Street racing claims another life.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 04:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Street racing claims another life.

I hope this isn't anyone we knew.

HOUSTON -- A teenage driver was charged Thursday after a fatal wreck that police said was caused by racing, KPRC Local 2 reported.

Investigators said two vehicles were speeding on 34th Avenue and Texas Avenue in Texas City when they collided at about 10:45 p.m. Wednesday

One of the drivers, Blake Emory Engels, 16, died instantly.

The other driver, Christian Rico, 17, was charged with racing with bodily injury or death, a second-degree felony.

Police said Rico and Engels might have engaged in a side-by-side race down 34th street when both drivers lost control of their cars and crashed.

Engels' Pontiac Firebird flipped 10 times, according to a witness.

Rico was charged with a crime that is new to Texas.

"We have used it a few times down here with young kids that just decide to race. Normally, it's tragic events," said Capt. Brian Geotschius with the Texas City Police Department. "This is a very serious crime although it may seem innocent to these kids doing it -- and adults. But, this resulted in a death."

If convicted, Rico faces from probation to two to 20 years in prison.

Both teenagers attended La Marque High School.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DAM.. that sucks.. ******* stupid kids dont know how to race...
Not that you should be racing up and down the streets like that.. But it seems its always the teenagers that kill themselves.....

We had same issues bout 9 months ago here in Dallas.. teenagers racing.....
Old 11-29-2007, 05:05 PM
Teching In

Default Street Racing

Street racing has been around forever ... And will be for years to come . It just needs done responsibly
Old 11-29-2007, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how did both cars lose control at once?

ive street raced, but always outside of city limits, where the two willing participants of the race are the only people in harms way... lets just be thankful they didnt hit a pedestrian or another car
Old 11-29-2007, 05:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like someone said ^^ there really is a right and a wrong way to street race. You've gotta be smart about it - don't race on a curvy road, make sure you are familiar with the road, make sure the road is wide enough, no ditches on either side of the road, no traffic, etc.... These dudes probably had little street racing exp. and experience is the key to any success...

I'm not advocating street racing for the reason posted above, but there are safe ways to do it..
Old 11-29-2007, 05:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Silas2k
how did both cars lose control at once?

I would take a guess, and say there might of been a good dip in the road..
Like water drainage, and they both hit it, it then threw the cars front end up, and kicked the back ends out... Then bammm...

They both are gonners.....
Old 11-29-2007, 06:06 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

That is no place to be racing I drive that way all the time!!! Tragic that our youth dosn't have any better comon sense then this. Sorry for the kid familly and friends for sure.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:12 PM
Staging Lane

sucks what happened but I don't think the other kid should be held accountable for someone else's mistake. He didn't force the other kid to race, they each made the decision to race on there own. Like I said before, sucks that someone lost their life, but if the other kid goes to jail, that will just be wrong IMHO.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:14 PM
TECH Junkie

well the kid was racing, so death or no death I think he should face some kind of jail time, but I dont think he should be responsible for the other kids death.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
well the kid was racing, so death or no death I think he should face some kind of jail time, but I dont think he should be responsible for the other kids death.
I don't think he should get jail time. I think he needs to get probation and community service, and lose his license for a while. the way they are charging him with "racing with bodily injury or death" is wrong.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:21 PM
TECH Junkie

probation and community service? thats just a slap on the wrist. He should get much more then that. I know most people on here have street raced, but I can honestly say I dont. I've maybe done it twice in my life and it was only up to 70-80 and I wouldnt really even call them races. its stupid IMO, the consequences are huge and not worth the risk. He should know he fucked up, and a little probabtion/CS wont do it IMO.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by chargerR/T
I don't think he should get jail time. I think he needs to get probation and community service, and lose his license for a while. the way they are charging him with "racing with bodily injury or death" is wrong.
word.

the only reason i would see jailtime as a punishment is if the other driver wrecked into the other persons car resulting in a fatal accident
Old 11-29-2007, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by | Powered by Satan |
word.

the only reason i would see jailtime as a punishment is if the other driver wrecked into the other persons car resulting in a fatal accident
exactly, then I could see them hitting him with manslaughter and that would be atleast some jail time IMO.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:24 PM
TECH Pimp

I feel bad, but you know the risk you take when you do it. Him being charged for anything other than racing (the only crime he committed) is bogus.

Also, I hate hearing "Another life taken by street racing" as though it street racing were even a drop in the bucket for vehicle fatality's.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There was no hidden or veiled implication in my title and if you read that into it I sincerely apologize. It was my intention to emphasize the inherent dangers of street racing. I know a lot of people that do it, I used to do it, but realise that there are elements, variables if you will, that even the most careful street racer cannot avoid; a blown tire, a pedestrian suddenly appearing, etc...

But I will say, considering the street where this accident happened, it was pretty stupid.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

What's fucked up is my lil brother goes to school with that kid, he even grew up with him.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:34 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Holy ****, just this Thanksgiving my mom told me her and her buddys used to race down that same street back when she was in highschool.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Pimp

Originally Posted by Blue's_Z28
It was my intention to emphasize the inherent dangers of street racing.
I know, I'm just tired of the news twisting everything into a street race. Makes it hard to even go to the store without getting ten dirty looks and 5 tickets.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

damn, they were young. probably both new drivers
Old 11-29-2007, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

dI bet they both have myspace accounts