Got a ticket what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 08:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got a ticket what do you think?

So I got a ticket in april when I totaled my car (hit a gaurdrail) took out the very end of the gaurdrail I hit. The cop that gave me the ticket said its because I damaged city property and because they had to respond and because they would let me use a tow truck. I tol dthem I was fine and they could leave so he was only there long enough to give me the ticket, and the guard rail was actually replace with a new one because of construction they pulled out the old one and put in entirely new posts and metal and extended it about 200 yds further that originally. I have court later today for my ticket which was "unsafe speed for conditions" I intend to fight the ticket on these basis
A, I was doing 40
B, Everyone knows T/A's and Camaros hydroplane easily
C, It was a showcar and I wouldnt drive it like an *** in the rain like that
D My only violation in that car (moving or not) was for not stopping completely at a stop sign in the 2 1/2 yrs I owned it
E, They replaced the gaurd rail anyways
F, I didnt use the city tow truck, I used my insurance's tow truck which I had to wait from 6 or 7 pm when it happened until 2 am for a flat bed tow truck

-what do you guys think my chances are?
Old 12-04-2007, 09:31 AM
Launching!

I"m just 'awwwed' that you would drive a 'show car' in the 'rain'. Unless it's your only ride then we can understand that. Show the judge the facts especially about you using YOUR tow truck. I think you can get out of most of this. Be prepared to still pay for court costs and parking though.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=1gen;8241122]
B, Everyone knows T/A's and Camaros hydroplane easily
QUOTE]

Good luck with that!

Just pay it
Old 12-04-2007, 10:27 AM
11 Second Club

You have grounds for an argument, cop was just doing his job by the book here irregardless of the construction but it wouldn't hurt to try in this case.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:44 AM
Teching In

the cop was being a *****..he was not going by the law...it was his discretion to write it or not..you can beat the ticket in court...i would also consult a attorney that handles tickets as well..
Old 12-04-2007, 10:55 AM
Banned

Make them prove you were driving an unsafe speed for the conditions. It has discretion involved which means it has to be legitimate statement to charge you for it. Tell them you were doing 5 or 10 (You were at 40 right?) under the speed limit. You did your best to control the accident just like the little happy *** yellow drivers ed books tell you too. What more could they want?
Old 12-04-2007, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would just let a lawyer handle it. It will cost a little, but not as much as the ticket, and atleast that way it's a sure thing you'll get out of it, and you won't even have to show up.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Cantalope Kid
Make them prove you were driving an unsafe speed for the conditions. It has discretion involved which means it has to be legitimate statement to charge you for it. Tell them you were doing 5 or 10 (You were at 40 right?) under the speed limit. You did your best to control the accident just like the little happy *** yellow drivers ed books tell you too. What more could they want?
You guys need to do a little more thinking. There is no need to prove he was driving at an unsafe speed. He wrecked the damn car, thats the proof! Just because he was going UNDER the posted limit doesn't make it a safe speed for the conditions.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SilverSierra
You guys need to do a little more thinking. There is no need to prove he was driving at an unsafe speed. He wrecked the damn car, thats the proof! Just because he was going UNDER the posted limit doesn't make it a safe speed for the conditions.
Thank god someone else who is paying attention to what people are saying. My best advice is try to be as nice as possible and be reasonable. As for your show car excuse I would leave that at home for sure. That reminds me of when my friend got pulled over driving his truck like an *** and he said, "I'm used to driving my E55 sorry." It did not go over well, and he sounded like an ***. Also if you make the statement that everyone knows F-Bodys hydroplane easily, and you own one then they will think that you should know better than anyone else how to drive the car safely and avoid hydroplaning. Good luck

Thomas
Old 12-04-2007, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SilverSierra
i disagree. you can still get in a wreck even thoguh you take measures to adapt to inclimate weather... **** happens. what if you get a blowout because of hitting a pothole that you couldn't see because it was full of rain. or hydroplane because of not being able to judge how deep the water is. or a big rig blows by you or a vehicle on the other direction on the road and sends a large amount of water on your windshield and you are temporarily blinded...

a lot of scenarios can come up that are beyond your control, even if you drive slower than the posted speed limit to compensate for the weather.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:13 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
i disagree. you can still get in a wreck even thoguh you take measures to adapt to inclimate weather... **** happens. what if you get a blowout because of hitting a pothole that you couldn't see because it was full of rain. or hydroplane because of not being able to judge how deep the water is. or a big rig blows by you or a vehicle on the other direction on the road and sends a large amount of water on your windshield and you are temporarily blinded...

a lot of scenarios can come up that are beyond your control, even if you drive slower than the posted speed limit to compensate for the weather.

See you don't get it either.

The charge is driving too fast for the conditions. The state already has the proof he was driving too fast because he hydroplaned and wrecked his car. He would need to convince a judge that he was driving at a safe speed, yet still managed to have a wreck? It was a one car accident so he was in complete control. His car did hydroplane, so the obvious thought is well it wouldn't have hydroplaned had he been going slower. There is no set number as to how slow you must drive in the OPs car to NOT hydroplane. So how do you proove to the judge were driving in a responsible prudent manner, yet you were still driving fast enough to cause your car to hydroplane and wreck? You can't walk into court and say 'uh well judge, I didn't see this, or I didn't know that'. If you do, you just further proove you were driving too fast for the conditions. Thats why I said just pay it. Im sure an attorney could find some way around the ticket, but I can't imagine an attorney being cheaper than this ticket.