Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Really need help picking out new speakers...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 02:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Really need help picking out new speakers...

My roommate is a pretty big car audio guy, but I guess I just don't get it... and he drives a camry, not an fbody so I figured I'd ask some people off of here for some tips... I'm looking for some new speakers to start off with (I'm eventually going with sub(s) later, undecided on what kind or what not. But I really am clueless as to what kind of speakers to get. What kind should I get in the doors? In the back seats? What should I do with the fifth speaker in the hatch? BTW, 1993 Camaro Z28 with Bose system by the way. I have an aftermarket head unit, it's a JVC that's a year-two old. It was the base model. Is there a way to mount tweeters on the a-pillar?

In the end, what I really want is to have some really bright and clear highs with powerful mids. I want the subs I will get in the future to compliment the music, not overpower it. I listen to everything too. Metal, rap, rock, etc...

I've been told to go with Polk db650's, but I didn't know whether to put those in the back seat area too? I've also been recommended Soundstream Tarantula 6.5's... not sure.. I guess I just really need some input on this, I'm asking for a pair of speakers for Christmas (unless I can find 4 for less than $150...). Thanks a lot guys.. much appreciated in advance..
Old 12-04-2007, 07:52 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Replacing speakers on a Bose system requires more than just mouonting new ones and connecting them. Bose speakers are unique in that they have individual amps attached to each one. You'll have to run new wiring for all the speakers (as well as an amp unless you plan to power the speakers off of the head unit). The fifth speaker in the back is a sub (8" I believe) so you may be able to reuse the mounting there for your own sub if an 8" is sufficient for your needs. Don't forget to remove the Bose adapter harness that must have been connected to your JVC head unit when it was installed.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm planning on running an amp for the speakers.. from what I've heard the SQ with speakers with an amp is a lot better, which is what I'm aiming for.

As far as running new wiring, could a normal audio installation do this for me? Would I be able to do it? Also, for the 8" sub, would I need another amp for that or is the one that is already connected the existing sub ample? I guess it depends on the RMS of the new sub?
Old 12-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Yes, the amp you need for your sub will depend on the power handling capabilities of the sub. You can't reuse the Bose amp from the original sub - it's attached to the speaker and it uses low level, high impedance input that your head unit won't produce. Certainly you can do your own wiring. It's not at all difficult but it is somewhat time consuming to do it properly and neatly.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:20 AM
Banned

to give you an idea, this is what i just bought for my 02 Z28:

Alpine 9885 HU
Boston Acoustics PRO60 (front components)
Boston Acoustics G210-44 Sub
Eclipse XA5000 (5 channel amp. 4 ch bridged to 2 for 2x150w for the fronts and 1x300w for sub)

notice i didnt get any rear speakers. allot of fbody owners say you dont need them with a good set of fronts.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well, did the speakers sound good? That's basically the selling point for me..