Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

anybody w/ dual friction Centerforce clutch

Old 11-28-2007, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question anybody w/ dual friction Centerforce clutch

I've got an 02 WS6 M6 . I put in a dual friction clutch / flywheel a few months back and have noticed that when im shifting at higher rpm's the tranny wants to hang up somewhat. It seems like it hangs up when shifting out of the gear and it has done it since it was new and drives and engages excelently other than at high rpms. I've also noticed after running the car hard a couple of time the pedal feels like its losing pressure and hags closer to the floor, but if u pump it a time or two its back to normal. Could i just need to install the shim kit to fix this problem or is this just a trait of the Centerforce . All hydraulics are new and even did the drill mod on the master cylinder can u guys think of anything else it could be or that i need to check or possible solutions if anybody else has had this problem.

Thanks
Old 11-29-2007, 08:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

adjustable master usually fixes this problem with the centerforce DF
Old 11-29-2007, 09:41 AM
11 Second Club

I installed a McCleod adjustable master at the same time I installed my DF, but I've had no such problems...

-Will
Old 11-29-2007, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

My clutch starts to grab, with the petal all the way to the floor once I start getting up around 4k+ the car starts creeping forward.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:55 AM
11 Second Club

Mine does the same thing hangs up and dont wanna shift. I'm about to put a spec 4 back in. I had the spec 4 before I swapped it to a auto. I loved that clutch! Center force is Junk!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-30-2007, 01:24 AM
12 Second Club

is it the 11" or 12" version? Did you replace your pilot bearing when you did the install? I had the same problem when i installed my first centerforce and it was all because i didnt replace the pilot bearing and didnt have the clutch and flywheel balanced together. It ended up throwing my clutch out of balance and the "weights" on the clutch had to compensate for the balance problem. Thanks to the weights being so far off i couldnt shift at high rpms. I contacted Will Baty with Centerforce on this site and told him about my problem. He was VERY helpful and when i got my new centerforce/flywheel combo i made sure they were balanced and replaced the pilot bearing. Now it shifts like a dream!
I LOVE my centerforce!

Brent
Old 11-30-2007, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1powerhouse02
is it the 11" or 12" version? Did you replace your pilot bearing when you did the install? I had the same problem when i installed my first centerforce and it was all because i didnt replace the pilot bearing and didnt have the clutch and flywheel balanced together. It ended up throwing my clutch out of balance and the "weights" on the clutch had to compensate for the balance problem. Thanks to the weights being so far off i couldnt shift at high rpms. I contacted Will Baty with Centerforce on this site and told him about my problem. He was VERY helpful and when i got my new centerforce/flywheel combo i made sure they were balanced and replaced the pilot bearing. Now it shifts like a dream!
I LOVE my centerforce!

Brent
Do you have the 12'' version? I've heard some good things about this.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98camaroLS1M6
Do you have the 12'' version? I've heard some good things about this.
I have the 12" version. I love everything about this clutch. I have not once since installing this one had a problem.(with new pilot bearing, throwout bearing, and having the clutch/flywheel balanced) I have put about 15,000 miles on this clutch so far and it still holds and feels like it did brand new! I drive in stop and go traffic when i am up here for school, give it hell on those late night fun runs, and have made probably 40 passes at the track with street tires and Mickey Thompson Drag Radials. I have slipped the clutch at the track every pass to save my 10 bolt. This thing is solid. I would definately buy one again.

Brent
Old 11-30-2007, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine shifts fine at higher rpm, but creeps when I rev up to launch the car.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:50 AM
TECH Addict

I have the 12" version. I love everything about this clutch. I have not once since installing this one had a problem.(with new pilot bearing, throwout bearing, and having the clutch/flywheel balanced) I have put about 15,000 miles on this clutch so far and it still holds and feels like it did brand new! I drive in stop and go traffic when i am up here for school, give it hell on those late night fun runs, and have made probably 40 passes at the track with street tires and Mickey Thompson Drag Radials. I have slipped the clutch at the track every pass to save my 10 bolt. This thing is solid. I would definately buy one again.

Brent
You had to get it balanced? I thought it came balanced? How is the pedal compared to stock?
Old 12-01-2007, 01:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have one in my car no problems so far.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:14 AM
TECH Veteran

i have the "cluch drag" from mine. so im thinking the pilot bearing wasnt replaced.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does this clutch disk you guys have have marcels, or are the facings mounted flat on the disk? Marcels are the springy or spongey things between the facings and the disk that reduce chatter and the harshness of the clutch in general. If the macels are to tall then the disk will drag, a disk without marcels should not even come close to dragging since it wont be as spongey. All OEM disks or close to stock disks have marcels.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:32 PM
12 Second Club

You had to get it balanced? I thought it came balanced? How is the pedal compared to stock?

sorry for the confusion.......when i bought my first centerforce i only bought the clutch and reused my stock flywheel (got it turned). I didnt get those 2 balanced together like an idiot.. When i got the clutch/flywheel combo from centerforce it was balanced together.

Brent
Old 12-02-2007, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

sorry for the confusion.......when i bought my first centerforce i only bought the clutch and reused my stock flywheel (got it turned). I didnt get those 2 balanced together like an idiot.. When i got the clutch/flywheel combo from centerforce it was balanced together.

Brent
oh thanks, but how is the pedal compared to stock?
Old 12-02-2007, 11:02 PM
12 Second Club

oh thanks, but how is the pedal compared to stock?
clutch pedal is pretty close to stock. It releases almost like stock too. Its not as close to stock as a LS7 clutch but it is definately better than a Spec! The centerforce will handle a little "slipping", its not a "on/off" clutch like some of the others.

Brent
Old 12-03-2007, 03:59 PM
11 Second Club

I have the 12" and I've had great results...purchased the clutch/pp/flywheel all from Centerforce at once, installed a new slave and McLeod Ajd. Master at the same time, have had no problems...

-Will

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: anybody w/ dual friction Centerforce clutch