Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My '95 240sx 347cc V8 Project

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My '95 240sx 347cc V8 Project

I've had it in my brain to do something with the engine that came out of my truck. Engine is a 5.3L LM7 so yes it's an iron block heavy son-of-a-bitch. But nevertheless after about 4 months of putting around trying to decide what to drop it into I spoke with a friend and decided on buying a junk 240sx and dropping my engine in that. So after a few days bidding on every 240sx on ebay I finally won this P.O.S. RICE box!

The 240 arrived yesterday...and man o man is it a Piece this thing! Good thing I'm gonna tear it down to nothing. I thought I'd amuse you all with a few of the Rice go fast parts that the previous owner adorned me with!

So as it stands there's a nice dent on the left quarter panel, it's missing a parking light, paint is and I can't open the hood but found a few engine parts in the truck!
That could be a sign that I need to make this a mid-engine car! Hmmmm....
So here goes:

From a Distance she doesn't look too bad...

No those aren't dirt marks they are all chipped paint...

Bumper looks like it got *** ram'ed by a truck! Actually most of those scapes on the right side I just made them when pushing the car up into my driveway. Gonna take off all the paint anyways...I'm thinking I might as well learn to paint in this ordeal!

Yup that's what was posted as a small dent...Yeah right!! Lol

I went down the options list and made sure I ordered the Racing Floor mats...which are worth at least 12 rwhp each so that's a good ol 24 right there fellas!!!

The Nos Seat covers and the Drift King shoulder pad I think might push me into 50 added rwhp with my Ricer power adders!

That's right...That neon bar is to ensure I know where the clutch is when I double clutch my bitch when I'm overtaking other Rice! And that red switch is...

And here's the last view of my custom interior. I pulled the radio out because I don't want it known on public forum's what I'm rolling with.

This project is most likely gonna take a while so I'm gonna update things as I go and most likely ask a **** load of questions!
Hope ya'll enjoy!
TECH Senior Member

Plan for the engine are still undecided but it's either gonna be a built up 5.3L with H/C and full bolt ons, or a bored out 5.7 with H/C and full bolt ons. Biggest concern right now is weight distribution so there's no point in getting too crazy with the HP if I'm not gonna be able to hook up.
Here's a couple shots of the engine in question...

TECH Senior Member

I'm getting a great deal of help from a friend and although we haven't gotten there yet we're leaning towards dropping in a trans axle from a old corvette to help re-distribute the weight and try to get a better balance. Will also prove to be more unique and fun to do than a regular swap.
Speaking of which this is gonna be a manual and we are gonna set it up for street use with the occasional track days, strip and course. And a little drifting so we can score with the asian women!
Old 12-04-2007, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

So now that I finally have it in my possession I ripped into it today.
I started by getting rid of all those ricer power adders. I know it's heart breaking and all but they had to go! Steering wheel cover, Nos seat covers, Floor mats, etc...all were the first to go. Second thing I did was rip out all the seats, now its a real Two seater!
Here's what came out of the interior so far! I also removed the rear seat belts and rear interior panels.

Here's some shots of the inside

While I had the interior stripped I took the opportunity to see if I could hammer out that dent on the drivers side...Here the dent before

And here's the dent after...

It's not pretty but at least the sheet metal is now straight. When I strip the paint...a long time from now I'll see if I can smooth out the panel if I have to get a new one.

I couldn't get the damn hood off so I unbolted the hood off the hinges as well as the locking mechanism and took it all off in one piece. Was a PITA but finally got a look at the engine and this is what's gonna be coming out...

I know someone who wants this engine, not sure what kind of shape it's in yet but from what the seller told me it seized up from being run without enough oil...
Anyone know what these engines are about or if they are junk? Where can I find out the engine code? In the glove box I presume?
Right now I'm just tearing things out and throwing them away so if there's anything you guys can think that I should keep please let me know. Would hate to get to a part of this build and realize that I shoulda kept something but didn't.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm gonna be pulling the engine out Thursday night with a friend. We are probably gonna raise the car up on Jack stands and drop the engine out from underneath. NEVER done this before so any help or advice is welcome!
Thanks.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

KA24's are garbage

if its blown just throw it in the landfill.

best of luck with your project, make sure to put a good diff and suspension under the car and youll fall in love.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

well they are garbage power wise but are quite reliable when provided with proper oil changes. however they are worthless to sell.. A dime a dozen. Just an iron block 2.4 truck motor. However my 97 did handle well and was capable of some nasty one wheel burnouts.

