is With The Hvac In Place........this Car Makes Me Excited To Get My Other Turbo Car Finished.
Attached Thumbnails Starting to buy turbo parts for my Truck Manifold build-turbo-mod-pic-2.jpg   Starting to buy turbo parts for my Truck Manifold build-engine-mod-pic.jpg   Starting to buy turbo parts for my Truck Manifold build-camaro-ss.jpg  
Old 11-30-2007, 11:32 PM
Banned

Willem @ Fuel Injection Concepts's Avatar

is that your bathroom in the backround?

j/p
Old 12-01-2007, 06:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

lol,hell yes.............round hur we's gettin cold when we takin a dump........got any sears and robuck catalogs??? im about out and going to have to start using corn cobs to wipe with!!!
Old 12-09-2007, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

so whats new with it Sk8 ? any updates?
Old 12-09-2007, 06:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ALL UC2
Like This????????

Ok, I Didnt Build This Car So Dont Start Slamming Me About Stuff On It.....i Just Bought It Not To Long Ago And Got A Good Deal On It.there Is Some Stuff I Would Change About It If I Had Built It, But Oh Wheel....must Say Car Runs Pretty Damn Good, Has Almost No Lag Since I Cut The Exhaust Off Of It......there Was A Little Lag With The Magnaflow 3inch Single Exhaust On It. Car Has Not Hvac. Dont Know If You Could Run The Dp Like It Is With The Hvac In Place........this Car Makes Me Excited To Get My Other Turbo Car Finished.

looks like it has only the one side header going into the turbo. Can you do that?

Quick Reply: Starting to buy turbo parts for my Truck Manifold build