Sponsored by:

no oil pressure after cam install

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 09:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no oil pressure after cam install

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...hreadid=331568

i didn't want to have to write it all again. i need some help with which direction to go. thanks for the input
Old 06-23-2003, 10:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Default Re: no oil pressure after cam install

...not hard if you do this:

1. loosen the oil pan let it hang down
2. remove the timing cover (again)
3. remove the oil pick up tube (use a rag so the bolt does not fall into the pan)
4. remove the 4 bolts that hold the oil pump in place
5. take off the pump a dissamble it to see if the spring check valve is stuck..
6. put the pump back on the crank but do not put the bolts in yet. (IMPORTANT)
7. put a new o-ring on the pick up tube
8. start the pick up tube bolt making sure the o-ring does not get pushed up into the pump where it will get ground up by the pump gears.
9. ONLY NOW INSTALL THE PUMP BOLTS
10. put the cover on including the pulley

Question: when you changed the cam, did you use the old timing set? If yes, I assume you did not remove the pump the first time.

You may want to reconsider and change the timing set (double roller is only $80) and use a fresh pump?????

This is fairly painful, so you do not want to do this again...hey it is only money, right?
Old 06-23-2003, 10:28 AM
TECH Resident

i put on a rollmaster double roller chain. one question i have is with the o-ring. i pretty much just set it on the pickup tube but it could go down just a little bit farter around a bigger radiased part of the pickup tube. where exactly does that thing go? does it just set there or does it have to be put around the larger ring? i, however, don't think the o-ring is the problem anymore becuase everyone says i would have at least some oil pressure.

i guess i'll start taking it apart again and check the spring check vavle inside the oil pump. i'm not really sure what i'm looking for in there, so if you could give me a little more detail that would be great. or maybe it's one of those things that when you get in there its obvious
Old 06-23-2003, 12:00 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

It sounds like you put the O-ring on the right groove, it just kinda sits there before the wider part of the tube. Use a new O-ring every time you have it apart. Since the rollmaster has spacers for the oil pump sometimes you have to manipulate the pickup tube further to the front of the engine. Or bolt the pickup tube to the "loose" oil pump first, then bolt down the oil pump with spacers.

FYI I apply some grease to the o-ring and where it fits in the pump and have never had any problems with cutting the o-ring.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

i bolted the pickup tube on first then put in the spacers and bolted up the oil pump. i'm really thinking now that there must be something wrong with the oil pump. i'm going to pull it all apart again and take a look at it tomorow. if anyone else has anymore input though, it would be appreciated.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:18 PM
TECH Veteran

....replace the pump = cheap insurance...

the o-ring just sits down loosely on the first grove...it is about 1/2 inch from the end of the pick up tube...dont push it past the lip in the tube!

if the problem was an oil puckup o-ring, you would know it by taking it apart....if the o-ring was on the tube, the problem is not the o-ring...