42.86%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Whats the right clutch for me?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 08:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Whats the right clutch for me?

I just had a thread about my Ram breaking after 600 miles. I am gonna go ahead and get a good clutch this time around. I was considering the SPEC 3+ but after hearing some bad experiences with it I am shying away from it! My options now are pretty much Textralia OZ700, Tex Exo-skel, or the Mcloud twin. Now obviously the lower priced one would be my choice if it will withstand the punishment I will be putting it through. My car is a h/c/i and sprayed FRC Vette, I do not have any nitrous numbers yet as the car has yet to be tuned for the spray, but makes 447/402 on motor. I would also like to have enough clutch to hold the built/stroker motor I plan to add in the near future so any info would be greatly appreciated guys, thanks in advance!

BTW this car will be seeing the dragstrip regularly on et streets!

Last edited by Shoaf85; 12-06-2007 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't base a single thread on replaceing your clutch. A lot of people rate clutchs poorly, yet they didn't install them properly or they made to much power for that clutch to handle, or they installed the clutch and took it to the drag strip the same night. Ram makes a good clutch, just make sure you have the level you need for the power you make and your driving style.

If you do go w/ a new clutch, stay away from a Tex. I have seen that product in person and it looks like a damn stock clutch assembly painted yellow, cheap and crappy looking.

I went w/ the SPEC stg. 3+, I love it. It took a little while to break in and now the pedal feel is a tad more than stock and it grips like no other. Make sure to do the adjustable master, that makes a world of difference.

Or, go w/ the new Cartek, I have 4 friends that run that cluch and they all have different power levels and driving styles. That is an outstanding clucth and well worth the $$. The pedal feel is softer and smoother than stock.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm happy with my Centerforce....but I'd advise a Spec 3+ for you...

-Will
Old 12-06-2007, 12:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I voted mcleod twin disk. But another great clutch is the Exedy clutch from LGM
Old 12-06-2007, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its not on your poll but I would recommend the cartek level 7, it has taken track abuse and daily driving and the pedal is like stock, the hotter it gets, the harder it grips. my buddy Eddie put 40k+ on his with heads/cam/n20 unknown amounts of n20 bottles, and 28in et's!!!

Jon
Old 12-09-2007, 08:47 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just bought a 0z700 Z-grip, id i'll be happy to post the results in the spring, the CT car season is at best 8 months

But to be honest, this was my criteria, in no particular order.

Durability: meaning to last more then 5-8k miles of street driving. I've had friends go through spec clutches (two 3's, one 3+, and one is working now a Spec 2, the other went to Ram HD power grip). Part of me says its their driving style, they like to slip it, even at the track, no clutch dumping. I want mine capabile to do both. Especially a 6k clutch DUMP!!

Streetability: Since we cant install a cable clutch on the car, I dont mind hydraulic clutches at all, and when this clutch is in, I would like to maintain the stock feel.

Price: The OZ700 compared to persay a spec or a ram is a lil higher (just about 1000 with GM fly bolts and shipping), I was seeing a ave price of a 3+ being around 700 for the whole kit, just like the tex and for the extra 300 and it actually lasting, will pay for it
's self easily. If I kill one spec 3+ ill be way over my budget on the same clutch or going up to a tex.

For me, with in the next year, the car will be making more power at least 400 N/A through a 12 bolt 3" steel DS and my m6, I drive it roughly 9-10k a year, take it to work once a week maybe during the summer and to the track maybe 10 times (figure 50 passes, if I go on a track rental) My stock LS6 clutch still holds the stock like power, I think its roughly 330 with my mods with a untuned PCM. But mmy slave is messed up and I gotta swap that out, so there goes the clutch and I might as well do it all one shot.

I spoke with Byunspeed, we talked about the Z grip or X grip, we decided on Z but you should speak with them before deciding on the oZ700.

I hope this helps, coming from a person who has the same question a month ago.

Quick Reply: Whats the right clutch for me?