Good luck with your project.
I'd do anything to have mine back.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:07 PM
LZ1
Teching In

Not trying to burst your bubble that the motor you had pictured is a 4.8, not a 5.3. Good to get started on and everything mocked up with but I wouldn't plan on getting much power out of it.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LZ1
Not trying to burst your bubble that the motor you had pictured is a 4.8, not a 5.3. Good to get started on and everything mocked up with but I wouldn't plan on getting much power out of it.
Don't worry my bubble's not popped!
The 4.8L and 5.3L are the same exact blocks. Only difference between the two engines is the stroke, they actually have the same bore as well. If you notice right below the 4.8 you can see the 5.3 stamped in it.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

So yeah I found out it's a ka24de and it is indeed junk so off it goes into the junk yard!!
Thanks for the support guys, suspension on the rear will most likely be from whatever trans axle I get my hands on and the front will be taken care of as well. I hear these cars drive really well if properly set up with the suspension.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

you dont need to change the rear suspension, its awesome. just get good coilovers

the stock rear end (r200) will hold way more power than that 5.3 is going to put down.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Kamin
you dont need to change the rear suspension, its awesome. just get good coilovers

the stock rear end (r200) will hold way more power than that 5.3 is going to put down.
I've read that before and was amazed by the fact that the rear end will support (I've read) up to 650 rwhp. It's definitely a tough decision to scrap the rear end for a trans axle but I'll tackle that hurdle when I get there. My biggest concern is the weight distribution and since this is an iron block it's gonna be more pronounced anyways.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

Dont throw that KA out until your swap is done. There are several things on that motor that will come in handy for you. Such as AC lines/condenser if you want A/C. Also the PS lines can be modded to work with the LS1.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS240sx
Dont throw that KA out until your swap is done. There are several things on that motor that will come in handy for you. Such as AC lines/condenser if you want A/C. Also the PS lines can be modded to work with the LS1.
THANK YOU SIR!! I was hoping to hear from you or one of the few other 240 guys on here!
Ok, I'll pull off the A/C lines and the condenser as well as the Power steering lines and keep them.
Would I be correct in assuming that I'll have to ditch the insufficient radiator and coolant reservoir?
Anything else worth salvaging in the engine bay? As you can see it was pretty well gutted before I got it.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:07 AM
On The Tree

347cc? that's a tiny motor
Old 12-05-2007, 11:04 AM
TECH Resident

looks good so far.

i really think the transaxle is overcomplicating things for yourself.

the iron block only wieghs like 80lb more, and considering how many people put RB/JZ in these car (iron inline 6) it shouldnt be thaaaaat bad.

if you wanna be a badass and put a transaxle in it though, by all means do it, that'd be totally rad.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

The over flow can be kept. Also just get a KA Koyo radiator.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mikespeed95
looks good so far.

i really think the transaxle is overcomplicating things for yourself.

the iron block only wieghs like 80lb more, and considering how many people put RB/JZ in these car (iron inline 6) it shouldnt be thaaaaat bad.

if you wanna be a badass and put a transaxle in it though, by all means do it, that'd be totally rad.
It probably is over complicating things and since this is my first build/swap it's gonna make it that much more challenging. At least it will give us a better idea on what the weight's gonna be like. What are you guys seeing for weight transfer? Then again if your a drifter then you'd probably want as much weight on the front wheels as possible no?
Old 12-05-2007, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS240sx
The over flow can be kept. Also just get a KA Koyo radiator.
Cool thanks, I'll look at those too. Thanks for the heads up, wasn't sure if this radiator was gonna hack it.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Spoolin
It probably is over complicating things and since this is my first build/swap it's gonna make it that much more challenging. At least it will give us a better idea on what the weight's gonna be like. What are you guys seeing for weight transfer? Then again if your a drifter then you'd probably want as much weight on the front wheels as possible no?
No drifters want as close as they can get to a 50/50 weight split. Having more weight up front will give a tendency to over steer which is why a majority of the muscle cars will just spin out if you try to get them sideways. Not saying they cant just its harder.

Quick Reply: My '95 240sx 347cc V8 Project