Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS7 Clutch Installed Thank you LS1Tech

Old 12-04-2007, 03:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS7 Clutch Installed Thank you LS1Tech

Want to thank all of you for helping, I have searched this whole Manual Trans forum for information on LS7 Clutches being installed and problems people had before and after installation. I read many of people comments and fixes. Because I had the same issues that have been said. Again and again

Time taken about 15 Hours in my Garage,
Most Important tools( Trans jack, Long 1/2" Extentions that convert to 3/8 drive, and Swivel sockets)

This was third time Trans has been out of car, but first time by me. I was pissed . I saw alot of scrapes and gashes on the trans from First clutch install(Spec stage 2), and Trans rebuilt buy a Pontiac Dealer.

Getting everthing off was easy, had trouble getting the trans in , Searched the site got the info I needed. I had to use a thin piece ofwood to get me get the trans in to the Bell housing. My weak arms couldnt slide it in anymore(Slave Cylinder Spring to compress back). So I propped the wood behind the shifter for some leverage and bingo slid right in.
Everthing else went back together nicely.

Pumped the pedal, Started the car let it sit and run, Took the car for a spin around the block, Clutch grabbed nicely. Had some trouble getting into reverse(need to bleed it still), Felt great though especially doing this big of job myself.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good job on the install man...

I plan to get that clutch myself within the year
Old 12-04-2007, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

i also plan to get the LS7 clutch after my stock one wears out in about 30k miles lol.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

did you have a lift??
Old 12-05-2007, 10:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ChaseSS
did you have a lift??
No I dont, I used 4 jack stands and small Trans jack that you use a 1/2" drive ratchet to crank it up or down. I didnt do the job Straight It took me 4 days to get it done. I took my time
Old 12-05-2007, 11:54 AM
12 Second Club

Nice man...sucks doing everything on jackstands doesn't it? Ohhh I'm dreading doing my clutch this winter.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

Doing that on jack-stands is hard-core man. I did mine on a lift in about 3 hours.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

i was thinking about trying it but I don't have a lift and this is starting to give me inspiration.... never done any tranny work before
Old 12-06-2007, 11:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ChaseSS
i was thinking about trying it but I don't have a lift and this is starting to give me inspiration.... never done any tranny work before
Its all about the tools you use. Only other Tranny work I have done was a Automatic Trans Pan gasket, and a Mount. My struggles were with the upper trans bolts to the Bell housing. Especially the one with the bracket that hold the little plastic tube at the top. Removing the exhaust took up some time, but the Hooker Muffler with Flange hook up helped alot with taking it down. Also alligning the Tranny with the motor was some work, With the Exhaust discconnected the Motor tilted forward. I had to use my floor jack to bring it to level when I was ready to put the Trans back in.

It been very cold here in Illinois I still have not bled the clutch, My heater needs a new Regulator for the propane tank. Good luck and this Forum helped me get it done. BTW I used no shim for the LS7
Old 12-07-2007, 02:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the install. I too did mine on jackstands. First time took a while. I think 13 hours total because I was learning as I went. A month later I had to drop it again to replace the crank freeze plug. I had it out of the car in an hour! It is a piece of cake now. May be out again next year for a rebuild. I think my turbo's and high mileage are starting to take their toll in my gears. But yeah, those long extensions are a MUST and that top RH bolt with the plastic tube is a pain in the rear.

No shim on my LS7 clutch either. I added the bleeder extension when I did my swap. Make it MUCH easier!

Search this Thread