Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blew Motor Up

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 12:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Blew Motor Up

Went got my car tuned today at a Dallas Shop. On the way back home the motor blew looks like a it threw a rod through the block. It is locked up. When it rains it pours. I put heads and cam in it Monday and it died today.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that bro. IT sucks when you go through so much trouble to have this happen.Why do you think this happened, was it because of the tune or maybe the heads/cam combo, maybe something was off. Keep us updated on the situation. One thing is for sure, you have to get this car back on the streets. Best of luck to ya!!!!
Old 12-01-2007, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You know I'm really starting to question how durable the LS1 is. It seems like everyday somebody has blowed there's up. Maybe its just me. Just another reason to go big on the bottom.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:02 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry to hear. Reputable tuner?
Old 12-01-2007, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rocksws6
You know I'm really starting to question how durable the LS1 is. It seems like everyday somebody has blowed there's up. Maybe its just me. Just another reason to go big on the bottom.
Although, there are more H/C/I cars on here(stock bottom) that have no problems compared to the ones that blow,it seems there are more stock bottoms going lately and has me wondering the same thing. I have been cammed 2years and added heads and ported fast for 1 year.So far no problems,but did install katechs this summer(incase go with a bigger cam) when i started seeing a trend of guys with rod bolts letting go on the stock bottom(with a large cam such the ms cams).

To the original poster of this thread sorry to hear what has happened.Keep us posted
Old 12-01-2007, 11:20 AM
12 Second Club

Was it in the tune or what?
Old 12-01-2007, 12:28 PM
TECH Junkie

yea mine went about a month ago... it's still in the shop...

I'm thinking the high mileage is the reason we are seeing more and more... it's been years since the last F-body was made, and they've been running ever since, so the engines are starting to get a little tired...
Old 12-01-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

When you add componants to an engine which the factory specs were not made for, you hate to think about it, but you better expect it to blow one day. We all just hope we have alot of fun with it before it blows !

That sucks you just put the H/C package together, and it blows. When were the modifications made to you car ?
Old 12-01-2007, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

well we took the the car to RPM in lewisville thinking they would iron everything out but they did everything but that. To anyone thinking of going there DONT! The setup was PRC Stage 2.5 5.3s/MS3. Nothing extreme. The guys were not listening to anything we wanted done with the car and basically had the attitude of we're doing this sit there and shut up. It came out of there running worse than it did before we went and got 25 miles from home and the motor let go. It was only an 84K bottom end. There was no reason for it to let go other than the tune. The install was done by very LS1 experienced people. Sorry just had to rant.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Phil'sC5vette
When you add componants to an engine which the factory specs were not made for, you hate to think about it, but you better expect it to blow one day. We all just hope we have alot of fun with it before it blows !

That sucks you just put the H/C package together, and it blows. When were the modifications made to you car ?

The heads/cam was done monday night and tuned friday morning. Yes its expected to give out one day but there was no reason for this setup to let go the way it did other than not doing what is expected when you go to a shop to get everything ironed out.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Phil'sC5vette
When you add componants to an engine which the factory specs were not made for, you hate to think about it, but you better expect it to blow one day. We all just hope we have alot of fun with it before it blows..

nothing should blow if the tuner/owner knows whats going on and is fully knowledgable of the outcome of each performance part they put in the car....who knows if the tuner was to blame for this misfortunate accident..or the owner just didn't do his homework with his h/c setup...
Old 12-01-2007, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

Cool

Originally Posted by 35thANNIz28
nothing should blow if the tuner/owner knows whats going on and is fully knowledgable of the outcome of each performance part they put in the car....who knows if the tuner was to blame for this misfortunate accident..or the owner just didn't do his homework with his h/c setup...
I did my homework on the setup the **** was right and should have worked there was nothing mechanically wrong with my car before I went to RPM the car just drove like **** when I left but it had good WOT. It was like since I didn't have $50k in my car they didn't give a **** about my car.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=donalr76;8224295]well we took the the car to RPM in lewisville thinking they would iron everything out but they did everything but that. QUOTE]

There's where you went wrong. I bought my car with a motor assembled by them... long story short. It used 1 quart every 250 miles. HERE THAT?! 1 QUART EVERY 250 #@$%@ MILES. any way... I'm sorry to here that, that happened to you. I have friends that spray on their head/cam stock motors all day long, reve'm up to the moon and are running strong. I strongly suggest that it was faulty craftsmanship.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

sorry to hear that man, wish you the best.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by donalr76
I did my homework on the setup the **** was right and should have worked there was nothing mechanically wrong with my car before I went to RPM the car just drove like **** when I left but it had good WOT. It was like since I didn't have $50k in my car they didn't give a **** about my car.
so apparantly it was the tune huh?!probably leaned it out so much it blew...can't believe those *********** got payed for ******* up a guys car

Last edited by 35thANNIz28; 12-01-2007 at 06:20 PM. Reason: slp mela pela
Old 12-01-2007, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

**** I tried to stop the payment but the bank said I couldn't cause I used my debit card.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

I have got the motor broke down but I don't have a lift to pull it. When I find somebody to let me use their lift I will drop the pile of junk aluminum between the fender wells. I think the motor dropped a valve there are pieces of piston in the intake you can see them behind the throtlle body.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Addict

put up signs saying how badly you got screwed by them. put them in your yard, in front of where you work, all over your vehicle, and everywhere untill they make good. im sure that if you cause enough crap, including driving by their shop with a sign saying they suck, they may see that your pissed.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

Location: Way Out In The Boonies Chasin' Hill Billies, North GA

Dude sorry to hear it....
Old 12-01-2007, 08:34 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
yea mine went about a month ago... it's still in the shop...

I'm thinking the high mileage is the reason we are seeing more and more... it's been years since the last F-body was made, and they've been running ever since, so the engines are starting to get a little tired...
Mines two days short of 6 months. Mine grenaded on attempted startup. I look at it as my car is close to 10 years old and people don't treat these cars like they do a Honda Civic.