Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 PCM decision...(long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS2 PCM decision...(long)

I have a 2007 ls2 58x reluctor wheel motor and I'm trying to figure out what all options I have for the wiring harness and PCM. I will be using drive by wire with a manual transmission and I currently have a '05 GTO harness with the foot pedal that I was used with the E40 PCM. I know I can go with Speartech or another companies reworked/new GM harness or the Painless/BS3/FAST and so on... Thos are all great options and I have nothing against any of those companies except for the $$$ layout. I am pretty sure that I do not want to go with any of the aftermarket stuff because those have some pretty steep price tags and I just don't need all the fancy doo-dads. I have pretty much decided and feel confident that I will try to use all GM stuff and modify it myself. I am wondering what GM harness and PCM I should try to find to start with?

From what I've researched so far the E38 or E67 PCM is the most common type that I could use that will work with a 58x engine, unless someone has seen an E40 being used. Does anyone know what the major differences/advantages are between the E38 and the E67 PCM's? Would a '06+ C6/TBSS/SSR/CTS-V be a good source to start with for the harness? Would it be possible to adapt my GTO harness to an E38 or E67 PCM by changing the J1, J2 and J3 connectors?
Old 11-29-2007, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

I don't know too much about it but there is a book on ebay that is supposed to be able to walk you through a harness swap. Maybe that could help. I've heard that the E40 is very tuneable but that could just be internet misinformation as that seems to be the norm.

Where did you find your harness and pedal? I'm looking into the same type of thing.

Oh and I sent you a pm. If it doesn't apply please just ignore it. I couldn't help but ask however.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:27 PM
Teching In

I read in Hot Rod Magazine that "GMPP is introducing computer and wiring harness kits that include a DBW pedal. For a 58-tooth-reluctor LS2, order PN 19166568; for an LS7, it's 19166567."
However, when I put these numbers in the GMPP website, there was no match. http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/1..._swap/brp.html
Old 12-02-2007, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by red zed
I read in Hot Rod Magazine that "GMPP is introducing computer and wiring harness kits that include a DBW pedal. For a 58-tooth-reluctor LS2, order PN 19166568; for an LS7, it's 19166567."
However, when I put these numbers in the GMPP website, there was no match. http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/1..._swap/brp.html
Yeah those are just around the corner in early '08 they said. I am definetly going to keep an eye out and see what they run....

copy/paste

This is a standalone system designed for use with late-model LS Series (LS2/LS7/LS3) crate engines and is set-up to be plug-and-play with the engines as-received from GM Performance Parts – including operation of the latest electronic throttle control, EFI, and ignition systems.

The ECM is an OE unit used currently in many GM production vehicles but the calibration is custom and developed specifically for each crate engine family, so recalibration or tuning is not necessary.

Installation of the accelerator pedal (required for electronic throttle control), harness, oxygen sensors, and mass airflow (MAF) sensor is all that is required – add fuel and power and the engine is ready to run. The controller is also adaptable to any vehicle fitted with one of the engines mentioned. Yes, it comes with instructions. According to GMPP, these controllers will be available in early 2008 with the following part numbers: LS2 19166568, LS3 19201861, LS7 19166567.

Features of the system:

Harness has an OE style fuse/relay center (fully populated with required items). To keep wiring clean and centrally-located, there are additional vacant fuse and relay positions.
A 12-wire bulkhead connector is broken out of the harness and includes user outputs such as tach signal, vehicle speed signal (if a vehicle speed sensor is connected at the transmission), malfunction indicator light, fused ignition power, fused battery power, and oil pressure sensor. A mating connector allows these outputs to be tied-in cleanly without cutting into the harness.
Cooling fan control – system will power a fan when coolant reaches 212 F
Fuel pump is controlled by the ECM
Controls late-model LS series alternators
System Caution:

Be sure to mount the MAF Sensor per the guidelines in the instructions – this is critical for correct engine operation.
Ensure the fuel pressure is a constant 400 kPa (60 psi) with the engine running – this is required for correct fuel control.
Ensure the fuel pump has the following flow capability: Minimum 40 gph @ 400 kPa for LS2/LS3s
Old 05-01-2008, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there any more information on this??

I'll be receiving my new L92 engine early next week (& probably the T56 as well), & I've been doing some searching to try to find out which ECM & harness to buy. I know that the LS3 option above ($837.20 at GMPD) is probably what's most like the L92, but I'm hoping to retain the VVT.

I'm going to keep searching (of course), but if anyone has any other info that they could share, I'm sure that I'm not the only one who'd be real happy to get it...

Thanks all.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

"I've heard that the E40 is very tuneable but that could just be internet misinformation as that seems to be the norm."

E40 was the first of the LAN type controllers. Used only in 05 and some 06 applications.
06 the E38 and E67's were intro'd. E67=engines w/ VVT.

A read in Apr 07 GMHP has an extensive writeup on these, and other controllers....

Quick Reply: LS2 PCM decision...(long)