Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 shifter lose

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 01:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T56 shifter lose

My mechanic replaced the clutch a few weeks ago and now the shifter stick is lose. (A real idiot!)

How do you remove the plastic console to access the shifter bolts?

Thanks!
Old 12-04-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Throw the shifter into neutral and unscrew the ****. Inside the console lid there's two screws towards the front on the bottom, they're 5/16" I believe. Take them out and the rest of that trim piece pops off easily. You may have to pull your boot off before pulling the trim piece off but be careful with that plastic retainer holding the boot in. the boot wraps around it and the retainer clips into the assy so you just have to gently pry it out, sorry I don't know any tricks for it I've never had a good one to work with lol. But once you get the assy off there's a connector on the lighter that you have to remove. The shifter bolts will be right there for the shifter rod. But if it's your actual shifter assy (which it probably isn't) you just take off that lower boot and you can get to those. throw some loctite on those shifter handle rod bolts though so they won't come loose again

edit: it slipped my mind those two bolts in the console lid are under the coin holder.

Quick Reply: T56 shifter lose