Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

F/I cam question............

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 09:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default F/I cam question............

Ok here is the deal I am stepping down a bit on my setup. Have a few things going on in my life that require me to make changes on my setup. Easier to do this then to sell everything. Which is still somewhat of an option.

I have a Speed Inc F/I cam
226 234 .598 .599 117

This is what I am downsizeing too. My current setup had a set of PP heads, headers, cam, 9" rear and 9-10#'s of boost on the maggie.

I plan keeping the boost at that level (leaving the 2.9" pulley on maybe). Already sold my old block (too many issues it had to go having one built as we speak), sold the heads and the headers. SO this is what is left.

Stock heads
F/I cam above
Stock manifolds
borla
2.9" pulley
9" with 3.89 gears

Normally i go with a setup that works over buying a bunch of high dollar parts trying to make them work just to say I have them. Is that cam too much for stock heads? Or even a set of 317 heads with the stock manifolds? (headers hang too low). I figure I will loose about 40-50 RWHP with this swap. Which will put me around 460-480 I figure. My quesiton is though once again is that cam too much for my needs? I was thinking of just going with a set of LS6 heads and cam if I can get my hands on some. Any imput would be appreciated.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:32 PM
Banned

at that rate why not just find a used LS6 cam to put in it?

That cam is going to give up some torque under the curve, the LS6 cam is better design for your plans, when using stock heads and manifolds. IMHO

Last edited by Fraser@SpeedInc; 12-04-2007 at 12:13 AM.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since it's a Maggie, I think that cam will do fine for you with the stock heads. It may not be perfect but it sounds like money is an issue right now. The lack of headers is going to hurt you worse than that cam.

Jim
Old 12-04-2007, 07:32 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DeltaT
Since it's a Maggie, I think that cam will do fine for you with the stock heads. It may not be perfect but it sounds like money is an issue right now. The lack of headers is going to hurt you worse than that cam.

Jim

I agree. Without the headers, you'll see a big hp loss. Also with manifolds, you'd see a nice jump in boost too. They are too restrictive. Might want to get a bigger pulley.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks guys for getting back to me. I think I am going to put the cam up for sale now then. I did not think it would help me out much when I change my setup. It worked well though with my previous setup, I made the numbers in my sig with that cam.

I guess I will start looking for a another cam
Old 12-05-2007, 08:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say focus on getting some used headers atleast, classified's have some great deals if you catch em. That will make more of the difference than the cam you choose. Find a used LS6 cam and maybe heads, or some 317's and try to get your hands on some used heads if you can. Good luck man, after all that time and money you put in would hate to see you loose too much power now. Headers are key if you can get it too work out.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Ok here is another question on this, I had LS6 springs on my last set of heads that I was using for it. Since I am selling this, I was asked if 918's would be ok to use. I know its close to thier max lift rating, but maybe you guys could chime in. Would you use 918's? I would, just curious abotu what you all think.