Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is It Holdin Power Back?

Old 12-05-2007, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is It Holdin Power Back?

ok i have a 2000 LS1 with the ms3 in it. i have jet hot LTs, custom 3in ORY, and a 3IN electric cutout. BUT i have a stock catback on the car. the reason for it was to have the car quite, and sleeper for when the cutout is closed. mainly to avoid cops. its pretty dam quite, and it sounds like a v6 when closed. i HATE IT! im really starting to lean towards getting a nice catback. i hear corsa isnt loud under normal driving. just under WOT. witch is cool, and what i would be looking for. but if the gains arnt gunna be much with the new catback then ill just put the money towards something else. so my question is. am i losing a noticeable amount of power with cutout open? the reason for the question is i got to thinking. people say you only gain bout 5hp from a cutout. so maybe the main gain is coming from the catback. and since mine is stock, and with a fat cam. i maybe losing some good power.

what do you guys think? any and all help is greatly appreciated.

thanks
Old 12-05-2007, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want a catback...look at GMMG or Stainless Works version of it. Aside from those, just do it once and get true duals. But with LT's already on it, you won't gain much. With regards to exhaust, the closer to the engine, the more potential for gains.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

i had true duals, and i love them. but they are way to loud for here in cali. thats the reason for the electric cutout. i loved the TSP setup. i just want something that isnt VERY loud @ idle cuz this ms3 lopes pretty hard, and with a 3500 stall i just dont want to ask for alot of unwanted attention from police. true duals would be to loud for cali, and so is the loudmouth. although i like how it sounds aswell. how loud is the GMMG or stainless works @ idle, and light acceleration?
Old 12-05-2007, 12:03 PM
TECH Regular

yes a catback will give you decent gains on your setup. I'd say 7-12rwhp. The stock muffler is NOT setup to flow well...
Old 12-05-2007, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea...thats what i have been thinking.. i guess ima have to go back in the market for a catback...i really love the corsa, and its tips. i also like the magnaflow and its tips.. the price aswell
Old 12-07-2007, 02:12 PM
Launching!

Go with Corsa, Patrick...it sounds great and is quiet when you need it to be....but ROARS at WOT!!!

-Matt
Old 12-07-2007, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stangkiller2005
i had true duals, and i love them. but they are way to loud for here in cali. thats the reason for the electric cutout. i loved the TSP setup. i just want something that isnt VERY loud @ idle cuz this ms3 lopes pretty hard, and with a 3500 stall i just dont want to ask for alot of unwanted attention from police. true duals would be to loud for cali, and so is the loudmouth. although i like how it sounds aswell. how loud is the GMMG or stainless works @ idle, and light acceleration?
I have the GMMG with LT headers and its fairly tame in the lower rpm's and at idle but once you open it up its very loud.

Inside the car you can still hold a regular conversation without having to raise your voice to hear over the exhaust.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02 1LE HAWK
Go with Corsa, Patrick...it sounds great and is quiet when you need it to be....but ROARS at WOT!!!

-Matt
thats what im thinkin my brotha! i just cant get ever the tips, and that exotic kinda sound..

i think its "LS2 BAIT" that has corsa on his car. when he posted a vid i fell in love with the deep mean sound it had....

i just rememberd also one of my friends has GMMG..ima meet up with him real soon and get to hear it alil better..see how i like it....
Old 12-07-2007, 11:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stangkiller2005
thats what im thinkin my brotha! i just cant get ever the tips, and that exotic kinda sound..

i think its "LS2 BAIT" that has corsa on his car. when he posted a vid i fell in love with the deep mean sound it had....

i just rememberd also one of my friends has GMMG..ima meet up with him real soon and get to hear it alil better..see how i like it....
magnaflow flows pretty dam good...but gmmg=great gains and a lot louder
Old 12-08-2007, 12:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know why people get a catback. Save the money and get th e muffler of your choosing and cut out the old one and weld in the new one. Have a cutout for when you need it. Saves money and works just as good and you don't have to feel like a douche for wasting that much money.

Search this Thread