Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drop out or Build up

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 07:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drop out or Build up

I have been looking at prices of complete engine assemblies on Ebay and am beginning to think I may be better off building my own. I have listed the reasons below. Maybe you could play devils advocate and help me out. It will be going into a Miata.

1. Cut oil pan for clearance
2. I would like to run a TKO500
3. Factory headers may not fit
4. I would like to have a thumpier cam
5. I worry about the factory valve train
6. Thinking AFR heads would be nice
7. Looking to the 5.3 smaller displacement and more RPM
8. I would like a lightweight flywheel (light car)
9. I'm only planning to run the alternator and A/C compressor, no P/S or use the lightweight Miata pieces.
10. Really like the GM valve covers with the divorced coils
11. Corvette short water pump will give me extra room

My thought is to find a newer less desireable 4.8 or 5.3 (if I can find one aluminum) short block and then go from there. With the above list it seems that I will be replacing a lot of parts on the engine before it goes in.

Any suggestions? Should I start with a complete engine, short block, or bare block?
Old 12-03-2007, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

If you get a pull out you get should get all the wiring and the PCM, that saves alot of hassle. saves some coin too. those 5.3's seem to be going fairly cheap, whats the cheapest you've seen?

Seem's like it could be simpler to just build what you want with all the changes you want to make.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:16 AM
Teching In

Anyone go the build up route? What did you use and what did you spend? My thought is to go smaller displacement and run it wilder at higher RPM. I don't need much torque in a 2,600 lb car and I want it to talk to people at a stop light. Any 4.8's or 5.3's aluminum?

I am planning to start this project as soon as I get back from Iraq so now is the time to research and get a plan together.