12-02-2007, 12:51 PM
i got a 90 454ss truck n i want to kno all what i need to do to convert. over n what all the hte new setup will elinimate... ??
12-02-2007, 11:31 PM
Well, i guess it is the same as the small blocks in the third gen camaros i have done.
1) Remove the in tank pump (easier for you than me due to just lifting the bed), then you will need to install a aftermarket electrical fuel pump, i went with a holley blue.
2) Pick a location to mount the pump and regulator, i would say mount the pump inside the rear frame rails. I mounted my regulator on the fender, mount yours as you please. You will have to wire the fuel pump to your fues box or a soleniod to get it to come on with the ignition.
3) You will of course need the intake and carb of your choice, they are a dime a dozen if you havent allready looked. Then plumb the fuel lines to the carb from the regulator, and the lines to the regulator will have to be blumbed into the factory fuel lines, and the fuel pump will be inline with the rest of the factory fuel lines. You will replace the factory fuel pump with a fuel line to dip into the lower fuel level.
4) Reove the TBI system and intake and do as you wish with all the factory wiring, i have no want to go back with TBI ever again so i cut all of it out, if not, tuck it all away so you can return it back to the EFI if you want.
5) Install the new intake and carb with whatever distributor you choose, i have accell HET billet that works fine. Take your ignition wire for the coil that lights up witht he ignition and wire it in to your distributor(mine was red). I am not sure about the (usually white) tach wire, it might not run the factory tach if it goes thru the computer, i have a aftermarket tach i used.
6) Make sure your carb primes witht the fuel pump, stab the throttle to prime and if you have the timing right it should fire up and be ready for you to tune the shit out of it.
I am sure i have left out some small details you will need to sort out when it is time, i removed the factory PCM and my fuel gauge and volt gauge still work. I have aftermarket oil pressure and temp gauges too. Make sure you get the proper linkage for the kick down cable to still work properly too.
Have fun, hope i helped a bit.