Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Please help me out! [Stock keyless entry]

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 01:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me out! [Stock keyless entry]

My GM remote has the hardest time remembering the code to the car. It's the cold. I had the same problem last winter, and went all summer without a single problem. Come the cold temperatures again, and it's back.

I have to resync my remote literally every time I unlock my car and lock it wherever i went. To unlock the car after it's been sitting a while, it takes at minimum 3 pushes, of which the parking lights flash for just a fraction of a second (the only way i can tell is because i have LEDs) and it sounds like it unlocks, but puts limited power to the locks and doesn't unlock it all the way. (hence the multiple pushes) If it takes 3 pushes to get the driver door unlocked, the remote no longer has lost the code and will no longer work until resync'd (lock/unlock held down for 8 seconds).

It's obviously something electronic related, and dependant on temperature.. the warmer it is, the less likely i have to resync the remote, until you hit about 60, when the problem disappears completely.

-The battery in the car is great, no lost power or hard starts in any conditions.
-The battery in the remote has been replaced.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The remotes all have a set code, the car is the one that learns what the transmitter is. Sounds more like a problem with the car's system than your remote. Especially considering the remote is probably with you in your pocket and you are inside the house or at work or whatnot most of the time.

You could try just another remote and see what happens but my guess is an issue with the system in the car, not the remote.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

Where is the remote receiver in the car? I will take a look at it and see if there are any bad grounds or leaks or something..
Old 11-30-2007, 06:59 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The receiver is built in to the BCM (Body Control Module). It is a black box about the size of a paperback book mounted under the right side of the dash behind the glovebox.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

Is it just under that cover underneath the glovebox? I'm going to take a look at it later today probably and try and clean up the grounds if i can find one and do a quick visual check to see if i can see any problems.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

Well, I had some time today to check out the car, and so I took a look at the chassis ground under the hood and here is what i found:

I cleaned them up nicely and I'm fairly sure this was the problem. I cleaned up the top part previously and the problem got a little less frequent, so after cleaning this up, I think the problem should be gone.

Just thought I'd give a follow up to those that may be having the same or similar problems.