Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: WILL RUNNING OPEN HEADERS HURT MY MOTOR?
YES, IT WILL HURT IT. DONT DO IT!
16.33%
NO, IT WONT HURT ANYTHING BUT THE EARS OF OTHER PEOPLE IN TRAFFIC. LOL GO AHEAD!
71.43%
IM NOT SURE, BUT I WOULDNT RISK IT
12.24%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Will Running Open Lt Headers Hurt My Car???

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 12:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Will Running Open Lt Headers Hurt My Car???

this an often debated question and i would like to try to get any info and opinions i can.
i just put ceramic coated Hooker long tube headers on my 2002 ls1 camaro. the motor is currently stock besides the LT's. i haven't got my exhaust for it yet so i was wondering if it would hurt my car to run open headers? not daily driving, just to drive around town a couple of times for fun. i havent had a chance to drive it in three weeks, and its killing me! i have heard that open headers might hurt the valves but i cant really get a staight answer out of anyone! please post your opinions and any info you. if you do think it will, then explain why.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might fry your O2's. I drove mine for a week open LT's till I could get paid again & to the exhaust shop.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

im not worried about the o2s because im gonna get simulators. other than that was your car ok?
Old 11-29-2007, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

There are alot of people out there that run open headers for along time before ever getting their exhaust done on their cars. It's the same thing as when you put dual cutouts right behind the headers, so no it won't hurt your car. About the valves, if you run WITHOUT manifolds or headers it will burn your valves up. The manifolds stock create a small vaccum called scavenging that pulls all of the exhaust out of the engine, headers do this ALOT better, quicker, and the exhaust flows alot better and allows yor engine to spin freely. Without that all of the exhaust stays in there and has to wait to be pushed out, therefore making everything work harder to operate. Go for it!!
Old 11-29-2007, 12:57 PM
TECH Resident

Ran mine for about a month... no problems (save the headers buring through the O2 wire because they were touching the metal --> HEATWRAP!!!!)
Old 11-29-2007, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sixpack_2_go
im not worried about the o2s because im gonna get simulators
You have to run front O2 sensors period. The rears are only there to let the ECU know that the cats are in-op. Sims, if you can still find a vendor that has some leftover, are designed for rear O2 positions only.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

I ran open headers for a few months, and that was before and after installing my MS3. You don't want to run straight open headers, because on deceleration the headers are going to suck in fresh air and drive the O2s crazy. I just made some bullshit 12" extensions and slipped them on, and the car ran with no problem whatsoever.
-Joel
Old 11-29-2007, 03:00 PM
dug
Banned

yes, the scavenging is so great, it literally sux out the pistons
Old 11-29-2007, 04:05 PM
TECH Regular

you need to get it tuned though.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your car will run rich as hell because the O2 sensors will be expossed to oxygen making the ECM think the engine is running lean.

And although most people on this board don't care, it's anoying as hell and inconsitterate to others who have to share the roads with us.

Re'
Old 11-29-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah that's gonna be insanely loud for daily driving, but if you're doing it for fun, why not! I used to have cutouts at the end of my Lt's and uncapped them every now and then for my friends. It's really funny when you pull up next to a guy on a Harley and drown out the sound of even HIS exhaust. Just watch out for the bacon and have fun!
Old 11-29-2007, 06:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dug
yes, the scavenging is so great, it literally sux out the pistons
It won't hurt anything. I may be a little concerned with shorty headers and very cold weather. But with longtubes in arkansas probably not so much....
Old 11-29-2007, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

thanks for the help guys. now i can drive it and not have to worry about hurting it. im gonna take it for a drive after i get off work tomorrow!
Old 11-30-2007, 12:45 PM
12 Second Club

im not worried about the o2s because im gonna get simulators. other than that was your car ok?

The front still need the o2's you put the sims on the 2 rear ones
Old 11-30-2007, 05:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

You should be alright and your engine should never suck in air in the exhaust sounds kinda backwards.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rob M
You have to run front O2 sensors period. The rears are only there to let the ECU know that the cats are in-op. Sims, if you can still find a vendor that has some leftover, are designed for rear O2 positions only.
You don't have to use any O2s with the right tuning. My car runs in open loop constantly.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by craz1469
You don't have to use any O2s with the right tuning. My car runs in open loop constantly.
really? Take a closser look. All 93 f-bodies run open loop and they all have o2 sensors.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02WS6_TA
There are alot of people out there that run open headers for along time before ever getting their exhaust done on their cars. It's the same thing as when you put dual cutouts right behind the headers, so no it won't hurt your car. About the valves, if you run WITHOUT manifolds or headers it will burn your valves up. The manifolds stock create a small vaccum called scavenging that pulls all of the exhaust out of the engine, headers do this ALOT better, quicker, and the exhaust flows alot better and allows yor engine to spin freely. Without that all of the exhaust stays in there and has to wait to be pushed out, therefore making everything work harder to operate. Go for it!!
Umm... stupid question but who would run the car without manifolds or headers.?
Old 12-01-2007, 11:11 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Running open headers may burn out your O2 sensors. You're supposed to run at least ~12"-18" piping off the collectors to be 100% safe. So, I voted "don't to it," because you definitely CAN damage your O2's, which will cost you over $100 in parts, plus labor if you don't want to replace them yourself.

It'll also hurt your performance to run open headers...

So, in short, it may cost you ~$150 or so to do this. Is that worth the risk? If it is, go for it.

Your FRONT O2's are the ones that get burnt. You can't get simulators for them. You need front O2's.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:08 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by snksknr
really? Take a closser look. All 93 f-bodies run open loop and they all have o2 sensors.
I have O2s also, but all there doing is plugging the holes. My car receives no information from them. It runs a lot smoother too. I was just saying you can ditch them if you wanted and had access to tuning software, then you would never have to worry about them again.

Quick Reply: Will Running Open Lt Headers Hurt My Car???