Ignition Cylinder problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 07:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Cylinder problem?

Hey guys,
I did a search before I posted, and couldn't find anything like this, so don't come at me with "search first". Recently, I have been having a problem getting my car to start, I will turn the key, all the lights will come on, but the car won't make any attempt to kick over. After repeated key turning attempts, it will start up. So far I have replaced the starter (it was bad), checked for bad connections on it and the battery, and cleaned the battery terminals. Also had the battery tested, its in decent shape, and the altenator is fine. Something I noticed is that if I push in on the ignition cylinder pretty hard, it will start up with less attempts, even on the first turn on occasion. Does anybody have a clue what the problem could be, and if so, how much to fix it? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:31 PM
8 Sec Tuner

My wiring guy is great! Give us a call and we can take a look at it.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:53 PM
10 Second Club

might just be the ignation cylinder
Old 12-05-2007, 08:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tex7387
Hey guys,
I did a search before I posted, and couldn't find anything like this, so don't come at me with "search first". Recently, I have been having a problem getting my car to start, I will turn the key, all the lights will come on, but the car won't make any attempt to kick over. After repeated key turning attempts, it will start up. So far I have replaced the starter (it was bad), checked for bad connections on it and the battery, and cleaned the battery terminals. Also had the battery tested, its in decent shape, and the altenator is fine. Something I noticed is that if I push in on the ignition cylinder pretty hard, it will start up with less attempts, even on the first turn on occasion. Does anybody have a clue what the problem could be, and if so, how much to fix it? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Like Silver SS said I bet it is your ignition cylinder. Does your key have a chip on it? Sometimes the contact terminals in the ignition cylinder get worn out and stop reading your key. I had to replace mine because one of the terminals broke of into the cylinder and it did the same thing. All the gauges would come on but it would not start. DO NOT take it to the stealership. They wanted to charge me $550 bucks just to start on it and reflash my computer when they were done. I replaced mine for $125 bucks. That includes taking the new cylinder to the locksmith to have the tumblers changed to match my original key.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:15 PM
Teching In

Thanks so far guys, I was thinking it was the ignition cylinder because I had tried everything else. So where do I need to go to get the cylinder, because I really hate autozone, and the guy at the stealership parts department has given me wholesale prices on stuff before. Any suggestions? Also, GMChammer, how long did it take you to replace it, how hard was it to replace, etc.