Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

383 stroker help

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 383 stroker help

Whats up guys so i have been trying to figure what i am looking at for clearancing a stock 350 block. I have researched alot but cant find what i am looking for. I have been looking into the scat rotating assemblies and i really want to use the 6 inch rod instead of the 5.7 rod. All i can find on it is that it may cause interference with the camshaft. None of the sites i was at gave me a for sure answer. So i want to know will 6 inch rods cause me a cam problem. I know i will have to clearance the block thats obvious but i dont know about camshaft clearance. Thanx
Old 11-30-2007, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

You need to buy a higher end stroker clearanced rod. Eagle and Scat both make them.
I went with Eagle 3D 6" Hbeams for my 385ci. They will clear all but the biggest solid roller. I did have to clearance the block a good bit to clear them.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:58 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Yea, make sure to use a clearanced rod and a small base circle cam, the clearancing of the block takes a little bit, but it is not bad, just make sure you have a 1/8th gap between all areas that like to make contact.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:12 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1st:You DO NOT need a small base circle cam.
2nd:Cam/connecting rod clearance has nothing to do with 5.7 or 6 inch rods.
A 5.7 inch i beam rod will not clear. It will have to be clearanced. A 6 inch h-beam WILL clear.
Its all in how the rod is constructed. H-beams arent profiled the same as I-beams. They have bolts that go in from the bottom, instead of bolts that are pressed in from the top, with nuts on the bottom.
Its how the rod is made that makes them interfere with the cam.
As long as you're going with h-beams, you're good to go. I-beams, you'll have to clearance the rod. But, its no big deal really. Not hard to do.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:15 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, i used stock rods so i had different issues.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:18 PM

So if i get a scat stroker kit with the 6 in rods i should be fine. I really dont want to use h beams this motor is just for the street. I still want to keep it affordable. From what i have experienced and seen the i beam will support the hp we will be putting out no problem. Do you guys think that the difference of clearance is the push in STUD like oem rods have and the arp BOLTS which would come with a good set of aftermarket rods? thanx for some input.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

Default 383 stroker help

Most cap screw style rods fit with little to no grinding. I've built numerous 383strokers and have used many rod designs. And found that if you run the 3/8 bolt rod you willn't have to grind. But scat sells a 7/16 I-beam rod that will need massaging to work.

Quick Reply: 383 stroker help