Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

HID Fogs one on, one off. vise versa. Help!

Old 11-28-2007, 01:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HID Fogs one on, one off. vise versa. Help!

hey guys i got a set of HIDs off a non sponsor awhile back and i love them. but i have always had a problem with getting them both to turn on, generally only one comes on and after numerous times of on/off of the fog switch i can get them both on. any idea on how to fix this?

BTW, it's a really good HID kit so i know it's not because of cheap quality. i've heard of this happening before but couldn't find the fix it thread
Old 11-28-2007, 03:52 AM
Launching!

where did you mount them? i first mounted them near/ on top of the upper rail and it was touching the support.. even though its not a conductor it i guess shorted or grounded my ballast and it kept busting my fuse.. first check your fuse box for me it was the pwr acc fuse.. then tinker with the location of your ballasts. hope that helped..

also try not to keep your fogs in the on position when you take your key out.. if you have the stocker alarm or whatever it flickers the hid and sometimes will bust your bulb
Old 11-28-2007, 10:06 AM
Banned

having the same problem with ones i bought from a sponsor, even mounting in a different location really hasn't helped the problem. My next attempt is buying a fabbed up wiring harness with all the proper gauged wire, connections to battery, relays, ect.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

same problem with me even blew the fuse for the fogs lamps. what did to solve problem is manually turn them on and off. that means when you are going to use them then turn them on and when you turn off the car turn them off also. when i would leave them on and lock the doors they would flash whick causes a surge of current i think and blew my fuse
Old 11-28-2007, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Try wrapping your ballasts with electrical tape. Sometime that helps
Old 12-02-2007, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

it's the kit that just plugs right into your stock harness so you don't even have to dick around with anything. i try manually doing it and after about 10 trys it will turn on. mounted in stock spots, in stock housing
Old 12-02-2007, 04:21 PM
TECH Addict

With the problems I see people having, I would run them off a totaly separate relay witht direct power.

That should work with no issues, I think.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by samson_420
With the problems I see people having, I would run them off a totaly separate relay witht direct power.

That should work with no issues, I think.
thats what i will be doing with my fogs and low beams. the harnesses should be coming in the mail sometime soon
Old 12-02-2007, 08:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like the factory wiring is not producing enough power to the lights. I would get a relay harness for the fogs.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:20 PM

You need a relay.
-Nathan
Old 12-05-2007, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Try a relay, if that doesn't work then next it could be a bad ballast. Anything you put HIDs on should DEFINITELY have a relay. Even though they run at 35w, the high current rush when they ignite isn't good on the skinny stock wires. Also all the ones you buy, even off non-sponsored links have a 1yr warranty so no worries if it comes down to that.

Just a FYI... HIDs in fogs, as awesome as it looks, will definitely blind oncoming traffic. They don't have a cutoff like our headlights. Even our headlights are questionable for HID-conversions and without a doubt must be aimed properly. I run yellow-ion bulbs in my fogs. It contrasts the HID headlights as well as being actually useful in the fog/rain and I know I'm not blinding oncoming traffic.

Search this Thread