Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Question about replacing a Bose H.U.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about replacing a Bose H.U.

The cd changer in my 2000 Envoy is crapping out and I'm thinking of just replacing the head unit. It has the factory Bose system in it, does anyone know if there would be any issues with installing an aftermarket one?
Old 12-05-2007, 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

no, it is relatively easy. the only difficult thing is that factory bose comes with a stock amp that you usually need to disable. besides that, everything else should be like any other car...
Old 12-05-2007, 11:05 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

From what I've read, the Bose system is a bit more difficult because each speaker has an individual amp and the headunit's output is designed specifically for their setup. You'll need an interface, not just a simple harness like the Monsoon systems.

Maybe Whitebird00 will chime in and explain.

I'll do a search and post what I find thats applicable.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:19 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/629683-bose-speaker-question.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/630745-replacing-bose-stereo.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/742581-girlfriends-95-bose-cd-player-speaker-question.html
*https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/165963-aftermarket-hu-factory-bose-speakers.html*
*https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/434968-installing-cd-player-bose-factory-lt1-adapter-needed.html*
Old 12-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Unfortunately, things are a little different in SUV Bose systems. Since about mid-2004, Envoys (and TrailBlazers, Raniers, etc.) have used Bose systems with non-LUX amps. Prior to that the Bose systems had LUX amps (Escalades and Tahoes still have the LUX amps). Both versions use a single amp mounted in the right quarter panel rather than the individual speaker amps like in Camaro Bose systems (although the LUX amp is considerably bigger than the non-LUX).

The difference between LUX and non-LUX is significant. Non-LUX amps are basically just ordinary analog amps that take line-level signal and amplify it before sending it to the speakers. This system is quite similar to our Monsoon systems in that it's really just a amp/speaker setup that will work with any Delco head unit.

LUX amps are digital. They receive a very low level audio signal at fixed levels for only the left and right channels. No matter what **** you turn on the head unit, the audio signal never varies. At the same time the amp is receiving Class II data from the head unit that lets it know about volume, balance, fader, bass, and treble settings. The amp takes that data and adjusts its output to the speakers accordingly (even creating the rear channel outputs). This setup requires a special head unit that sends the correct low-level constant audio signal and the data stream on the Class II data bus.

Anyway...yes you can replace the head unit with an aftermarket one but you will need several adapters. There are adapters for the audible chimes, OnStar, steering wheel controls, antenna, and Bose audio signal. However, many people are unhappy with the sound quality after replacing the head unit in a Bose LUX setup. The sound quality is actually very good with this setup (comparable to good aftermarket systems) and the converters don't seem to work as well as the original HU. You might consider looking for a replacement OEM head unit on eBay or one of the truck/SUV forums.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Unfortunately, things are a little different in SUV Bose systems.
I missed the part about this being an Envoy.
I knew they were different. (I saw your previous posts.)
Old 12-05-2007, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the info guys. If it makes a difference the truck is basically a 2000 GMC Jimmy with the Envoy package. I was a bit concerned about HU replacement as I know "high end" factory systems are usually more complex. The head unit itself works fine, but it has a cassette player in it and a 6-disc changer that sits on the front of the console. It will play for a little while and then just shuts off and switches back to the radio. I may just have to go XM or buy an mp3 player. Believe it or not I actually do not have a conventional mp3 player, just my Sanyo M1 cell phone, and the dog ate the wifey's . I do find it interesting that the pre-2004 used digital amps and now they mostly don't. Almost seems kind of backwards.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:57 PM
TECH Resident

So to replace the Monsoon system, all you need to get is the wiring harness and your good to go? No need to disable any of the amps or anything? I got a wiring harness which was supposebly for 93-up GM but when i looked at the connections behind my cd player there was like 3 connectors and the one i got only had one. Which wire harness do i need that will work? Anyone used this one?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...AMP-GM21D.html
Old 12-06-2007, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slikrider20
So to replace the Monsoon system, all you need to get is the wiring harness and your good to go? No need to disable any of the amps or anything? I got a wiring harness which was supposebly for 93-up GM but when i looked at the connections behind my cd player there was like 3 connectors and the one i got only had one. Which wire harness do i need that will work? Anyone used this one?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...AMP-GM21D.html
If you just want to replace the head unit, yes. But if you want to keep the steering wheel controls you will need an adapter.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:01 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

The factory connector is two 10-pin connectors snapped together. The adapter harnesses just make that into a single 20-pin connector. It works the same. The third connector is a 9-pin harness for the factory CD changer - you won't be using that.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

Alright so i could get the harness at at place like BestBuy, Circuit City etc....just seemed to me it had to be a special one but i understand now.

I'm looking into getting the 9883 Alpine HU, along with some Pioneer Rev Coaxial Speakers. Now when i looked into the speaker install thread, they were putting in speakers and tweeters seperately. Is it possible to just get a set of coaxial's (tweeters mounted on speaker) and still have it work correctly?
Old 12-09-2007, 03:52 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Not really. It can be done but you would only be using one of the two channels in each door. Because of the signal filtering done by the amp, many people have complained that the sound quality isn't good doing it that way.

You can buy coaxial speakers and modify them so that the woofer and tweeter run off separate channels. Or you can get coaxial mount components like the CDT set that Ian (Kee Audio) sells. They mount and wire just like OEM and they sound great (I have them in my car).
Old 12-09-2007, 10:15 PM
TECH Resident

Coaxial mount components? You mean a component set with the just the tweeter mount in the middle? I'mkind of confused, a component set will need more power than my HU will give out.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:23 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, they're separate tweeter and woofer but they mount with the tweeter in the center just like a coaxial.

If you're keeping the Monsoon amp when you replace the head unit then the amp already has separate channels to power the components in the door so you'll have no loss of power.