Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tranny stuck in gear with no warning signs...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 06:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Tranny stuck in gear with no warning signs...

Hi. So, I'm on my way home from work today, just regular stop-light-to-stop-light driving in heavy traffic, and my car gets stuck in 2nd gear. I come to a stop, try to get it into 1st, and it really struggled before finally going into 1st. I pull over, turn off the car, start messing with the shifter, and eventually it frees up. I check my clutch master and the fluid literally looks like mud. My car has over 90K on it. I bought it used at 70K, so I'm not sure exactly what all has been done, although I'm going to try to find out. So, my question is, what am I likely looking at here? Is it as simple as the disgusting fluid causing my clutch to get stuck engaged? What other possibilities are there?

As I said in the subject, there have been no warning signs as far as clutch slippage or pedal problems, and certainly no transmission problems at all to speak of. No grinding or popping out of gear or unusual sounds or anything.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Last edited by RAGEman; 11-28-2007 at 06:44 PM. Reason: removed name because it's in the sig
Old 11-28-2007, 06:56 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bleed the clutch fluid using the old school message. I doubt you have trans or clutch related issues. Sounds like the hydraulics are old and the fluid is slime.

Amber
Old 11-28-2007, 07:23 PM
TECH Resident

Not sure why I didn't mention this, but after parking it and freeing up the shifter, the car proceeded to drive another 3 or 4 miles perfectly, as if nothing had ever happened...

WEIRD.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:23 PM
TECH Resident

Yep, Mine did the exact same thing. then 2 days later died for good.
I figure it is my hydrolics as I have 76k on the orig clutch setup and much more than stock parts.

Might as well do the gambit and replace clutch,PP, slave, master and pilot.
For me anyway.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:27 PM
TECH Regular

i had the same problem the slave is shot . not holding pressure like it should .
Old 11-28-2007, 08:29 PM
TECH Regular

then i got my centerforce clutch/flywheel and my it about a month and blew the 3/4 syncro damn hollow keys. i was then stuck in 4th gear
Old 11-28-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Resident

Easy to tell if you have the same Hydo issue I do,
when it is running you can't put it in any gear, while turned off you can, then you can start it and the clutch works find (till you shift it into neutral ) then it is in lockout again.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by killer01ws6
when it is running you can't put it in any gear, while turned off you can, then you can start it and the clutch works find (till you shift it into neutral ) then it is in lockout again.
Well, this isn't exactly the case. When I restarted, the car drove completely normally. It went into every gear as smooth as it ever did.

I'm going to change out the fluid first, as this would be the easiest fix, and then see what happens. I mean, that fluid is as dark as sin.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RAGEman
Well, this isn't exactly the case. When I restarted, the car drove completely normally. It went into every gear as smooth as it ever did.

I'm going to change out the fluid first, as this would be the easiest fix, and then see what happens. I mean, that fluid is as dark as sin.

No, that is how mine is now, after it did a complete fail. you missed my other post befrore.....

Yep, Mine did the exact same thing. then 2 days later died for good.
I figure it is my hydrolics as I have 76k on the orig clutch setup and much more than stock parts.

Might as well do the gambit and replace clutch,PP, slave, master and pilot.
For me anyway.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:58 PM
TECH Resident

No, that is how mine is now, after it did a complete fail. you missed my other post befrore.....
No, I didn't miss your first post at all. But, in your second post you said,

And I merely said that wasn't exactly the case. At least not yet. In other words, it hasn't completely failed on me. Yet. So, there's no way for me to tell, yet, if I have the same issue as you. Not until it completely fails and won't go into any gear, as you said yours did. Agreed?

Sorry for the misunderstanding, old chap. I'll just say, at this point I HOPE it's not a mechanical problem with the clutch, or, God forbid, the tranny.

Then I might have to shoot myself.

Quick Reply: Tranny stuck in gear with no warning signs...